follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2016, 01:09 AM   #1
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Header

I am looking to put a header on my car. I recently bought new tires and rims, catback magnaflow exhaust, springs etc. I am not too familiar with headers so I need some help and have a couple questions. First is a header worth the price and the performance I will get from it? I am looking to buy some pretty decent but nothing too fancy. I am an everyday driver, do not take my car racing or anything. Just want to upgrade it a little bit. Suggestions and info about all this would be great.
Secondly I have also been looking into getting my car tuned, doing it myself. I have been looking at this self tuning kit in the link below. Input on that would be greatly appreciated, it seems to be the way to go as I dont have to take it to a dealer, but I want to know if there is any downsides like maybe not getting the most out of it by doing it myself, or maybe it is the same I dont know?

http://www.modbargains.com/vishnu-op...subaru-brz.htm
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:35 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-29-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 01:37 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,986 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
I am looking to put a header on my car............. I am an everyday driver, do not take my car racing or anything.
Hello @Chase1996 ........

Before you get jumped on ...... I suggest you review some of the 100s of threads about headers and a tune.

It's my understanding that an aftermarket header and tune will allow the engine to make a bit more power and reduce the torque dip.

However, if you're not going to autoX or track the car, and the torque dip doesn't bother you, I'd suggest you leave the exhaust and tune alone.

humfrz - ain't no fun ......

PS - I see @swarb beat me to it......
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (01-25-2016), go_a_way1 (01-29-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 AM   #4
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Get tomei like everyone else
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chen For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (01-26-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 02:20 AM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
I am looking to put a header on my car. I recently bought new tires and rims, catback magnaflow exhaust, springs etc. I am not too familiar with headers so I need some help and have a couple questions. First is a header worth the price and the performance I will get from it? I am looking to buy some pretty decent but nothing too fancy. I am an everyday driver, do not take my car racing or anything. Just want to upgrade it a little bit. Suggestions and info about all this would be great.
Secondly I have also been looking into getting my car tuned, doing it myself. I have been looking at this self tuning kit in the link below. Input on that would be greatly appreciated, it seems to be the way to go as I dont have to take it to a dealer, but I want to know if there is any downsides like maybe not getting the most out of it by doing it myself, or maybe it is the same I dont know?

http://www.modbargains.com/vishnu-op...subaru-brz.htm
read the basic bolt on mods guide below

if all your doing is basic mods and you dont have a tuner nearby then its hard to beat the open flash header and oft tune combo for about $1000 decient header and decient tune
that proven matched combo.assuming you like uel rumble sound.

tomei are good well mde midpriced header.

and if you have an ecutek tuner nearby that familar with brz\86 thats fine as well

if you like uel sound and dont have a local tuner experienced on 86\brz then the oft and header combo for $1015 is probably worth a look you can buy it direct from openflash\vishnu performance
http://openflashtablet.com/Automotiv...OFH/index.html

Last edited by steve99; 01-25-2016 at 03:51 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:32 AM   #6
Chase1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post

if all your doing is basic mods and you dont have a tuner nearby then its hard to beat the open flash header and oft tune combo for about $1000 decient header and decient tune

and if you have an ecutek tuner nearby that familar with brz\86 thats fine as well
Thanks for the reply. As far as I know there are no tuners nearby who work on my car like that, but I will check. As far as the tuning eqitpment goes are you saying they would be more then adequate? When buying one do you just buy the kit(around 450) and it comes with everything needed for the present and future? Or do you have to buy upgrades as you go along.
Also when considering headers I ahve searched so much, what is the difference in the UEL and EL & performnce difference in catless and catted header. I have a catback exhaust so could you sugggest a good quality header? I want to finish off doing my whole exhaust sytem and as far as I know since i have got a catback exhauast the last thing to do is get a header and the whole thing will be aftermarket. Thanks!!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 03:28 AM   #7
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. As far as I know there are no tuners nearby who work on my car like that, but I will check. As far as the tuning eqitpment goes are you saying they would be more then adequate? When buying one do you just buy the kit(around 450) and it comes with everything needed for the present and future? Or do you have to buy upgrades as you go along.
Also when considering headers I ahve searched so much, what is the difference in the UEL and EL & performnce difference in catless and catted header. I have a catback exhaust so could you sugggest a good quality header? I want to finish off doing my whole exhaust sytem and as far as I know since i have got a catback exhauast the last thing to do is get a header and the whole thing will be aftermarket. Thanks!!!!
oft comes with everything you need tune device plus tunes no locks or liciences and oft works a a guage disply for things like oil temp knock etc and to can set alerts to sound

second hand oft sell rearly well for little loss

ecutek you need to buy licience350 plus tune about 250 if you get tuner to flash, if no ecutek tuner arround you need to buy cable to flash for anoyher 350 or so

ecutek you can only sell the cable as ecuteck licience and tunes are locked to car

tomei are probably better quality than openflash but will cost a bit more

jdl are good but probably dearer again

if you read the Basic Bolt on mods Giude below it will answer all your questions

just be wary of cheap ebay headers the fitment is somtimes not good and they may have cracking or corrosin problems.

may be a good option if no local tuner available tune flash device and header for about $1000 as ling as you like uel sound

Last edited by steve99; 01-25-2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #8
Chase1996

Quote:

if you like uel sound and dont have a local tuner experienced on 86\brz then the oft and header combo for $1015 is probably worth a look you can buy it direct from openflash\vishnu performance
Quote:
oft comes with everything you need tune device plus tunes no locks or liciences and oft works a a guage disply for things like oil temp knock etc and to can set alerts to sound

ecutek you need to buy licience350 plus tune about 250 if you get tuner to flash, if no ecutek tuner arround you need to buy cable to flash for anoyher 350 or so

ecutek you can only sell the cable as ecuteck licience and tunes are locked to car

if you read the Basic Bolt on mods Giude below it will answer all your questions

just be wary of cheap ebay headers the fitment is somtimes not good and they may have cracking or corrosin problems.

may be a good option if no local tuner available tune flash device and header for about $1000 as ling as you like uel sound

Sweet man thanks for the info. I think since you recommended I am going to go with that tuning device since everything comes with it & I really like the ft86 header which is about 1000 and its a uel
Old 01-26-2016, 12:44 AM   #9
Chase1996

Quote:

is the openflash header any good? i coud not find any reviews on it
Old 01-26-2016, 01:13 AM   #10
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Sweet man thanks for the info. I think since you recommended I am going to go with that tuning device since everything comes with it & I really like the ft86 header which is about 1000 and its a uel
just be aware that the oft tunes are for catless headers el and uel tunes, if you get the speedfactory catted header theirs not rearly an oft tune to suit that you would need to use the stage 1 tunes which wont be optimal
Old 01-26-2016, 01:18 AM   #11
Chase1996

Quote:
just be aware that the oft tunes are for catless headers el and uel tunes, if you get the speedfactory catted header theirs not rearly an oft tune to suit that you would need to use the stage 1 tunes which wont be optimal
Okay well it seems like the OFH is a good deal and good performance. Both combined is about 1000$ coudl you tell me the HP and torque performance i might get from doing both compared to the ft86?
Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #12
steve99
Banned

Quote:
is the openflash header any good? i coud not find any reviews on it
They seem fine, tomei good as well as jdl
in the midpriced header range

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=o...w=1280&bih=619
Old 01-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #13
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #14
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't understand why this guy should get jumped on at all? Total crap that someone comes in with a solid question and gets SEARCH FOR IT NOOB, or some other crap like that. If you don't want to answer, spare yourself the time and don't answer it. I've never been to a more hostile auto forum in my life and i contribute this to the average age of the forum.

I'll say it again, little bulldogs that grab on and don't let go

Its ridiculous that someone can't ask a question without being ousted and feeling like a moron. This isn't the way you pick up new members
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichardsFRS For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (01-26-2016), Chase1996 (01-26-2016), speeddemon (01-26-2016)