follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
Rossi

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
CEL P0351 Ignition Coil "A" Primary Control Circuit/Open

Hi All,

Was driving yesterday, and my CEL came on, I did drive hard, 1-3 rd gear changing at 7000rpm and then the light came on, I went home, pulled the code with my ELM and got this:

"CEL P0351 Ignition Coil "A" Primary Control Circuit/Open"

Anyone else have this experience? I have been going through some posts on the FT86 Forum regarding this, I cleared the code and did 2 trips today but didn't push the car past 4000rpm. No CEL if it does come up again I'm going straight to the dealer.

I have been reading some guys are saying they get the code once they hit 7000rpm in 3rd/4th gear.

Car has 67000kms on it, no previous issues in the last 3 years of owning it at all. Stock ECU Tune as well. Car is 100% stock other then a exhaust and a drop in filter.

Thanks
Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know what the CEL is, but it sounds like an ignition coil problem which shouldn't be a big issue.

However, I can put your conscience at rest and assure you that hitting 7000rpm in 3rd/4th gear is not a problem.
Our cars aren't made of glass...

My quick sums tell me that my car's been beyond 7000rpm in 3rd/4th about nine thousand times.
That's about 1000 laps on racetracks @ 6x per lap = 6000, plus (say) 3/4 times every time I drive it (5 times/week) for 3 years = 2800
Old 01-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
LostSalad

Drives: Toyota 86 - Charcoal Grey
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
My quick sums tell me that my car's been beyond 7000rpm in 3rd/4th about nine thousand times.
Totalled.

Ever since driving this car I find myself red-lining other cars more often too :/. When I rented a bakkie to move furniture, the thing was so damn slow that red-lining was the only way to get it around.

So our cars aren't made of glass, but would you say driving an Etios the same way every day is a good way to get the engine to blow up?
LostSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LostSalad For This Useful Post:
Rossi (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
Rossi

Garage
Quote:
I don't know what the CEL is, but it sounds like an ignition coil problem which shouldn't be a big issue.

However, I can put your conscience at rest and assure you that hitting 7000rpm in 3rd/4th gear is not a problem.
Our cars aren't made of glass...

That's about 1000 laps on racetracks @ 6x per lap = 6000, plus (say) 3/4 times every time I drive it (5 times/week) for 3 years = 2800

Hi,

Thanks for the response, yeah no I am not afraid to push the car hard, I have heard this engine is one of the strongest Subaru have built in terms of not being "like glass", I drive the car hard on a frequent basis and haven't had any problems ever until now.

Some of the posts I have read have said that when this code comes up and is cleared it comes back when passing 7000+rpm, so will put it to the test and see how it goes.

I have cleared it and if it comes back will take it straight to Toyota!

PS your car is a machine!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi For This Useful Post:
Fish Eagle (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just replace the coil pack.

Not sure what warranty you got out there but it's under the bumper to bumper, not the powertrain.

Over here I think I paid ~$90 USD for the part. But I had to buy a small 1/4" ratchet to fit and get to it.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSalad View Post
So our cars aren't made of glass, but would you say driving an Etios the same way every day is a good way to get the engine to blow up?
Well, guessing that you'd never own an Etios, and assuming that it would probably be a rental - who gives a sh*t anyway?

More seriously, I think modern engines are very robust, but also very delicate.
They need good care, good fluids, and respect like never revving a cold engine - then yep, I think they can do that.

But don't ask me for my engineering degree - I got that at the Capt Morgan school
Old 01-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the response, yeah no I am not afraid to push the car hard, I have heard this engine is one of the strongest Subaru have built in terms of not being "like glass", I drive the car hard on a frequent basis and haven't had any problems ever until now.

Some of the posts I have read have said that when this code comes up and is cleared it comes back when passing 7000+rpm, so will put it to the test and see how it goes.

I have cleared it and if it comes back will take it straight to Toyota!

PS your car is a machine!
Most likely the coil pack

But has been known to be ditry connector at coil pack or bad spark plug.

Unlikely its injector seal as you usually get firecracker poping at intake.

You could probably do coil pack yourself if its out of warantee.

Leave the cel active if you take it to toyota.

If you do take it to toyota make sure they update your ecu calid to latest for your car Will likely be ZA1JA01G , i dont think you guys got A02G but it is compatable with 2012 cars.Anything older like 700G 900G or A01G did not have the transient ingnition retard enabled, can contribute to di seal fail
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
JouMaSeHoes (01-12-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
Rossi

Garage
Quote:
Well, guessing that you'd never own an Etios, and assuming that it would probably be a rental - who gives a sh*t anyway?

More seriously, I think modern engines are very robust, but also very delicate.
They need good care, good fluids, and respect like never revving a cold engine - then yep, I think they can do that.

But don't ask me for my engineering degree - I got that at the Capt Morgan school

I agree completely on the fact that they need good care and good fluids! If you look after it, it will remain happy.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
Rossi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Most likely the coil pack

But has been known to be ditry connector at coil pack or bad spark plug.

Unlikely its injector seal as you usually get firecracker poping at intake.

You could probably do coil pack yourself if its out of warantee.

Leave the cel active if you take it to toyota.

If you do take it to toyota make sure they update your ecu calid to latest for your car Will likely be ZA1JA01G , i dont think you guys got A02G but it is compatable with 2012 cars.Anything older like 700G 900G or A01G did not have the transient ingnition retard enabled, can contribute to di seal fail

I will monitor it and see what happens!

Car is sounding fine, drives fine and no cel again, I did push it to 7400 rpm in 1st/2nd and 3rd about twice and nothing came up. Maybe just a bad connector?

When my car went for a service just after I got it they did a software upgrade and I am sure I got the new cal ID.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I will monitor it and see what happens!

Car is sounding fine, drives fine and no cel again, I did push it to 7400 rpm in 1st/2nd and 3rd about twice and nothing came up. Maybe just a bad connector?

When my car went for a service just after I got it they did a software upgrade and I am sure I got the new cal ID.

Thanks for all the help guys!
It will probably come back, they can be pretty intermittent and only show up fault when car is rearly hot like on track
Old 01-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #11
Rossi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
It will probably come back, they can be pretty intermittent and only show up fault when car is rearly hot like on track

Would you suggest I take it to Toyota and get it sorted straight away?

I did clear the code unfortunately, my car is just daily driver, I don't track it at all
Old 01-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Would you suggest I take it to Toyota and get it sorted straight away?

I did clear the code unfortunately, my car is just daily driver, I don't track it at all
Probably best to wait till it comes back then take it to dealer with cel light on.

Most of the scanners will clear current and stored codes so their will be no record for service techs.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Rossi

Garage
Perfect will do so thank you
Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
Kev01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had exactly the same problem 3 weeks ago...took off and as the engine reached 7000 rpm the engine managment light came on.
I picked the same code but did not clear it. Took it to Toyota and they ordered a new coil after viewing the fault. part is on back order and will arrive mid January. They cleared the code and it has not come back again.
Kev01 is offline   Reply With Quote