follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
tk1138

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DSP recomendations?

I tried some searching, but even "DSP" turned up nothing.
I'd like to find a DSP that I can input BiQuad parameters directly, and/or one that can use the EQ output of REW (Room EQ Wizard) directly. If it has long configurable FIR filters, that would be ideal.

I'm kind of doubtful that car audio DSPs would offer direct IIR/FIR inputs, so if nothing with those capabilities are available, what's the most configurable DSP?

Right now I'm considering the Helix Pro 8 or Mosconi 6to8, leaning toward the Pro. I found a comparison chart from a few years back:

But there are probably some errors. e.g. the Helix webpage indicates it has a 96ksps rate rather than a 192ksps....

TIA
tk1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
xFury

Drives: '16 Scion FR-S - Oceanic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1138 View Post
I tried some searching, but even "DSP" turned up nothing.
I'd like to find a DSP that I can input BiQuad parameters directly, and/or one that can use the EQ output of REW (Room EQ Wizard) directly. If it has long configurable FIR filters, that would be ideal.

I'm kind of doubtful that car audio DSPs would offer direct IIR/FIR inputs, so if nothing with those capabilities are available, what's the most configurable DSP?

Right now I'm considering the Helix Pro 8 or Mosconi 6to8, leaning toward the Pro. I found a comparison chart from a few years back:

But there are probably some errors. e.g. the Helix webpage indicates it has a 96ksps rate rather than a 192ksps....

TIA
I would head over to CarAudio dot com and give them a shout, they're really helpful over there, especially post like this since you seem to have some research done already.

I haven't used a DSP yet, so I can't give much info beside playing with it at the stores. But if you need a Answer from those carts. The Mosconi seems like a better bet since it has more specs info.

Last edited by xFury; 11-21-2015 at 01:40 PM.
xFury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xFury For This Useful Post:
tk1138 (11-28-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Helix dsp pro is the most configurable car audio unit out there, and yes it is only capable up to 96khz.

Mini-dsp has a few that can import correction curves from rew.

There is another pre-dsp box that comes with its own measurement equipment and compensates with FIR filters before it gets to the dsp, then you correct time alignment and crossovers with the dsp. It has been highly reviewed by everyone that has used it. I'll try to get the name later.
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
tk1138 (11-28-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
SteveGrillo

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I LOVE my pp82dsp and the software, once you get used to it.
SteveGrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveGrillo For This Useful Post:
tk1138 (11-28-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
tk1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFury View Post
I would head over to CarAudio dot com and give them a shout, they're really helpful over there, especially post like this since you seem to have some research done already.

I haven't used a DSP yet, so I can't give much info beside playing with it at the stores. But if you need a Answer from those carts. The Mosconi seems like a better bet since it has more specs info.
I took a quick look over there, but didn't see anything already posted. I loathe signing up for new forums (they just wind up sinking so much time). It probably is the right forum for that, I just have to overcome my own resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
Helix dsp pro is the most configurable car audio unit out there, and yes it is only capable up to 96khz.

Mini-dsp has a few that can import correction curves from rew.

There is another pre-dsp box that comes with its own measurement equipment and compensates with FIR filters before it gets to the dsp, then you correct time alignment and crossovers with the dsp. It has been highly reviewed by everyone that has used it. I'll try to get the name later.
The Helix Pro is still in the lead for me. It didn't look like the min-DSPs had much in the way of processing power, and I thought they were more home than car. I am interested in the latter one you mention, using FIRs in that way is most of what I want to do with them, though there's some danger of winding up with a really peaky response due to room modes changing with small position changes. Also, I'd think FIRing as the last stage (and individually for each speaker) would be the best sequence, but it still sounds promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGrillo View Post
I LOVE my pp82dsp and the software, once you get used to it.
It looks like the pp82dsp has a 48ksps DSP. I'd like to get processing that samples at a minimum of 96k to minimize attenuation due to sampling. I've also already got a multi-channel amp. If I had known about it earlier, it probably would have been a good option. Still it's a good sign for Helix/Audiotec-Fischer.

I guess I don't have enough posts yet to thank people, but thank you all!
Old 11-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
Agreed about FIR filters being best as long as there's enough processing to due it. I'll likely be using the dsp pro myself, in both my wife's and my cars. I'll try to get the name of that eq processor.
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I took a quick look over there, but didn't see anything already posted. I loathe signing up for new forums (they just wind up sinking so much time). It probably is the right forum for that, I just have to overcome my own resistance.

The Helix Pro is still in the lead for me. It didn't look like the min-DSPs had much in the way of processing power, and I thought they were more home than car. I am interested in the latter one you mention, using FIRs in that way is most of what I want to do with them, though there's some danger of winding up with a really peaky response due to room modes changing with small position changes. Also, I'd think FIRing as the last stage (and individually for each speaker) would be the best sequence, but it still sounds promising.

It looks like the pp82dsp has a 48ksps DSP. I'd like to get processing that samples at a minimum of 96k to minimize attenuation due to sampling. I've also already got a multi-channel amp. If I had known about it earlier, it probably would have been a good option. Still it's a good sign for Helix/Audiotec-Fischer.

I guess I don't have enough posts yet to thank people, but thank you all!
Here's the car specific mini dsp model.
https://minidsp.com/products/minidsp...dsp-6x8-detail
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 AM   #8
labskaus

Drives: Toyota GT86
Please look for Forge DSP (you can find it on Facebook)

Nice DSP
labskaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #9
tk1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Here's the car specific mini dsp model.
https://minidsp.com/products/minidsp...dsp-6x8-detail
That's at a nice price point, decently featured, and REW should output for it. The biggest negative I see is the sample rate is only 48ksps. I'd like to hit at least 96k, but seriously considering that. Helix Pro has a lot more processing power, but at a higher .

Quote:
Originally Posted by labskaus View Post
Please look for Forge DSP (you can find it on Facebook)

Nice DSP
"Lorem ipsum" delende est. Ich habe nichts gesehen zeugend. Also, I'd recomend bacon ipsum over lorem ipsum if any ipsum is going to be visible.
From what I saw on their FB page they were having trouble meeting temp range compliance, and the near total lack of content on their website (Lorem ipsum everywhere) doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their support. It's cool that they're producing stuff, and being honest about their performance, but I don't see much compelling about their products.
What in particular makes you recommend them?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
labskaus

Drives: Toyota GT86
I know some of the developers in person and know how is doing his work. Also I have access to the software for testing reasons.
labskaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
firemedic1428

Drives: Pinto
I'm about to have a Mosconi 6to8 install in a week with all mosconi amps, subs and their 3 way Zero Pro front stage. I'll post up a thread when it's done.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
firemedic1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firemedic1428 For This Useful Post:
kmbkk (01-16-2016)
Old 12-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
tk1138

Helix put out a revised DSP & Amp combo this month (Helix P Six DSP Mk2), that has 96k sampling rate 6 amplified channels and 2 line outs. I wish it had 4 line outs, but for what I want it should work well enough. I've spent a couple of weeks trying to find somewhere to buy it in the US with no luck, so I ordered it off a German website. If it makes it through shipping & customs I'll post the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic1428 View Post
I'm about to have a Mosconi 6to8 install in a week with all mosconi amps, subs and their 3 way Zero Pro front stage. I'll post up a thread when it's done.

Where are you planning to mount the mids & tweets?
Old 12-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
firemedic1428

Drives: Pinto
Quote:
Helix put out a revised DSP & Amp combo this month (Helix P Six DSP Mk2), that has 96k sampling rate 6 amplified channels and 2 line outs. I wish it had 4 line outs, but for what I want it should work well enough. I've spent a couple of weeks trying to find somewhere to buy it in the US with no luck, so I ordered it off a German website. If it makes it through shipping & customs I'll post the details.

Where are you planning to mount the mids & tweets?
Stock location. I want it all factory looking, hence using the stock radio with the 6to8

firemedic1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:42 AM   #14
tk1138

Minor update: DHL Packet (Weltpacket / packet international) is super, super slow. An order that shipped on 12/28 arrived in the US on 1/9. Still waiting for US tracking information; I'm trying to keep my expectations low on the US customs wait.