follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #29
nickmerronesucks
Ned flanders

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 Hellcat, 22 Ram 2500
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I went with a coverking outdoor cover, fits amazing, I waxed and then installed the cover..I removed the antenna but then realized it had the hole for the antenna. Fitment is VERY tight, its great.
lionbacker54 (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #30
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks View Post
I went with a coverking outdoor cover, fits amazing, I waxed and then installed the cover..I removed the antenna but then realized it had the hole for the antenna. Fitment is VERY tight, its great.
It's expensive but I'll probably be buying one because of all of everyones great reviews, they even already have the cover for 2015-up with the shark fin antennas already.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #31
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have had 3 Kimberly Clark Evolution fitted covers for several cars. This was before we had a garage. I like the Evolution fabric covers as they protect against, hail, door dings and they repel light rain. They can also be taken to the laundromat for washing.

The one problem with them is that if left on during heavy or long soaking rain they will become soaked. Or if snow/freezing rain is left on the cover the cover will eventually absorb the water, freeze and the fabric can become stuck on the car.

Other than that, this fabric is soft and protects well.

BTW, I do not recommend putting the cover on your car if the car is dirty. Medium to strong winds will blow the cover combining the cover with the dirt grit on your car and effectively becoming sandpaper.
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #32
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You should only start the car if you know you will let it idle for as long is it can get up to operating temps and then drive it around so the tires don't dry rot, I've done this for other cars that have lasted 100k with no issues.....
If you want to start a stored car, you need to allow the oil temp to come up to full operating temp so it can boil off the vapors and corrosives that will form in the crankcase.

But it's still a cold start (minimum clearances) with minimum lubrication...probably the most severe conditions possible. And there is absolutely no benefit from periodically starting it.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #33
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I realize OP asked for car cover opinions (I have none) but my question is, isn't the whole point of having a "winter beater" to protect your nicer car (as in, keep it indoors) while you abuse the beater?

If it were me, I would just put up with the 10minutes of warming up and scraping ice. Although, if it is not at freezing when you want to drive the beater, I would spray it with water rather than scraping. You can also get one of those remote starters so the car will be toasty when you first come outside.

But, if for some reason, I decided to keep my nicer car outside, I would buy one of those clam shell tents to keep the car in. That way nothing touches the paint.
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDinkleman For This Useful Post:
lionbacker54 (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #34
lionbacker54

Drives: 2013 WR Blue 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Whatever you get, definitely make sure it's fitted and not just a generic cover with lots of extra fabric.

I got this one, and I've been pretty happy with it. I don't use it a ton, but it's nice when I'm gone on week-long trips and the car is sitting out in a parking lot. It's especially good when the pine trees are dropping sap everywhere.

As others have mentioned, the trick is keeping your car clean AND keeping the cover clean so as to not make things worse due to friction between the surfaces.
lol, amazon says it won't fit my 2013 BRZ, but will fit a 2013 FRS
lionbacker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #35
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
California car cover, tight fit will not lift when windy, and weather proof. Never had one tear or fly off or scratch my car. Got one for my truck and twin comes with cable and lock as well.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote