follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2015, 01:16 AM   #29
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkbydesign View Post
That's the plan now, I wasn't going to sue and just accept that maybe the one guy in the workshop was tricking everyone else, but now that it is apparent it goes all the way to the top, it is beyond frustrating.
Damn, I wish this were in the U.S. then a majority of us would be able to help spam the NHTSA with a safety complaint
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:24 AM   #30
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkbydesign View Post
I've known her since I was 16. We got our driving licenses together and neither of us have ever been in an accident until now.

It is frustrating that they would pin this on the little guy rather than admit they made a mistake. Terrible, terrible people.
Have you been able to repeat or identify the fault in the braking system yet?
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:33 AM   #31
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Keep fighting man, what's australia's equivalent to our NHTSA? I would file a formal complain with them as well as get a lawyer involved if it's that serious

I wonder if he can still file a complaint with NHTSA even if lives outside of the US. The car is global and safety issues effect all of us, no matter where you live.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #32
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I wonder if he can still file a complaint with NHTSA even if lives outside of the US. The car is global and safety issues effect all of us, no matter where you live.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
No. To file a complaint you need a ZIP code and U.S. VIN number. Without them the complaint just gets tossed.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #33
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post

Sorry for the image quality, but I too have had an issue with the brake pedal.

When they told me it was normal, I figured, "Yea, if Subaru engineered the braking system that could be true," because of how the brakes felt in my Impreza.

However, no other car I drive has brakes that does this so I'll be asking them to check again when I go back for my next service. I'll also ask if I can test the brakes of a new FRS to see if they feel the same.
Update on this.

Last week the brake system was checked again. This time they asked to keep it for a day and to drive it around a bit so they could get a full feel for any issues. Again they weren't able to find any abnormality with how the pedal felt.

I was given a loaner Corolla to drive around for the time they were diagnosing my complaint, and immediately upon pressing the brake pedal in the Corolla I felt as though I found what the issue was.

Toyota's brake feel in their modern cars is just unacceptable. My father 2007 Tundra has great brakes, his 1993 Camry has great brakes, and my step-mothers 1997 Camry also has great brake feel. But, my 2013 FRS and the loaner 2015 Corolla brakes feel woeful.

I conclude that there isn't an issue with the brakes themselves, just a personal issue with how the brakes feel.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #34
Freetime

Drives: Raven Manual FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Update on this.

Last week the brake system was checked again. This time they asked to keep it for a day and to drive it around a bit so they could get a full feel for any issues. Again they weren't able to find any abnormality with how the pedal felt.

I was given a loaner Corolla to drive around for the time they were diagnosing my complaint, and immediately upon pressing the brake pedal in the Corolla I felt as though I found what the issue was.

Toyota's brake feel in their modern cars is just unacceptable. My father 2007 Tundra has great brakes, his 1993 Camry has great brakes, and my step-mothers 1997 Camry also has great brake feel. But, my 2013 FRS and the loaner 2015 Corolla brakes feel woeful.

I conclude that there isn't an issue with the brakes themselves, just a personal issue with how the brakes feel.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I own 3 vehicles of different makes/models and regularly drive at least 4 more. The brakes in the FRS are absolutely on par with everything else, and probably better than most. I'm so glad they didn't go with the ultra grabby brakes that most modern, cheaper cars have. They actually have a good feel and give to them.
Freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freetime For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (11-30-2015), humfrz (12-01-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #35
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetime View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. I own 3 vehicles of different makes/models and regularly drive at least 4 more. The brakes in the FRS are absolutely on par with everything else, and probably better than most. I'm so glad they didn't go with the ultra grabby brakes that most modern, cheaper cars have. They actually have a good feel and give to them.
I'm beginning to sway to think it's a driver issue as others are believing, or maybe this is a one off issue with his car, but honestly he should get an independent mechanic to check it out....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #36
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Update on this.

Quote:
I'm beginning to sway to think it's a driver issue as others are believing, or maybe this is a one off issue with his car, but honestly he should get an independent mechanic to check it out....
Ummmm I think you needed to read up one more post there F. He figured it out on his own.
Personal taste is exactly that personal. I personally think the brakes are great.

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-30-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (11-30-2015), KR-S (11-30-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #37
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ummmm I think you needed to read up one more post there F. He figured it out on his own.
Personal taste is exactly that personal. I personally think the brakes are great.
This is exactly it; the brakes don't feel I feel they should.

I had them checked to make sure there wasn't a problem, there was no problem found so issue lay with my personal expectation.

Quote:
I believe Toyota at this point. They had to call Toyota's corporate office and go through a couple of other hoops because the brake system is a safety issue, and to add to that Toyota wants no more bad news about their braking system.

It is a drive issue. My issue at least, I can't speak as to the OPs issue.