follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #127
mikool

Drives: 14' Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
You're profile pic looks like you should be in the next ad.
I will do it better than this guy, I promise to wear socks
mikool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikool For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (11-18-2015), Tcoat (11-19-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #128
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
So gangster man...this is what we all about, tats, looking like were from a gang, some subjective clothing and dope beats....YE YOO! POW POW! Next time i bet they will have some half naked chicks and guns and the guy will be blowing up smoke and throwing hundred dolla BILLZ! SCION YO!

Check out the video here

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/11/sci...-ahead-of.html

I'm not familiar with your definition of gangster. The last few years I thought nothing had changed and visually they still look the same especially when there are lots of them in one place. I figure you're a lot younger than me so you probably know what gangster looks like now.

I guess you are from Ontario, so gangsters look different in Ontario?
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #129
mikool

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
I'm not familiar with your definition of gangster. The last few years I thought nothing had changed and visually they still look the same especially when there are lots of them in one place. I figure you're a lot younger than me so you probably know what gangster looks like now.

I guess you are from Ontario, so gangsters look different in Ontario?
I can tell you one thing, Jane and Finch gangsters don't look like the guy in the ad.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikool For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-19-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #130
mikool

To be perfectly honest, I have never once encountered anyone who thought of Scions this way. There seem to be no stigma of a riced civic associated with them around where I lived. It's all in the way you carry and present yourself while getting in and out of your car. I wear semi-formal business wear while I go on work orders and business owners are always "Wow, that's your car? What is it? Must be expensive" I smile and tell them it's a Scion, and they genuinely ask questions to know more.

When I'm in my baggy "gangster" attire with flat-brimmed snapback with my tattoos showing, I swag the Scion steez like it cost me a couple kiloz and bitches drool over it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikool For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (11-18-2015), SC10N (11-21-2015), Tcoat (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #131
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=mikool;2455814]
When I'm in my baggy "gangster" attire with flat-brimmed snapback with my tattoos showing, I swag the Scion steez like it cost me a couple kiloz and bitches drool over it.[/QUOTE]
You know I read that in a totally inappropriate and stereotypical engrish voice right? Sort of the over the top stuff they do I movies.
mikool (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #132
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
I see kids growing up in the city who don't see the need for a car or a driver's license.
And it's perfectly reasonable, parking is a problem and there's public transport everywhere.

The problem comes when they get older. A friend of mine grew up in a city centre, and so did his girlfriend. Neither had any interest in having a car.
Then they married and suddenly had newborn twins. And they realized that moving out into the suburbs would be a good idea, and then they would need a wagon or SUV.
For the huge piles of diapers, for dropping the kids off at grandparents, etc.

So my friend started taking lessons at the age of 36. And found it very, very difficult.
Took him over a year and a huge amount of money to get his license and be comfortable enough to drive with his wife and children in the car.

This is a very clever and smart dude in all aspects; and had he started driving as a teenager, like I did, I think he'd breeze through it.

So my advice to the city kids is get a license as soon as they can, because when they get older it will be a lot harder to learn to drive.
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-21-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #133
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
I see kids growing up in the city who don't see the need for a car or a driver's license.
And it's perfectly reasonable, parking is a problem and there's public transport everywhere.

The problem comes when they get older. A friend of mine grew up in a city centre, and so did his girlfriend. Neither had any interest in having a car.
Then they married and suddenly had newborn twins. And they realized that moving out into the suburbs would be a good idea, and then they would need a wagon or SUV.
For the huge piles of diapers, for dropping the kids off at grandparents, etc.

So my friend started taking lessons at the age of 36. And found it very, very difficult.
Took him over a year and a huge amount of money to get his license and be comfortable enough to drive with his wife and children in the car.

This is a very clever and smart dude in all aspects; and had he started driving as a teenager, like I did, I think he'd breeze through it.

So my advice to the city kids is get a license as soon as they can, because when they get older it will be a lot harder to learn to drive.
I tried this rational on my son and he still has no interest in driving. Now mind you his wife does drive and they do have a car so I guess he still does not have on overwhelming need to drive himself.

You started as a teenager? To us farm boys that make you a late bloomer as well.
Ultramaroon (11-21-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #134
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You started as a teenager? To us farm boys that make you a late bloomer as well.
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-19-2015), Ultramaroon (11-21-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #135
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The future generation will have lower interest in driving for many reasons. Look at Japan...sales of cars are falling drastically cause young people don't want them or have a need for them unless they are obsessed with cars.

Cities are finally getting smarter, they are finally creating proper transportation and as more and more people are keen to live in large cities and in condo's, the need for a car just goes down in the priority list when life is already as expensive as it is.

Sure for us car guys, our life sucks without a car, but many people are gamers, fashionista's, food junkies, photographers, etc....so they want to put there money in other places. Car ownership in large cities in Canada is very expensive due to insurance especially! I bet it's the same in USA.

My wife doesn't have a drivers license and every time i tell her to get one she doesn't want too because of the way people drive haha

But yeah I have many friends who don't have cars in Toronto who do fine cause everything is usually walking distance. It's only my friends in the suburbs who are buying cars.

Last edited by Mr.Impreza; 11-19-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #136
mikool

[quote=Tcoat;2455974]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikool View Post
When I'm in my baggy "gangster" attire with flat-brimmed snapback with my tattoos showing, I swag the Scion steez like it cost me a couple kiloz and bitches drool over it.[/QUOTE]
You know I read that in a totally inappropriate and stereotypical engrish voice right? Sort of the over the top stuff they do I movies.
That's about the voice I was aiming for. ☺
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikool For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (11-19-2015), Ultramaroon (11-21-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #137
Tcoat

[quote=mikool;2456053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

That's about the voice I was aiming for. ☺
Justin.b (11-21-2015), mikool (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #138
mikool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
The future generation will have lower interest in driving for many reasons. Look at Japan...sales of cars are falling drastically cause young people don't want them or have a need for them unless they are obsessed with cars.

Cities are finally getting smarter, they are finally creating proper transportation and as more and more people are keen to live in large cities and in condo's, the need for a car just goes down in the priority list when life is already as expensive as it is.

Sure for us car guys, our life sucks without a car, but many people are gamers, fashionista's, food junkies, photographers, etc....so they want to put there money in other places. Car ownership in large cities in Canada is very expensive due to insurance especially! I bet it's the same in USA.

My wife doesn't have a drivers license and every time i tell her to get one she doesn't want too because of the way people drive haha

But yeah I have many friends who don't have cars in Toronto who do fine cause everything is usually walking distance. It's only my friends in the suburbs who are buying cars.
I grew up in the heart of Toronto and my family has always had a car because my dad is the oldest in his family and he needed to have a car to drive everyone around. Spent my teenage years up north by lake Simcoe and up there you NEED to have a car otherwise you will get around nowhere. Public transit was shit and expensive. After high school moved back downtown for school and I didn't take my car with me. After graduating got me a job and my FRS. Guess it worked out for me lol

Last edited by mikool; 11-19-2015 at 10:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikool For This Useful Post:
NyC Zn6 (11-19-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #139
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
The best selling model in the original lineup was the xb. The first one was small, light and different.

I think they should keep the FRS. It's low-volume but was always meant to be.

They should bring back something like the Gen 1 xB. Boxy, basic, roomy and weird.

Bring in a premium hatchback. A small car that is well equipped for people who need to drive in cities but would like an equipment level higher than a Yaris. In the second model year, bring in a performance version of the same hatchback.

-Justin

1) A new retro xB would sell terrible these days. Kia Soul is just as cheap and feels substantial. I'd argue they should have given the 2nd gen xB the RAV4 drivetrain and it would have sold very well. (AR 2.5L, 6AT, AWD)

2) agree

3) The C-HR is going to fill that except for boxy. Boxy isn't a requirement, IMO, unless you want old folks that value cargo space over everything else.

4) other than a performance version not being planned, you just described the iM. It is very, very well equipped. Both it and the iA are very well equipped for the money.

Sent from Tandy 400
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:05 AM   #140
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
1) A new retro xB would sell terrible these days. Kia Soul is just as cheap and feels substantial. I'd argue they should have given the 2nd gen xB the RAV4 drivetrain and it would have sold very well. (AR 2.5L, 6AT, AWD)

2) agree

3) The C-HR is going to fill that except for boxy. Boxy isn't a requirement, IMO, unless you want old folks that value cargo space over everything else.

4) other than a performance version not being planned, you just described the iM. It is very, very well equipped. Both it and the iA are very well equipped for the money.

Sent from Tandy 400
The c-hr is a concept car from this week. Scion has orphaned quite a few very cool concept cars in its short history.

Kia soul exists, but is also a fatass that doesn't capture the essence of the first xB... much like the second xb.

iM falls miles short of what I'd consider a premium hatch. I'm not saying it needs to be cheap. It needs to be well equipped or at the very least have an option for leather. If the iM is a good starting point at less than $20k let's see what they could stuff into it if they sold it for $26k or so.

-Justin
Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote