follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #15
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyQ86 View Post
If they were bought from 86speed factory why wouldn't they just replace them for you under warranty and then they can deal with the distributor.
Sigh. That's what I expected when I first contacted FT86 SpeedFactory when I discovered moisture the first time. SpeedFactory told me that they had to contact Emotion USA (distributor) to work out a resolution.

My feeling was, yeah, but I purchased the lights from you guys? I accepted what SF said, and then it was nothing but emails going back and forward between SF and Emotion, then SF to me.

The final word from Emotion USA to me through SpeedFactory, was that I could return the tail light at my expense (both ways). I decided to send it back. Then I had to contact SF who in turn contacted Emotion because I had absolutely no contact info for Emotion.

Yesterday is when I received an email from SF that started with the word "Unfortunately...".
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #16
Agent 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
2 Months you've been waiting? Anybody that's ordered from me knows if there's an issue with a Valenti, I'll ship you a replacement after sending me photos that there's an issue the day after I get your photos (pending we have replacements in stock of course). Hope the issue gets resolved, asking $150 for a replacement lens knowing that they're under warranty isn't the right way of doing it.
1.) Well, sort of ... My first email to FT86 Speedfactory was back in August. Then there were emails from me to SF, then from SF to Emotion, then SF to me.

2.) Emails: Send photos. Ok. Send more photos. Ok. Try this. Ok. Try that. Ok. Then, last word from Emotion through SF to me, "well you can return at your own expense both ways. We (Emotion) will test, for leak but we don't believe there's a problem with our product." I was angry, but not surprised. Emotion USA's responses were pointing the finger at me from the very beginning which was a bit insulting.

3.) Received an RMA from SF to send tail light to Emotion.

4.) Wife and I went on vacation for our anniversary. Week in Montreal/Qubec

5.) When we return I look at the tail light and there is more moisture than at any other time. My car was in the garage while we were gone. I washed it a day or two before we left.

I appreciate you responding to my thread. Yeah, I feel SF could/should have done more.

I have had good service from SF with my past purchases (RCE Yellow, Intec 3rd brake light, JPM Coachworks parts etc.) and have been satisfied. Granted, this is the first problem I have had.

Funny, I contacted your shop (ModBargains) yesterday via chat asking how your shop would have handled a similar situation. Your response regarding how this would have been handled if I had bought the lights from you, was as you stated above, and reflects some posts i have read here since this experience.

Valenti red tail lights are my preference. Tom's is my second choice.

I need a day or two to decide how I will proceed.

In the meantime, I'm waiting to hear back from SF as to whether Emotion USA will "sell" me a replacement gasket. Then I have to send them $12.99 and they will ship my light back to me.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
Agent 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
You can always leave the silica packet in there to absorb moisture and change it out every once in awhile. People do this for retrofits. It's a shitty solution honestly I fee like they should cover your warranty but if needed it should work. Hope they take care of it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

Before I even contacted FT86 SpeedFactory, I removed the tail light and enclosed it in a container with a couple large (hand sized) silica packs that I got from work (Apple includes them in their Thunderbolt monitors). Initially, I thought the moisture was a fluke, so I tried to handle it myself.

Each time, I made sure that the tail light was completely dry before reinstalling it. But, the moisture would return.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #18
Agent 86

This is a one of the photos that I sent to FT86 SpeedFactory, which they then forwarded to Emotion USA.

Emotion USA is saying that the gasket is the failure. That I installed the tail light gasket to close to the edge.

If you look closely at the photo, you notice that the gasket is "keyed' to the tail light with the 4 screws that are used to mount the light to the car, but also keyed by the small hole in the center of the gasket. The light unit has a permanent spike that sticks out from the light and fits through that hole in the gasket.

There is not wiggle room, and the gasket was not crimped. Furthermore, the right tail light is exactly the same!

You can also see the indentation all the way around the gasket where it sat flush with the light unit.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #19
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 View Post
purchase them from a local performance store where i have gotten parts from before

i think i may have over done it on the system
LED in every light, 4th break light installed,
and these tails on top, may have burned something out
Sounds like it might be a BIU issue... see this thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66721
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #20
Agent 86

the other side
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #21
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
Sounds like it might be a BIU issue... see this thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66721
all is good,
took it to dealer

fried my Brake switch
here is my thread if ya want to read about it

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96606
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #22
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I had this as well but it's gotten worse. I have 1 inch of water in my passenger side tail light.

Going to try and make new foam gaskets from the DIY on here. gasketninja is out of town until Nov 8 so I have to source my own and make the kit instead of buying his.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #23
Agent 86

Conclusion...

So, I received an email from FT86 SpeedFactory today after my call and email requesting to speak to the owner or manager.

Basically, FT86 SpeedFactory says that the findings of Valenti is the final word on the issue of the moisture in my tail light.

Valenti has communicated to me through SpeedFactory, that they will return my tail light with a new gasket and will pay for the return shipping.

Unfortunately, that won't resolve the leaking problem, and because of the moisture buildup and running, the inside of the lens is ruined.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #24
Agent 86

I'm glad to be done with this. Monday marks 2 weeks since Valenti received my returned tail light. If I had not contacted SpeedFactory asking them to contact Valenti I would still be waiting since I had no way to contact Valenti.

I will move on, but the lesson I learned is to find out if the reseller backs the customer in the event of product failure during the warranty period. I don't believe that this is good customer service for a product after only 2 months of ownership.

If I knew up front that FT86 SpeedFactory requires the buyer to deal with the manufacturer/distributor for warranty claims, this would have been easier to tolerate. To add insult to injury, I learned that not all resellers compel the buyer to manage their own warranty claims. ModBargains is one example.

Finally, I don't understand why FT86 SpeedFactory would communicate with Valenti, get the Return Merchandise Authorization, then direct me to send my return to Valenti at my expense without providing a phone number, email address or even a contact name for Valenti despite my request for that contact info??? As though, Valenti is some Wizard of Oz character hiding behind a curtain and not to be disturbed by mere mortals. What's that all about?
Old 10-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #25
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
This whole debacle has taught me to stay away from Valenti's in general... I've had Tom's before with moisture issues as well. They sent me a new set, gave me a return UPS return label, and told me to just ship back my set in the box the new set came in. Tom's and buddy clubs are both manufactured/warrantied by Depo. Sounds like Valentis have a different manufacturer with bad customer service...
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdo221 For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (11-03-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #26
Agent 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
This whole debacle has taught me to stay away from Valenti's in general... I've had Tom's before with moisture issues as well. They sent me a new set, gave me a return UPS return label, and told me to just ship back my set in the box the new set came in. Tom's and buddy clubs are both manufactured/warrantied by Depo. Sounds like Valentis have a different manufacturer with bad customer service...
Yeah, it seems hit or miss. Some have had positive experiences with their Valentis not leaking etc. I understand manufacturers defects! Pobody's Nerfect. However, they must stand behind their product.

In my case, their determination is that the installation was faulty. Take a look at the photos and tell me how I could have installed the gaskets differently.

FT86 SpeedFactory offered no opinion despite my photos. FT86 SpeedFactory did not add their voice to the customer's.

For me, it's the after purchase experience that has colored my opinion of both Valenti and FT86 SpeedFactory's customer service.

Once I get the light back, I will decide what I'll do.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #27
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I just took out my tail light, I noticed the Valenti gasket is thin, REALLY thin. I compared it to the OEM gasket and what do I see? The OEM gasket is twice as big in thickness compared to valenti.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #28
LED86

Drives: Black 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
One thing to note, the red lens etc isnt an official Valenti product. Ie if its not on their site then they dont actually sell it. The manufacturer is pumping them out and putting the valenti brand on them knowing they will sell but in reality Valenti in japan has nothing to do with them. So any blame on valenti for this is being misdirected.
LED86 is offline   Reply With Quote