follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #29
SON1C

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
I went with the most reliable way but it still ended up costing me closer to $8500 for upgrades on kit, Clutch and a fullblown 3" exhaust. If I would of had labor, I know it would of been over 10k.

Don't take shortcuts. You'll end up costing yourself an engine. If your budget doesn't seem to fit it at the moment then keep saving. It's worth it, I promise!

If you go supercharged you'll make less hp using a base kit without supporting mods. but, you won't need clutch right away and you'll spend way less. I personally have always had Garrett turbos on my bikes and cars so you won't get any super charger support from me.

Some turbos are oil and water cooled and some aren't. Some turbos have ball bearings and some don't.

Study your ass off.
How happy have you been with your setup (see it in your signature)
Yeah on these cars turbo is definitely the route I need to go for my goals.
What setups are typically more reliable than the other?
How do you like their exhaust and what clutch did you choose and is it still great for daily driving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
The AEM failsafe works well for overboost protection (boost creep, watergate issue, etc). It can signal an electronic boost controller (also I think you can wire it up somehow with the stock ECU, ecutek, and a solenoid) to cut boost if it exceeds a certain threshold, or if the wideband O2 sensor detects a lean condition. Can really save your hide if set up right.

Search around for oil coolers people are using with the turbo kit you like, that way you know there won't be any fitment issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a really good point ^
Fitment issues could certainly make me lose my mind lol
SON1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #30
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
Can you tell me more about your experience with it? Did you install yourself, what did you add in conjunction to the kit, what ended up being your total price otd, would you do it again or go with a different setup? Also lets see some pictures!
First some resources....
@spdbydesign (Chris Riggs) the owner has the best customer service I've ever experieced!

SBD Turbo Kit thread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58514

SBD Turbo Kit Facebook group (best resource):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SBDF...itOwnersGroup/

Here's my install:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5IcELMz4gc"]SBD Turbo Kit install (timelapse). 2014 Scion FR-S - YouTube[/ame]

Dyno tuned 8/9/15. Best run. 292whp / 233 lb-ft at ~10psi on the v1 kit.

Mods:
SBD Turbo Kit v1 10psi
Motiv Overpipe
Injen Catback Exhaust
Perrin lightweight crank pulley
Grimspeed MBC

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPQkL1_Wt3I"]2014 Scion FR-S SBD Turbo - Dyno Tune - YouTube[/ame]

I actually have an appointment for another dyno tune this Wednesday, and I'm shooting for around 320whp on ~10psi 93oct. With

Mods that Ive added for this new tune are :
Motiv Catted front pipe
Cold Air Intake by shiv
3 inch MAF Pipe

With this cold weather coming in this setup feels like an absolute beast! I would highly recommend the kit for the value and the customer service that Chris offers through himself and the Facebook group.

Price Breakdown on Turbo Components:
  • SBD v1 Turbo Kit /w Oil Pan - $3150
  • Kate Cool Oil Cooler - $600
  • Extras (heat wrap, BOV tubing, sealant, clamps, etc) - $150
  • Drift Armor Crash Bar - $150
  • Motiv Overpipe - $270
  • Motiv Catted Front Pipe - $300
  • SBD 3 inch MAF Pipe - $125
  • CAI for SBD by shiv - $175
  • Grimmspeed MBC - $90
  • Tanabe Revel VLS Gauges - $400
  • Block8head Custom Vent Gauge Pod - $120
  • Ecutek License - $300
  • 1st Dyno Tune - $500
  • 2nd Dyno Tune - $250
TOTAL: $6580

So what people usually say rings true for my build..... take whatever the "base" price is of the kit and double it. This is with the V1 kit mind you, if you got the current V2 there are alot of cost savings especially if you go with the OFT solution.

@SON1C hopefully this gives you some good insight.

Last edited by Cockatoo; 10-21-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #31
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Awesome to hear of almost 40k miles and zero issues at basically 5 grand certainly in the ball park of other "premium" kits --- what did you add in addition to the kit?

All I added was a 3" single exit TBE custom built by Treadstone. I also had HRI Tuning (James Martin) retune after the exhaust install. I was at 285whp prior to the retune/exhaust. I haven't dynoed it since the retune but the car is a fair amount faster now.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #32
Readytoxplod
Tire Destroyer

Drives: Firestorm+snail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Excellent input, thank you.

I was leaning towards s/c route due to it being cheaper but the torque is just so much better on the turbos for these car it makes it a no brainer for my goals.

I'm going to install as much as I can, however several things are probably out of my capabilities so I'd either need a good bit of help or to take it to a shop. Really trying to build the car with my hands though regardless of the headaches lol

Any general consensus on full exhaust for these? I want a great sound but I daily drive so minimal drone is obviously my goal. 3" seems necessary size
3inch exhaust isn't needed at all unless your goal is around 400whp, then the stock exhaust starts to restrict horsepower. Stock exhaust is fine for 300whp, so choose a cat-back exhaust that sounds good. Full exhaust is only around 8-12hp gain, not really worth the 2 grand it costs. Header nets the most hp, then catback, then fp+op are probably 2-3 hp combined. Turbo kits come with a manifold anyway (header), which is the restrictive part. 3" full exhaust vs a 2.5 " only nets around 3hp, and usually adds a good bit of drone, although turbo spool is faster by around 500-700rpm. Just things to consider.
I would get a 2.5 inch catback, and if you want to turbo, get a loud one like the Greddy evo3, ft86sf v1 non-resonated, Invidia n1 etc. because the turbo quiets stuff down a good bit.

Also you mention reliable and 300whp, I hate to say it but you can't have those 2 in a sentence. Doubling whp to 300 puts a lot of stress on engine and drivetrain components, shit breaks so you better be ready. Keeping low boost like 6-7psi would be on the safer side, but understand you are pushing a lot more pressure on the engine and the chances of things breaking are a lot higher, maybe even likely over long term. I think Edlebrock and Cosworth offer warranties, so choose one that has a powertrain/engine warranty. These usually are low 7psi tunes though...

For a clutch, get an Exedy stage 1 clutch, or ACT sb7-hdss are good, easy to drive clutches. The ACT one is rated at 275lb/ft, so if you are wanting more to the wheels choose a different one.
Readytoxplod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #33
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Definitely join the SBD turbo kit Facebook page if you want to get more info on options. Or email us (sales@openflashperformance.com) and we can put together a 300whp package that will be ridiculous cost effective (custom tuning included).
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, frs, son1c, turbo, turbo kit