follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Traction loss with 245/40/17 MPSS

Hey guys,

I just traded for some RPF1's in 17x9 +35 offset wrapped in 245/40/17 Michelin Pilot super sports. I Previously had stock wheels and tires. When I had the stock wheel/tire setup the car handled well and had lots of grip on corners (crazy I know).

I took the car to many twisty roads with the stock setup never losing traction or going sideways. I take the same route to work and back every day and there's this one corner I would take with speed to get that "on rails" feeling. After I swapped to the RPF1 with the Michelin PSS I drove around for a bit not really thinking much about the traction. Yesterday I was driving around town and there's this roundabout, got into the corner in 2nd gear and gave it some gas to see how the tires performed. As I was exiting the corner the car got sideways, good thing I had the TC and stability control on! I was surprised and blamed it on the cold temps (dash read 4 degrees celsius).

Today on the way home on my regular route i take the same corner as always just barely giving it any gas and I feel as if the rear end is "floating". It just doesn't feel like it's gripping anymore. My dash read 17 degrees celsius today too btw so this is where I started to question what's wrong with my setup.

Now I've thought about what could be causing this and I've narrowed it down to 3 possible things.

1. My alignment needs to be checked and possibly fixed now that I have much wider tires.

2. It is just the cold temps and I shouldn't be thinking too much of it.

3. The tires are far too worn out.

The car is a 2015 Subaru BRZ with stock suspension. Nothing else on the car has been changed that would affect the handling other the the rims/tires. I am running around 32-34 psi on the tires according to the gauge at the gas station so i don't think it's my tire pressures.

Has anyone else had this type of thing happen to them when switching to a wider wheel setup?

Pics of setup for reference.

icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Have you checked the tire pressures?
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
icybrzzz

Yes I have they're all within the recommended specs.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
ravisraval

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Were you on all seasons before? Summer tires become ice skates in cold temperatures.
Are the MPSS new or used? Tread depth?
For reference, I am running essentially the identical setup (slightly different offset) and gained a TON of grip.
ravisraval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
icybrzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisraval View Post
Were you on all seasons before? Summer tires become ice skates in cold temperatures.
Are the MPSS new or used? Tread depth?
For reference, I am running essentially the identical setup (slightly different offset) and gained a TON of grip.
The tires were used and I edited the first post with a pic of them before I mounted them. I was on the stock michelin primacy hp tires that they come with from the factory.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
From the tire pics they look OK wear wise.

4C is definitely too cold for those tires but 17C should be fine. One other possibility is that they have been heat cycled too many times and lost their grip. If that were the case they would probably show more wear though.

Just a note that the alignment doesn't change when you swap tires/wheels.

EDIT: Just to confirm, what exactly were the tire pressures. Remember, the max on the sidewall is NOT in the recommended range. It's what it can handle without exploding. You should be running around 34 or 35 psi.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
245s also take longer to get up to temperature.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
icybrzzz

hmmm okay, so it's probably just the cold temps?

Found it weird that it slid out on me... I guess I'm not used to it since this is my first set of summer tires. When I drove it in the rain when I first put em on I had plenty of traction so maybe you are right about the cold temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
From the tire pics they look OK wear wise.

4C is definitely too cold for those tires but 17C should be fine. One other possibility is that they have been heat cycled too many times and lost their grip. If that were the case they would probably show more wear though.

Just a note that the alignment doesn't change when you swap tires/wheels.

EDIT: Just to confirm, what exactly were the tire pressures. Remember, the max on the sidewall is NOT in the recommended range. It's what it can handle without exploding. You should be running around 34 or 35 psi.

When I last checked it was sitting around 32-35psi. Couldn't get an accurate reading since it was a gas station gauge.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
hamlet

Drives: blue brz, silver R8 5.2, orange s2K
Outside temp is not the same as tire temp. Summer tires need to be warm before they grip and are very slippery until warm. For reference, you have to run 1-2 laps at 7/10 on a track before really getting on it or you WILL spin. Yes, personal experience talking.
hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #10
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
google tells me 17c is like 63 freedom degrees, which can still be pretty chilly for summer tires.

If they are used tires, heat cycles can have an effect as people have mentioned.

Did you check also what year the tires were manufactured?
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSidewall.do
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to totopo For This Useful Post:
CrispyCheddar (10-20-2015), GotBRZ1691 (10-20-2015), kchar (10-21-2015), Super Dave (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #11
icybrzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Outside temp is not the same as tire temp. Summer tires need to be warm before they grip and are very slippery until warm. For reference, you have to run 1-2 laps at 7/10 on a track before really getting on it or you WILL spin. Yes, personal experience talking.
Good point, I shouldn't be too worried then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post
google tells me 17c is like 63 freedom degrees, which can still be pretty chilly for summer tires.

If they are used tires, heat cycles can have an effect as people have mentioned.

Will check in the morning. Thanks everyone for the quick replies!
Old 10-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
projectXTR

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to projectXTR For This Useful Post:
Campo (10-22-2015), MGPAX (10-24-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #13
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Yea summer tires that wide probably are nor going to be able to get warm enough to handle really well even in 60 degree weather. There are people who race on the 245's and say sometimes they cannot warm tires that size up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectXTR View Post
Sorry, couldn't resist
because the rest of the world always uses the arbitrary metric system, oh wait, no they don't. Brits use a gallon that is a different size than our gallon. Oh wait, they use stone for weight. I could go on. The US system was based on actual use and what was done for centuries, the metric system was randomly created and made up.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
I have the answer for you as I currently do have MPSS on my car currently and I also have had experience with wider wheels/tires with lower offsets on others cars (s2000/rsx-s).

First of all the MPSS are ultra high performance tires, so they do need to get some heat into them. I had an incident similar to yours where I took a corner pretty hard when the tires were cold and the rear lost traction instantly in 50-60 degree weather (traction control helped me in this situation or I would have spun). This was on stock 215 sized MPSS tires. However, when temps are higher and you have gotten the MPSS tires warmed up, they grip very very well. In your case, you have 245 width tires, which will take longer to heat up plus you were in cold weather, which contributed to your lack of grip. The stock tires that come in our cars do not need much heat in them to grip.

As for the wheels, you are using wider and lower offset wheels compared to stock. The lower offset will effectively make your car feel softer and more floaty especially on stock suspension. Only way to fix this is to either get a wheel with an offset that is closer to stock (+48 offset), or get stiffer springs/sway bars. The reason for a softer feel is that a lower offset means you're effectively increasing the lever arm, which alters how your suspension responds to the road. That also changes ideal spring/dampening rates.

So there you have it, the statements above is why your car is handling this way.In my honest opinion, the car handles great from the factory and the 215 tires give it enough grip. When you alter wheel width and offset without modifying other aspects of the suspension, you may actually be making it worse.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shattered_memory For This Useful Post:
Campo (10-22-2015), icybrzzz (10-20-2015), TofuJoe (10-21-2015)