follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
Wpomp

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dealer could not reset sensor, but was happy to take an hours rate of money though... Anywho, the seat is a subaru part (learned at the dealer) so last bet is to ask a subaru tech if they have the ability to reset the sensor on their cars. If not, welp, trick from the racing seat thread it is!
Wpomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #16
Wpomp

Subaru dealer couldn't figure it out either. gonna try the race seat trick and see if that chooches. Just posting so anyone else trying to solve the issue doesn't waste money at the dealers. First thing I may try is pulling back the sheathing on the sensor plugs on both FRS and BRZ passenger seats. Perhaps the sensor leads are reversed by each make causing the sensor to read improperly if switched? Will let y'all know if I find anything..
Old 10-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #17
CB390248

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the update. Yeah, I specificaly bought BRZ seats rather than an aftermarket seat because I thought there would be less problems! Sheesh.
CB390248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #18
Wpomp

Right there with ya. My last thought before removing the sensor and rolling it up per the racing seats thread, is that maybe the frs and brz seat sensors have the wires reversed on the seat sensor? Don't have the frs seats with me at the moment to check, but maybe that could be the issue.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:55 PM   #19
fluffy-reindeer-slayer

Drives: fr-s and tc2
you have to recalibrate the sensor to the ecu, and the only way to to that is with a toyota techstream.
fluffy-reindeer-slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #20
Wpomp

That's what I thought as well, but unfortunately toyota can't do that with these cars. With any other toyota they can, but the FRS uses a subaru seat, with a subaru sensor which is different than the sensors traditionally used by toyota. Took the car to the subaru dealer, and they weren't able to do it either.

However, as an update to the problem: I took the seat sensor out of the stock seat, and folded it up and plugged it in per the racing seat thread, and it did not solve the issue (solved in this case meaning that the passenger airbag would always be on). I checked the wiring of both seats, and there were no reversed wires, so that wasn't the issue.

Final option was swapping over the module which reads the sensor (black box under the seat, gets two connectors plugged into it). I did this, and it seems to have worked! At first. it was reading all good, though now the passenger side is always on, requiring the belt to be buckled in. I think this condition may be due to me not removing the BRZ sensor module though (I have the FRS one just dangling next to it at the moment). Given that the sensor is electromagnetic, I think it may be picking up that extra module, and thinking someone is in the seat. When I get home from work today I will remove the seat (again, sigh) and take out the BRZ module, and mount the FRS one. Hopefully this will solve the issue for good. But if not, having the passenger belt in all the time, or getting an insert, is not such a pain for having working bags.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #21
johnbradshow

Drives: Audi
I think you need to reset tool to reset the ECU.
johnbradshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #22
willnigguhwassuh
IG: will__is__nguyen

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
this is causing me a headache also. I have a frs with brz seats and the airbaglight wont come off smh
willnigguhwassuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #23
BDotG

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is when nice leather seat covers come in handy :p, unless you really want butt warmers.
BDotG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #24
willnigguhwassuh
IG: will__is__nguyen

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
so what I did was trade my friend for his premium brz seats he had laying around for my limited brz seats that were installed in my frs. I swapped seats with him and the airbag light disappeared. My guess is its because the limited seats had the heated seats module.
willnigguhwassuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #25
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpomp View Post
That's what I thought as well, but unfortunately toyota can't do that with these cars. With any other toyota they can, but the FRS uses a subaru seat, with a subaru sensor which is different than the sensors traditionally used by toyota. Took the car to the subaru dealer, and they weren't able to do it either.

However, as an update to the problem: I took the seat sensor out of the stock seat, and folded it up and plugged it in per the racing seat thread, and it did not solve the issue (solved in this case meaning that the passenger airbag would always be on). I checked the wiring of both seats, and there were no reversed wires, so that wasn't the issue.

Final option was swapping over the module which reads the sensor (black box under the seat, gets two connectors plugged into it). I did this, and it seems to have worked! At first. it was reading all good, though now the passenger side is always on, requiring the belt to be buckled in. I think this condition may be due to me not removing the BRZ sensor module though (I have the FRS one just dangling next to it at the moment). Given that the sensor is electromagnetic, I think it may be picking up that extra module, and thinking someone is in the seat. When I get home from work today I will remove the seat (again, sigh) and take out the BRZ module, and mount the FRS one. Hopefully this will solve the issue for good. But if not, having the passenger belt in all the time, or getting an insert, is not such a pain for having working bags.
Were you ever able to resolve this? I have the same issue in my car. Would love to just reset this and go but every time I do the car just throws the code again anyways.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #26
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Bump. Having this same issue ..has anyone figured out how to fix this? Using the 3.5 OHM resistor is that just bypassing the airbag light? the airbag wont deploy when needed?
Old 04-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #27
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionGundam View Post
Bump. Having this same issue ..has anyone figured out how to fix this? Using the 3.5 OHM resistor is that just bypassing the airbag light? the airbag wont deploy when needed?
My understanding is the rest should deploy but not the one that isn't plugged in.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:12 AM   #28
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
My understanding is the rest should deploy but not the one that isn't plugged in.
So what you're saying is if i use the RESISTOR to turn off the airbag light, those airbags will not deploy?