follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #15
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notout86 View Post
Sorry. I still do not understand and neither does my wife. Please spell it out as if to a 7-year-old.

Some people will put "/s" at the end of a statement to indicate they are turning off their sarcasm. It comes from HTML tags, where you write [B]blah blah blah[/ B] (without the space) and you get blah blah blah.

Basically I'm saying he was being sarcastic but forgot to indicate it.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (08-23-2015), Ultramaroon (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #16
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,982 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You probably better ceramic coating header
as @Kodename47 said little to be gained except in traffic.

its probably easier to adjust the fan temps so fans run when your in traffic see @Wayno s tune thread.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #17
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
No
Old 08-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #18
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,813 Times in 19,087 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sorry. I still do not understand and neither does my wife. Please spell it out as if to a 7-year-old.
Ok, now I'm officially backing down. I appreciate a good joke but not if it goes too far.
@Captain Snooze said it in his reply to you. To add to his argument, the plastic intake components are already pretty good thermal insulators so, especially above idle, the IAT reduces to ambient pretty quickly.

BTW, your observation regarding the aluminum foil on your wood stove has merit. Aluminum is highly reflective and therefore makes for a pretty good shield for radiant energy, which is partly what makes it so difficult to weld. It is, however, highly thermally conductive, which is what makes is such a good material for convective heat transfer ...and is also what makes it difficult to weld.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 08-23-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Duh
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (08-23-2015), strat61caster (08-26-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #19
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OK. Thanks for the input and oxen sling everyone. I think we can summarise now.
BTW = by the way, IAT = intake air temperature. WOT = wide open throttle

Since an example of actual measurement shows IAT exceeds ambient for 10 minutes following idle/standstill until normal road speed has resumed, any measure to reduce IAT WILL help. Depending on driving following that heat soak period, a power increase will be useless while idling but have benefit as you drive off (but could help you hit the front at the start of a race).
In our example, fuel usage at idle and for 10 minutes will be reduced as the ecu adjusts the air:fuel ratio for cooler/denser air. If you spend time in bumper to bumper traffic this could be quite significant.

These benefits will be low but cumulative and become significant over time.

Two measures have been suggested i.e. adjust fan speed and/or intake heat shielding. The latter has no downside other than a slight weight penalty and rise of the COG = centre of gravity.
DriftinFRS (09-01-2015), Ultramaroon (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #20
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
You probably better ceramic coating header
as @Kodename47 said little to be gained except in traffic.

its probably easier to adjust the fan temps so fans run when your in traffic see @Wayno s tune thread.
THIS. The many benefits of lowering the temp of the entire engine bay and keeping it vented far outweigh the ridiculously poor value of trying to change materials or insulate the intake.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #21
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Quote:
Since an example of actual measurement shows IAT exceeds ambient for 10 minutes following idle/standstill until normal road speed has resumed, any measure to reduce IAT WILL help. Depending on driving following that heat soak period, a power increase will be useless while idling but have benefit as you drive off (but could help you hit the front at the start of a race).
In our example, fuel usage at idle and for 10 minutes will be reduced as the ecu adjusts the air:fuel ratio for cooler/denser air. If you spend time in bumper to bumper traffic this could be quite significant.

Two measures have been suggested i.e. adjust fan speed and/or intake heat shielding. The latter has no downside other than a slight weight penalty and rise of the COG = centre of gravity.
If you're going to go for it, I suggest cutting up a mylar survival blanket. Don't forget the intake manifold and plenum.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #22
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,455 Times in 4,157 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
any measure to reduce IAT WILL help.
How would you prove that? Say you reduce the intake temperature by 3 degrees Celsius. Any variation on a dyno would fall within experimental error.

Quote:
(but could help you hit the front at the start of a race).
If you are racing then you should consider doing more significant things.

Quote:
I look forward to seeing the documented results.

Quote:
The latter has no downside other than a slight weight penalty and rise of the COG = centre of gravity.
This is like my sig.
A BRZ with a LSx swap is completely stock except for the engine, gearbox, electricals.....
Whilst grammatically correct I can't but help think there is a logic failure somewhere in there.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-26-2015), Ultramaroon (08-24-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #23
notout86

I have no way to measure the effectiveness of the fan speed method versus the shielding so I don't know how ridiculous my thinking is. I would like to see readings. Meanwhile, surely, every little bit helps.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:26 PM   #24
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
The air filter box and the air tube from it are black and I think they must absorb radiant heat from the engine, thus raising the temp of the air within and reducing its density.

Is it worth shielding with thick shiny Al foil on the engine side?

Has anyone a way to check the temp. before and after shielding, or better still has anyone with a dyno to test the theory / measure the power increase?
Engine bay radiant heat transfer is a function of the material's composition, not its color. So any color plastic is perfectly fine for the intake.

radiation from the sun on the other hand is indeed absorbed by darker colors and converted to heat.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #25
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Old 08-24-2015, 02:52 AM   #26
notout86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Engine bay radiant heat transfer is a function of the material's composition, not its color. So any color plastic is perfectly fine for the intake.

radiation from the sun on the other hand is indeed absorbed by darker colors and converted to heat.
Thanks Sleepless. So engine radiant heat is IR = infra red and absorption by the intake tube and filter box depends on their nature other than color.
You have taught me something. Others have alluded to it too but did not explain.

Hopefully then the makers have chosen materials that absorb low amounts.

I read that shiny Al is a great reflector of IR, so its addition will help regardless.

p.s.Probably kidding myself ... I was surprised that I thought I could FEEL a bit of pep after shielding just the tube, but I am far from sure as I had filled an empty tank 100Km prior with a different fuel said to clean the system and maybe it had taken effect. Too many variables to know.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #27
avishenoy1

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release Series 1.0
There's really no need to heat shield the stock intake system or any other silicone inlet tube. Silicone has a very low thermal conductivity coefficient, meaning, even if the outside of the tube gets hot, there will be very little heat transferred to the intake air on the inside. Therefore, wrapping a silicone tube will make a marginal difference on intake temps, if any at all.

However, If you have an aftermarket intake with an aluminum pipe, that thing will get hot quickly. Since aluminum has a thermal conductivity coefficient 3 orders of magnitude greater than silicone, once that pipe gets hot, it is transferring that heat to your intake air VERY well. In this case, wrapping the pipe with exhaust/heat wrap will make a BIG difference on intake air temps.

Anyone who has an Injen intake (or any other intake with a metal pipe) should see my post on heat wrapping and sealing around the snorkel.

Also, here's a reference on thermal conductivity of common materials: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...ity-d_429.html
avishenoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avishenoy1 For This Useful Post:
notout86 (08-24-2015), stevesnj (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #28
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishenoy1 View Post
There's really no need to heat shield the stock intake system or any other silicone inlet tube. Silicone has a very low thermal conductivity coefficient, meaning, even if the outside of the tube gets hot, there will be very little heat transferred to the intake air on the inside. Therefore, wrapping a silicone tube will make a marginal difference on intake temps, if any at all.

However, If you have an aftermarket intake with an aluminum pipe, that thing will get hot quickly. Since aluminum has a thermal conductivity coefficient 3 orders of magnitude greater than silicone, once that pipe gets hot, it is transferring that heat to your intake air VERY well. In this case, wrapping the pipe with exhaust/heat wrap will make a BIG difference on intake air temps.

Anyone who has an Injen intake (or any other intake with a metal pipe) should see my post on heat wrapping and sealing around the snorkel.

Also, here's a reference on thermal conductivity of common materials: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...ity-d_429.html
Yeh to me a "cold air" intake is misleading in my opinion. If the outside air is more directly focused in a straight line somehow that would be more effective. Corvettes have their air direct from the front in a straight line to the intake. Very effective.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote