follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #29
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had a chance to really go through all the components, everything just exudes quality. I've started the interior trim removal process, and will do the install/test tomorrow.

I highly suggest watching the youtube video and reading the manual before beginning so that you are more mentally prepared for what needs to be done.

I do that with everything I install and it usually works our great with less time spent referring back to the manual or trying to learn how it works during the install.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #30
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Anyone else start their install?

I have done everything except run the power cables from the quick sync harness to the battery, all speakers are installed.

Things of note.....

My subwoofer seems to have a hole drilled slightly off. With the allen bolt installed, the end of the bolt was angled down severely, and would not line up with the speed nut in the trunk no matter how you held the enclosure. I saw a dimple on the back of the sub that I am assuming is where the bolt SHOULD come out, but the actual hole was about 20mm lower. I re-drilled the hole and everything lined up perfectly after that.

The rear speaker upgrade for the SL system that I got did not bolt up to the OEM speaker holder. The holes were about 3mm too far apart from lining up. Drilled the holes out larger, then they bolted right up. No big deal, but something to note and I wonder if anyone else had this problem.

Everything else went perfectly smooth, I am going to run the power wires when its cooled down a bit outside and see if it powers up and all the speakers are working correctly. So far happy with the quality, even if I had to drill a few holes out larger and re-drill the subwoofer mounting hole. In re-drilling the sub hole you can see that the fiberglass or glass reinforced plastic they used is very high quality and SOLID not hollow where the mounting point is.

So far so good

How has everyone elses install been going? I think there were like 2 or 3 of us getting the system delivered at the same time....
Old 08-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #31
ravisraval

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Anyone else start their install?

I have done everything except run the power cables from the quick sync harness to the battery, all speakers are installed.

Things of note.....

My subwoofer seems to have a hole drilled slightly off. With the allen bolt installed, the end of the bolt was angled down severely, and would not line up with the speed nut in the trunk no matter how you held the enclosure. I saw a dimple on the back of the sub that I am assuming is where the bolt SHOULD come out, but the actual hole was about 20mm lower. I re-drilled the hole and everything lined up perfectly after that.

The rear speaker upgrade for the SL system that I got did not bolt up to the OEM speaker holder. The holes were about 3mm too far apart from lining up. Drilled the holes out larger, then they bolted right up. No big deal, but something to note and I wonder if anyone else had this problem.

Everything else went perfectly smooth, I am going to run the power wires when its cooled down a bit outside and see if it powers up and all the speakers are working correctly. So far happy with the quality, even if I had to drill a few holes out larger and re-drill the subwoofer mounting hole. In re-drilling the sub hole you can see that the fiberglass or glass reinforced plastic they used is very high quality and SOLID not hollow where the mounting point is.

So far so good

How has everyone elses install been going? I think there were like 2 or 3 of us getting the system delivered at the same time....
Yea I also have issues with the sub lining up. The rear speakers worked ok, but I'm not sure if I wired them correctly - there was no indication of which wires hook up to which, if you follow. The sound is... better than stock. I'm a bit underwhelmed. I double checked the connections to the amp and they seem fine. Perhaps I got a bad amp like a few others. Will get in touch with O+ to check it out.
ravisraval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #32
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisraval View Post
Yea I also have issues with the sub lining up. The rear speakers worked ok, but I'm not sure if I wired them correctly - there was no indication of which wires hook up to which, if you follow. The sound is... better than stock. I'm a bit underwhelmed. I double checked the connections to the amp and they seem fine. Perhaps I got a bad amp like a few others. Will get in touch with O+ to check it out.
Are you using the stock headunit?

I just finished running the power and changing the door speakers and played some flac files on my android headunit.
It sounds better than stock speakers, I did have to mess with the EQ settings as it sounded very flat (what I expected from a reference system).
But, it sounded even more "flat" than my non-eq'd computer setup, which is a T1 MK2 tube USB DAC going to Pioneer S-DJ05 reference speakers.

There was no way my rear speakers were bolting in unless I drilled them out. I checked the youtube video for the SL series install but I did not see mention of which order you need to repin the speaker connector wires. I just matched colors (red/black) on the passenger side, and then matched +/- (marked on the speaker) with the factory red/black wiring.

I thought my sub was not working as well, but if you put your ear to it the sub does indeed fill out the lows nicely without going crazy.

I will need to listen to the system over the next week or so before I judge it, but I am impressed so far with the soundstage and overall clarity of the system. I need to have my audio engineer friend take a listen as well and see what he thinks, he can be very.... picky
Old 08-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #33
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I just finished my install. Mine sounds great! I have a 2013 10 series FRS, so I have the touch screen head unit. I really like this head unit, and figured I would have to settle for crappy sounds to keep it. This system rocks now. I can turn it up loud enough to be very very uncomfortable. I am a gigging musician, I play bass. I am kind of used to very loud stage volume, and this is that loud. At very high volumes, the bass from the subwoofer tops out, but at medium loud volumes it is very impressive. It never distorts though, that surprises me. I chose robust bass, and I am so thankful that i did. I had a problem initially with the sound clipping/cutting out. It hummed and crackled even when I turned off the head unit. The two 22 pin connectors that went into the processing unit on the subwoofer were zip tied together very close together. This caused the white plug to be pulled on, pulling the yellow power wire away from the box. I think this was limiting voltage to the box, causing my problems. I cut the zip tie freeing up the plugs from one another, and that did the trick. I was very meticulous with connections after reading that was the number one technical problem customers had with the system. I called the tech line and they told me to go through and double check all connections. I wanted to laugh at the guy, but when I went to pull the plugs out of silver box on the back of the sub, I could not get them out. I could tell they were being squeezed together because of the zip tie, and when I cut it they came out ok. They were clicked in, but like I said, the white one was really in a bind. Problem solved now though, I am very pleased. Also, the sub was very difficult to install. Mine actually hovers just millimeters above the trunk mat. There is nothing on the enclosure to grab to lift it up. I had a hard time keeping the carpet, the nut plate, and the box alligned. Another 10-20mm length on the bolt would have been very helpful. I ended up enlarging the hole in the trunk carpet (up on the wall of the passenger side of the trunk), and getting a very small pry bar under it to raise it up, I reached forward in the trunk and pulled back on the enclosure, and finally got it in. I also used a T handle allen wrench so I could push in very firmly as I turned the allen bolt.
I also must add that OEMaudioplus really does have exceptional customer service. Daniel was very gracious with me even after I posted earlier in this thread about the shipping delay. I didn't hold back, and he didn't ever treat me with anything other than kindness and respect. They are a legit company, and Daniel is top drawer!
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #34
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I also had to drill out the holes on the rear 4" speakers a bit. Daniel sent me a link to a video on rear speaker installation, but there is a difference on the left and right speaker wire orientation that the video doesn't address. I forgot to list that in my post above.

Quote:

I just finished running the power and changing the door speakers and played some flac files on my android headunit.
It sounds better than stock speakers, I did have to mess with the EQ settings as it sounded very flat (what I expected from a reference system).
But, it sounded even more "flat" than my non-eq'd computer setup, which is a T1 MK2 tube USB DAC going to Pioneer S-DJ05 reference speakers.

There was no way my rear speakers were bolting in unless I drilled them out. I checked the youtube video for the SL series install but I did not see mention of which order you need to repin the speaker connector wires. I just matched colors (red/black) on the passenger side, and then matched +/- (marked on the speaker) with the factory red/black wiring.

I thought my sub was not working as well, but if you put your ear to it the sub does indeed fill out the lows nicely without going crazy.

I will need to listen to the system over the next week or so before I judge it, but I am impressed so far with the soundstage and overall clarity of the system. I need to have my audio engineer friend take a listen as well and see what he thinks, he can be very.... picky
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #35
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
The two 22 pin connectors that went into the processing unit on the subwoofer were zip tied together very close together. This caused the white plug to be pulled on, pulling the yellow power wire away from the box.
Had this same issue, I cut the ziptie before I even attempted to plug those connectors in. It was super tight with the ziptie on there

Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
I also must add that OEMaudioplus really does have exceptional customer service. Daniel was very gracious with me even after I posted earlier in this thread about the shipping delay. I didn't hold back, and he didn't ever treat me with anything other than kindness and respect. They are a legit company, and Daniel is top drawer!
This. All of my interactions with Daniel have been top notch.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #36
Hen3ry

Drives: 2014 FRS Monogram Edition
My system should be delivered today, but I doubt I'll have time to install it until the weekend.
It's a little disappointing to hear about the fitment issues, but it sounds like easy fixes with a drill. I'll have to make sure i have one handy when I install.

Also, out of curiosity, what level of bass reproduction did everyone get (balanced, full, robust)? I ordered robust mostly based on this review thread . Curious to see your guys thoughts were before I get mine installed.
Hen3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #37
ravisraval

Quote:

Yea I am on the stock hu.
I installed the system with 2 friends - one who is a mechanic, and one who is a car enthusiast and an audio engineer. I am a classical singer, have a degree in music, and conduct two high caliber choirs. The system is better than stock, but no where near the quality of my klipsch 2.1 computer speakers or my sennheiser headphones. I'll redo the hu connections and double check the wiring on the rear speakers, but something is up.
Could you link the rear speaker install video?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #38
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisraval View Post
Yea I am on the stock hu.
I installed the system with 2 friends - one who is a mechanic, and one who is a car enthusiast and an audio engineer. I am a classical singer, have a degree in music, and conduct two high caliber choirs. The system is better than stock, but no where near the quality of my klipsch 2.1 computer speakers or my sennheiser headphones. I'll redo the hu connections and double check the wiring on the rear speakers, but something is up.
Could you link the rear speaker install video?
The only rear speaker install I saw was in the SL series youtube video and it does not show the wire colors and which orientation you need to install

What are you listening to as far as music? I like to listen to a few different songs to test setups...

Peter Gabriel - So
Eagles - Hotel California
Ice Cube - You know how we do it
Dire Straights - Sultans of Swing
Dark side of the Moon album
Tangerine Dream soundtracks

Which Sennheiser cans are you running?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #39
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen3ry View Post
My system should be delivered today, but I doubt I'll have time to install it until the weekend.
It's a little disappointing to hear about the fitment issues, but it sounds like easy fixes with a drill. I'll have to make sure i have one handy when I install.

Also, out of curiosity, what level of bass reproduction did everyone get (balanced, full, robust)? I ordered robust mostly based on this review thread . Curious to see your guys thoughts were before I get mine installed.
I got full, I wonder how much more noticeable robust is
Old 08-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #40
ravisraval

Quote:
The only rear speaker install I saw was in the SL series youtube video and it does not show the wire colors and which orientation you need to install

What are you listening to as far as music? I like to listen to a few different songs to test setups...

Peter Gabriel - So
Eagles - Hotel California
Ice Cube - You know how we do it
Dire Straights - Sultans of Swing
Dark side of the Moon album
Tangerine Dream soundtracks

Which Sennheiser cans are you running?
I listen to an eclectic mix : edm, classic rock, renaissance madrigals, etc. Pretty much everything that would test the system. Nothing FLAC, but 320 kbps.
Sennheiser 280, so not the top of the line but certainly good.
Listened a lot when the car is stopped and when driving. Even when it's stopped the quality is meh.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #41
ravisraval

And let me add that I'm not trying to say O+ is bad at all. After all the positive reviews I'm sure it's an install issue or a bad amp.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #42
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quickly jumping in here, did y'all check to see if the stock headunit setting resetted back to "tC"? That's what happened to me when I had my sub and amp installed (not OEM+, different unit). Thought the hu would have some capacitors to keep the settings after disconnecting the battery but it doesn't.

Changed it back to FRS, my preferred setting, and it sounded much better.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote