follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Ryancdossey

Drives: 2013 Frs Whiteout, 2001 Ford Escape
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Motorcycle Mechanic.... Feeling overwhelmed

So I have let the dealer service my car up till now. I no longer have a garage so I may have to take the car somewhere. Just moved from MO to IN so looking around.

13 Frs whiteout with right at 37k on it.

Immediate needs: Tires and Brake Pads

Not a fan of the stock tires. But not looking to drop 1k on them either. I have stock wheels, drive moderately aggressive, and drive back and forth from INDY to STL. NO track days or Auto X.

What do you guys recommend?

Brakes: Just noticed from the trip out here they appear to need to be done like yesterday. One shop said my rotors have to be swapped out as well (sight unseen) because of the OEM pads? They're not squeaky yet but are starting to get there. What pads do you guys use? Garage full of it on the rotors? Or am I swapping them out as well?

From digging around the maintenance section it looks like it's recommended that I swap out my diff/6spdM fluid. As far as I know it hasn't been done and I'm at 37k. Hopefully nothing got messed up? Little paranoid.

Man I'm spoiled from only every working on bikes. Seem to be MUCH simpler.

Car was being driven 80 miles a day all highway to work. So hopefully that helps.
Ryancdossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancdossey View Post
So I have let the dealer service my car up till now. I no longer have a garage so I may have to take the car somewhere. Just moved from MO to IN so looking around.

13 Frs whiteout with right at 37k on it.

Not a fan of the stock tires. But not looking to drop 1k on them either. I have stock wheels, drive moderately aggressive, and drive back and forth from INDY to STL. NO track days or Auto X.

What do you guys recommend?

Brakes: Just noticed from the trip out here they appear to need to be done like yesterday. One shop said my rotors have to be swapped out as well (sight unseen) because of the OEM pads? They're not squeaky yet but are starting to get there. What pads do you guys use? Garage full of it on the rotors? Or am I swapping them out as well?

From digging around the maintenance section it looks like it's recommended that I swap out my diff/6spdM fluid. As far as I know it hasn't been done and I'm at 37k. Hopefully nothing got messed up? Little paranoid.

Man I'm spoiled from only every working on bikes. Seem to be MUCH simpler.

Car was being driven 80 miles a day all highway to work. So hopefully that helps.
I would look into Nitto Invo's. I run those love them for a DD tire. They cost about $1000 installed here in canada, may be cheaper for you. Only downside is they only come in 225/45r/ 17 and up, but to me thats a good thing haha.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Ryancdossey

Drives: 2013 Frs Whiteout, 2001 Ford Escape
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I would look into Nitto Invo's. I run those love them for a DD tire. They cost about $1000 installed here in canada, may be cheaper for you. Only downside is they only come in 225/45r/ 17 and up, but to me thats a good thing haha.

Appreciate you chiming in. I'm looking to keep the tires around 600 or so. Preferably something I can just slap on the stock rim.

Michelin pilot sport as3 is looking decent.

Any thoughts on my other issues guys?
Ryancdossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Appreciate you chiming in. I'm looking to keep the tires around 600 or so. Preferably something I can just slap on the stock rim.

Michelin pilot sport as3 is looking decent.

Any thoughts on my other issues guys?
225/45r/17 fits, I am still on stock rims

Edit: and for brake pads go with TRD front and back, Like $150 for a fullset. I put front TRD pads on my buddy’s car and he seems to love them. Don’texpect a huge improvement but they are quite and low dust and cheap too! I’msure your rotors should still be fine after a machining and proper brake in(i.e. 10 hard stops from like 100km/h to like 10km/h back to back to bed thenew rotor surface in and transfer some pad material)

Last edited by go_a_way1; 07-28-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added some more
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,982 Times in 11,395 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

What do you guys recommend? .
I've been very happy with a set of Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus tires I recently changed to and based on your description may match what you want. About the price you are looking for, better ride and grip than the Primacy and have had zero negative impact on fuel mileage.

For more details visit me Owner's Journal go to the last post and scroll up a few, you'll see my full comments on them over a period of time. First post is #370.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The service manual only states that those fluids are to be inspected at certain intervals. People replace the fluids in an attempt to smooth out the gearbox, not because it's required. Don't stress about that one for now.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote