follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #71
Special_K
Bannéd

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Thanked 2,077 Times in 911 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@tmcmullins

Apple Pie is one of my favorites but I find it craps out my cotton/coil really fast from the ingredients.

Here's my best recipe to date. If you don't have all of the ingredients, feel free to substitute similar flavors. All of my flavors are from The Flavor Apprentice.

Bay Rum Recipe:
2.5ml PG
19ml VG
1.5ml Chai Tea
1ml Horchata
.5ml Banana Nut Bread
.25ml Honeysuckle
.5ml Black Honey
.5ml Mild Black Tobacco
.25ml Sour
25 drops Koolada
1.5ml 190 proof grain alcohol

Total: ~30ml
The fascinating thing about my signature is that by the time you realize that it is of no importance, it will also be too late to stop reading it. Good luck getting those five seconds of your life back.
Special_K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Special_K For This Useful Post:
tmcmullins (08-04-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #72
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Figure I'll bump this up again. Picked up an IPV 4S yesterday and have been using ni200 OCC coils with my subtank mini. Probably going to go out today and pick up a dripper as that seems like the next logical progression for me. I sort of regret getting the IPV 4S as I kind of bought into the hype of it, and my subtank mini and kanger subox 50w were doing the trick for me so far but it is what it is.

Also having a problem of the OCC prebuilt coils not wicking fast enough. I don't have this problem when I do my own builds. Any tips you guys have?
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #73
Special_K
Bannéd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
Figure I'll bump this up again. Picked up an IPV 4S yesterday and have been using ni200 OCC coils with my subtank mini. Probably going to go out today and pick up a dripper as that seems like the next logical progression for me. I sort of regret getting the IPV 4S as I kind of bought into the hype of it, and my subtank mini and kanger subox 50w were doing the trick for me so far but it is what it is.

Also having a problem of the OCC prebuilt coils not wicking fast enough. I don't have this problem when I do my own builds. Any tips you guys have?
IMO the kanger prebuilt coils will never keep up with something you can build. After the coils that came with my kangertank finally died I never bought any more because they were like $10 for a pack and you can build a better wicking/flavor/cloud for 10cents
The fascinating thing about my signature is that by the time you realize that it is of no importance, it will also be too late to stop reading it. Good luck getting those five seconds of your life back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Special_K For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (07-27-2015), tmcmullins (08-04-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #74
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_K View Post
IMO the kanger prebuilt coils will never keep up with something you can build. After the coils that came with my kangertank finally died I never bought any more because they were like $10 for a pack and you can build a better wicking/flavor/cloud for 10cents
Yeah, started building my own lately, but I don't have nickel or titanium wire yet. I ended up getting the IPV 4S and just grabbed the ni200 coils for convenience. I need to stock up on some stuff in the mean time. Didn't realize that I'd need a battery charger as the 4S doesn't charge, it only has a USB port for firmware upgrades.

Next time I'm at the store, I'll be getting a charger, nickel/ti wire and some cotton as well as a dripper to try my hand at it.

I managed to make a decent RBA that wicked really well, but the resistance was a touch higher than I wanted at 1.0 ohms. Took me about 4 or 5 tries to get a nice coil and get the amount of cotton just right. I figure I'll have a whole new learning curve once I get a dripper. Looking to get something like this for the time being just to see if I like dripping. Any suggestions on it? I don't want to blow a good amount of cash only to have it sit on the shelf. Last time I was in the shop, the guy working said he used that for a while but outgrew it and went onto something a bit fancier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
Special_K (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #75
Special_K
Bannéd

Quote:
Yeah, started building my own lately, but I don't have nickel or titanium wire yet. I ended up getting the IPV 4S and just grabbed the ni200 coils for convenience. I need to stock up on some stuff in the mean time. Didn't realize that I'd need a battery charger as the 4S doesn't charge, it only has a USB port for firmware upgrades.

Next time I'm at the store, I'll be getting a charger, nickel/ti wire and some cotton as well as a dripper to try my hand at it.

I managed to make a decent RBA that wicked really well, but the resistance was a touch higher than I wanted at 1.0 ohms. Took me about 4 or 5 tries to get a nice coil and get the amount of cotton just right. I figure I'll have a whole new learning curve once I get a dripper. Looking to get something like this for the time being just to see if I like dripping. Any suggestions on it? I don't want to blow a good amount of cash only to have it sit on the shelf. Last time I was in the shop, the guy working said he used that for a while but outgrew it and went onto something a bit fancier.
I finally made the plunge and picked up an RDA. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO RBA!!! Seriously man, they are so friggin easy to build. I've got the Turbo RDA, which is quite amusing because it has an internal fan that spools when you rip on it. I've never seen the one you posted, but I'd be wary of getting one with the vent holes being that low (leakage), and non adjustable. My Turbo cost me $30 and I'd say it was worth it for sure. I'd recommend you going with clones of the Mutation X or the Doge V2. Should clock in right at your pricepoint, but won't leave you wanting more.
Attached Images

Bergen23 (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #76
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
I finally made the plunge and picked up an RDA. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO RBA!!! Seriously man, they are so friggin easy to build. I've got the Turbo RDA, which is quite amusing because it has an internal fan that spools when you rip on it. I've never seen the one you posted, but I'd be wary of getting one with the vent holes being that low (leakage), and non adjustable. My Turbo cost me $30 and I'd say it was worth it for sure. I'd recommend you going with clones of the Mutation X or the Doge V2. Should clock in right at your pricepoint, but won't leave you wanting more.
They do have the Doge V2 at the shop for a few bucks more. Maybe I'll go for that one then. Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
Special_K (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #77
Special_K
Bannéd

Quote:
They do have the Doge V2 at the shop for a few bucks more. Maybe I'll go for that one then. Cheers!
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #78
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Ended up picking up the Mutation x V5. Overall, I like it. Good airflow, decently deep so I can put a good amount of juice in. However, there has been a bit of a learning curve. I messed up the coils it came with the first time I tried to build it and I just finished a... Subpar build at best, but I'm not letting that discourage me since it's a kind of fun time building these. Every time I make a workable coil I get pumped and can't wait to try it out. It ain't pretty, but it does the trick. It's at .54 ohms, 4 wraps. Used 28g wire, wrapped around the "universal tools" 30g rod, cotton bacon and using Ponyboy Vapes (a local vape shop back home who makes their own juice) "Silly Rabbit" (trix cereal) juice and I'm vaping at 60W. I guess once I start getting a lower resistance, I'll need to keep upping the wattage?. Adding some pictures for reference.

Any tips on the build would be super appreciated. I realize I need to get the wire straighter as it comes off the post, but for my first build on this deck, I'm fairly satisfied.

IMG_1035 by colekmiecik, on Flickr

IMG_1036 by colekmiecik, on Flickr
Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #79
Special_K
Bannéd

Quote:
Ended up picking up the Mutation x V5. Overall, I like it. Good airflow, decently deep so I can put a good amount of juice in. However, there has been a bit of a learning curve. I messed up the coils it came with the first time I tried to build it and I just finished a... Subpar build at best, but I'm not letting that discourage me since it's a kind of fun time building these. Every time I make a workable coil I get pumped and can't wait to try it out. It ain't pretty, but it does the trick. It's at .54 ohms, 4 wraps. Used 28g wire, wrapped around the "universal tools" 30g rod, cotton bacon and using Ponyboy Vapes (a local vape shop back home who makes their own juice) "Silly Rabbit" (trix cereal) juice and I'm vaping at 60W. I guess once I start getting a lower resistance, I'll need to keep upping the wattage?. Adding some pictures for reference.

Any tips on the build would be super appreciated. I realize I need to get the wire straighter as it comes off the post, but for my first build on this deck, I'm fairly satisfied.

IMG_1035 by colekmiecik, on Flickr

IMG_1036 by colekmiecik, on Flickr
Mutation X is a great choice, congrats on the new setup! I'd highly recommend getting the app "Steam Engine" to help you come up with build numbers. I don't know what that battery is rated for, but you might want to do 5 wraps instead of 4 to get the ohms down to around 0.3. Guaranteed there will be a lot of trial and error, I mess up my coils all the time. Practice makes perfect, but it sounds like you're off to a great start.

Here's how I make my standard coils:
>5-5.5 wraps of 26g around a 2.2-3mm post (the screwdrivers are like 1.8-2mm, I use an allen wrench set to get different diameters)
>Mount it in the posts so the legs of each coil are even.
>Snip excess wire.
>Check on your ohm meter to make sure there aren't any shorts.
>Fire the coils dry until they get red
>Squeeze the coils together with tweezers to even out the hot spots.
>Alternate firing and squeezing until both coils glow orange evenly.
>Roll cotton and thread through coils in a loop (Some people use two pieces, I just use one. Remember though, LESS IS MORE! rookie mistake is drowning coils in too much cotton by stuffing too much excess into the well).
>Double check that your ohms are within your target range.
>Enjoy

...I'm pretty sure my first day with my RDA I built about 30 coils trying to get it perfect. So I'd say you're already ahead of the curve.
Bergen23 (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #80
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hey guys mind if i join the party?
Got into vaping a few months ago but i've only been able to kick the cigs completely 2 weeks ago. Just wasnt ready i guess. Now i'm vaping at 6mg but find some juices to be a lot harsher than others.
My current favorite juice is The downside from Schwartz.
1st setup was a Kanger subtank nano on an istick 30w which i loved, but so did my g/f so she got it.
2nd setup was a Kanger subtank mini on a Smok m80. Also have a Baal carbon RDA to go with my carbon drip tip i got from a local shop, works great with the m80
3rd and current is the new Kbox Mini in White. I love having a compact mod with the 50w capability, plus the new vertical coils are much improved and wick way better than the horizontal occ kanger coils.
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kotu100 For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (07-27-2015), Special_K (07-28-2015), xoxomichaela (08-04-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #81
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotu100 View Post
Hey guys mind if i join the party?
Got into vaping a few months ago but i've only been able to kick the cigs completely 2 weeks ago. Just wasnt ready i guess. Now i'm vaping at 6mg but find some juices to be a lot harsher than others.
My current favorite juice is The downside from Schwartz.
1st setup was a Kanger subtank nano on an istick 30w which i loved, but so did my g/f so she got it.
2nd setup was a Kanger subtank mini on a Smok m80. Also have a Baal carbon RDA to go with my carbon drip tip i got from a local shop, works great with the m80
3rd and current is the new Kbox Mini in White. I love having a compact mod with the 50w capability, plus the new vertical coils are much improved and wick way better than the horizontal occ kanger coils.
My first set up was exactly the same, but I got the subtank mini. I also have the Kanger subox white edition. I read a lot of bad things about the smok m80, and steered away from it.

But I definitely agree with you, having the subtank mini and a 50w mod in such a tiny form factor is amazing. Now that I have the IPV4S and a good RDA and the kanger, I can hang out and vape on the IPV and use the kanger at work. Best of both worlds for just a touch over 200.

But holy fuck, this is an expensive thing to get into! Especially when you start progressing and getting into more and more advanced stuff quicker than average haha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
Kotu100 (07-27-2015), Special_K (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 12:14 AM   #82
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
My first set up was exactly the same, but I got the subtank mini. I also have the Kanger subox white edition. I read a lot of bad things about the smok m80, and steered away from it.

But I definitely agree with you, having the subtank mini and a 50w mod in such a tiny form factor is amazing. Now that I have the IPV4S and a good RDA and the kanger, I can hang out and vape on the IPV and use the kanger at work. Best of both worlds for just a touch over 200.

But holy fuck, this is an expensive thing to get into! Especially when you start progressing and getting into more and more advanced stuff quicker than average haha
You're not kidding about the cost. Theres so many tanks i want to try but i'd rather mod the brz and do track days lol.

I havent had any issues with my m80, works great on mech mode for my rda and wattage mode for my tanks. Never use temp mode really and at $55 for an 80W 4400mah mod i couldnt say no.

The arctic tank is next on my list for sure, anyone else have one already?
What tanks do you use other than kangers?
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #83
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotu100 View Post
You're not kidding about the cost. Theres so many tanks i want to try but i'd rather mod the brz and do track days lol.

I havent had any issues with my m80, works great on mech mode for my rda and wattage mode for my tanks. Never use temp mode really and at $55 for an 80W 4400mah mod i couldnt say no.

The arctic tank is next on my list for sure, anyone else have one already?
What tanks do you use other than kangers?
Shit, we get fucked on prices up in Canada. When I was looking at the m80, it was around 82 bucks, and for the complaints I heard about it, I couldn't justify it (but it fairness, most of the negatives had to do with temperature control, and now that I have a TC mod, I've found I'm not really using that feature at all). So I went with the IPV4S for 110, and the most negative thing I heard was "If you have the IPV4 already, it's not worth the upgrade". I have some of the ni200 coils, and they're ok, but other than that haven't bothered much with anything TC related. A plus to the IPV4S is that it goes up to 120W. I felt it was the best bang for the buck.

I've only encountered one person with the Arctic tank, but that guy loved it and the guys at the shop say it's pretty decent. I feel pretty satisfied with the subtank mini, so I have 2 of them (1 including in the subox combo) and 3 if you include the subox I bought for my girlfriend haha. Other than that, I had a Joyetech eGo One for a little while, but couldn't find any replacement coils for it, so that got put onto the shelf. It was a really decent vape, but very simple. I think I ended up paying about ten bucks more for the subox than I did for the ego one. If I could find coils for it, I may hold onto the tank and use it every now and then, as I really like the draw it has on it.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:31 AM   #84
Special_K
Bannéd

Sometimes I think how much $$ I could have saved if I had gone straight to a setup like I have now. I started with those $10 gas station pens and slowly worked my way up. Way cheaper in the long run to just pony up at the start IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Special_K For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (07-28-2015), Kotu100 (07-28-2015)