follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
PST BRZ- Aim MXL2 Dash/Logger Install

We've got some big plans for this car, but the first thing we need to do is install a data system. We'll be installing tire temp sensors on two of the wheels, shock pots on all four corners, oil temperature and pressure, fuel pressure, and who knows what else. Our main goal for this system is vehicle development rather than driver development, but by going with an MXL2 we can get the best of both worlds. The ECU shares quite a bit of information with the data system over CAN like brake pressure, steering angle, etc. so we'll have some great driver training aids as well. Not to mention fun stuff like predictive lap timing.

The new Aim software (Race Studio 3) is also really easy to work with, it's a step up over the older RS2 software that's used with the MXL Pistas, etc. Setting up the dash was SUPER easy, and I can't emphasize enough how nice it is to have an actual USB connection rather than messing around with serial ports and UARTs.

My goals for this install were full steering wheel adjustment motion, aesthetic integration (it's still a street car, sort of), and hand clearance to the wheel. With those goals in mind, the first step was to mount the dash itself. We took apart a bunch of the dash, looking for good mounting points. We pulled the cluster, surrounding panels, etc. and finally settled on the steering column mount. By mounting the cluster to the column mount, we can fix the position relative to the rest of the dash, but still retail the combination meter. We don't intend on pulling that cluster while the factory ECU is still in the car, as it's important for diagnostics, the pedal dance, etc.

We installed the GPS unit on the truck lid to guarantee a good signal, and routed the cable through the factory rubber conduit, under the back seat, and down the driver's door sill tray.

The Aim system a single CAN connection to the dash for all CAN devices, including the GPS. Since we'll be adding a bunch of temperature sensors to this car, we added a CAN Expander. I found a nice place for it on the top of the steel knee plate on the left side.

Sorry for the amateur photography, but you can sort of see it tucked away in there.

For this install, we decided to take advantage of the ECU communications as much as possible. For these ECUs, that means tapping into pins 6 and 14 with CAN+ and CAN-, respectively. I went with the simple method of stripping the wire, wrapping the bare wire around the "main" wire, and soldering the joint. Power was stolen from the radio's ACC line (7.5A circuit).

Since I really wanted this to look as clean as possible, I trimmed the upper steering column mount to clear the harness. It would have cleared with the steering wheel all the way back, but pushing the wheel forward would have pinched the harness. Nothing 30 seconds with a bandsaw can't fix.

I mentioned earlier this has a USB connection, which I love. They supply a panel-mount connector, so I put it on the side panel by the trunk release button. That way a crew member can easily plug into the data system with the driver strapped in. (Again, please excuse the shoddy photography.)

Here's a shot of it all bolted back together. I'm really happy with how this came out. You can still see the cluster behind it if you really need to, but it's otherwise front and center. The gas gauge is visible around the right side of the MXL2, and the low fuel warning is very visible.

It's nice and centered in the wheel.

Playing around with some of the parameters it can display from the ECU. It can log brake pressure! And steering angle! I'm so excited.

I like the way it looks in the car. Adds a nice look to the interior, and it'd still be legal for street use since the factory odometer is still in place.

So far, I'm really happy with this system. It's very easy to set up, technical service has been good if you've got any really detailed questions (like analog sensor resolution), and it looks awesome. If I was going to install another one, it would probably take 4-5 hours all in all.

I'll keep updating this thread as we install the tire temp sensors, engine sensors, wheel pots, etc.

Jake

Last edited by GSpeed; 06-18-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Image Hosting
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
aciddemon (10-05-2016), AZP Installs (06-18-2015), DustinS (06-22-2015), FrX (06-18-2015), in_sherman (05-11-2021), juliog (07-15-2015), MaximeT (07-20-2015), toby714 (06-19-2015), u/Josh (06-23-2015), Valentino (07-25-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Very nice, we are going to be installing one of these or the MXG on our Spec86 Cup car later this summer.

Definitely will be watching this thread for updates!

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #3
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
VERY interesting, there is not one good thread about how to install the aim system to our car, aside of the solo DL.

I am very eager to see who you add your additional sensor.

If you have more pictures, please post

I am especially curious to know, at the current stage, how many wires do you have connected to the XML2 ?

- power
- can +
- can -
- something to the usb ? [ would love to know part number ]
- something to the can expendander ? [ would love to know part number(s) for any cables and such.. ]

Looks sleek.. please keep us posted. I also intend to install either MXL2 or MXG. they are both quite expensive, not sure yet if I'll drink the full cool aid bottle or just half of it lol

I am most interested by the possibility to display on the AIM dash the cluster lights for traction control and check engine light. As these don't come through the can and definitely needed all the time.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
GSpeed

As of now, I've got the MXL2 wired to the radio's ACC line, CAN+, and CAN-

The USB port is the part that comes with the dash. The CAN expander is just plugged into the 37 pin harness.

This PDF on Aim's site lists the harness connections, and actually lists the connectors needed. They're all Binder 917s and 912s, I believe.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...L2_103_eng.pdf

I prefer to use Deutsch connectors for sensors, so I'll probably be making some extenders out of Binder connectors and DTM connectors. I don't want to cut up the Aim harness if I don't have to, you never know what you'll need to change out in the future.

Here are my notes for the Binder connectors that match the Aim harness:

I'll be adding more posts as I add more sensors. I'm adding TC hubs to the front and rear of the car, and wiring up the linear pots next. Let me know if there's any other questions I can answer for you.

Jake
Old 06-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
Streetthrowback

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I used it in my lotus and I loved it!!!
Streetthrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
thanks jake !

I wil be following closely, looks like this is not your first rodeo
Old 06-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
sstfnv

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can you still use the OBD port to flash/tune?

I thought if you use the CAN pins you can't connect any other CAN device. So EcuTek, OFT, etc will not work unless you have a switch to disconnect the wires for the AIM MXL2 ?
sstfnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
GSpeed

I don't know, honestly. I can still use the OBD functionality to pull codes and whatnot, but I haven't tried ecutek. It wouldn't be hard to wire in a double pole switch, though, if that were the case. I was thinking about playing around with that Sparkfun Arduino CAN BUS shield, I guess that would answer that question.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll keep that in mind when we get to that point.
Jake
Old 06-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
FrX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1993 Lexus SC300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've found the EcuTek adapter to be a bit sensitive when other devices are plugged into the bus. It doesn't really expect to have any other devices on the bus making queries.
FrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
owenxguo

Drives: MY13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Awesome, I just installed MXL Pista on my car too. I was wondering if AIM has oil pressure channel available for our cars? I can only get Oil temp for now.
owenxguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
GSpeed

Negative, only oil temperature. Here's what comes up in RS3:

RPM
Vehicle Speed
Throttle Pedal (%)
Brake Pressure
Steering Angle
Brake Switch
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Intake Temp
MAP
AAT
Barometric Pressure
Lambda AFR
Throttle Load (%)
Lambda Temp
Clutch Switch Status
Wheel Speeds (4X)
Oil Temperature
Gear
Old 06-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
AZP Installs

That's not a function of the AIM MXL, it's a result of the fact that the BRZ doesn't have a pressure sensor that is monitored by the ECU/OBDII/CAN bus.

You need to install a pressure sensor and then route it into the MXL unit if you want to monitor oil PSI. Which is a good idea.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
Old 06-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #13
GSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
That's not a function of the AIM MXL, it's a result of the fact that the BRZ doesn't have a pressure sensor that is monitored by the ECU/OBDII/CAN bus.

You need to install a pressure sensor and then route it into the MXL unit if you want to monitor oil PSI. Which is a good idea.

-Mike Paisan
Agreed. Definitely do this if you'll be tracking the car with a data system. It's just too easy to add when you've got 99% of the hardware already installed. I put a picture of ours in our car's build thread, I don't think I put one in this thread.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST View Post
Agreed. Definitely do this if you'll be tracking the car with a data system. It's just too easy to add when you've got 99% of the hardware already installed. I put a picture of ours in our car's build thread, I don't think I put one in this thread.
Great stuff guys. I just sent this over to our crew as this is what we are planning for our Spec86 Cup car. The beauty of the AIM MXL dash is that you can set it up to flash the whole dash when you have a warning on one of the monitored sensors. In a race environment not having to worry if your gauges are inside the acceptable parameters is very awesome!

We will likely be adding in:
Oil Pressure
Rear Diffy Temp (Maybe?)
Trans Temp (Maybe?)

-Mike Paisan