follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #15
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just put an AARP sticker on your bumper and stuffed animals on your back dash if you want to be left alone.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NWFRS For This Useful Post:
8ighty6 (06-20-2015), covance (06-24-2015), funwheeldrive (06-20-2015), humfrz (06-25-2015), JellyForSale (06-21-2015), kthxbai (06-25-2015), PhantomX (06-20-2015), Tectoniic (06-22-2015), WhiteFRS69 (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #16
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
First, you would need a car that could catch up to them.

Need that Burn Heal, sir! Right in the feels.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
This is going to sound like heresy, but the key to getting people to leave you alone is to keep your car dirty. A dirty car does not attract attention. A clean car is a magnet. A shiny spotless car is a sign of the owner's pride in his machine. That is exactly what the knucklehead Mustang drivers want to challenge. A shiny, clean car is a magnet for resentment (for those that feel resentful already). A shiny, clean sports car exponentially increases that resentment.

Even though I would prefer a shiny, clean car, it feels just as driver friendly, frisky and fun when it is dirty on the outside. If you bought the car to show off, then keep it clean - it is worth it to you. But, if you bought the car simply because you enjoy superb handling, rear-wheel drive and a crisp manual transmission - then try keeping it dusty. It is a lot more relaxing and, it is kind of fun, because only you notice how good the car is.
So even though you prefer a clean car, you keep yours dirty so those scary mustang owners don't give you a hard time?

What is so hard about ignoring another driver's taunts?

Last edited by funwheeldrive; 06-20-2015 at 01:16 PM.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
kch (06-25-2015), Marco_86 (06-20-2015), NWFRS (06-20-2015), PhantomX (06-20-2015), soulreapersteve (06-20-2015), Tcoat (06-20-2015), tinma (06-25-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
That's a good question, and it deserves an answer. Someone revving his engine at a stop light and laying down some rubber is not a problem, if he just goes on his way and that's where it ends. But with my car being red and shiny, I periodically encounter assholes who signal they want to "race" by driving aggressively around me, cutting me off, swerving in front of me, tailgating and other aggressive moves. Some have done some very dangerous things with absolutely nothing from me to encourage them other than driving a car that looks fast. The worst are the ones who do something stupid to get in front of you, then slow down to try to challenge you again when you won't take their bait.

It's not easy to ignore a stupid piece of shit trying to get you or himself killed. There have been some times I wished I had my gun with me and was glad later that I didn't.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
So even though you prefer a clean car, you keep yours dirty so those scary mustang owners don't give you a hard time?

Nah, you don't really get it. It's not about taunts or not, those are just annoying. I didn't buy the car to get noticed. I bought it to enjoy those things that I like (RWD, MT and great handling). I enjoy it more when I am not being annoyed by Mustang douches, not worrying about the dust motes that are going to make my car dirty again - hours after I clean it, and not worrying about someone trying to steal it. I know this is not for everyone.

I think this response should prove to you that I am not afraid to respond to douchebags that "challenge my manhood" with silly taunts.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #20
PhantomX
INTJ

Drives: 2017 86 860
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure everyone's had a "come race me bro" encounter. I don't think it matters how dirty or clean it is. Clean ones probably attract more "come race me bro" people because they think you baby your 86 and therefore don't have the balls to do anything "drastic" with your 86. Dirty tends to indicate that you'd be willing to do crazy things with your 86, so I'm pretty sure those "missed/avoided" "come race me bro" encounters was because they were intimidated by you.

I like keeping my car clean during the weekends and tend to let it go during the weekdays. I get similar amounts of encounters both dirty and clean, light to overly aggressive. On a straight, long distance drive, I'll just laugh at them and shake my head. Once we hit a corner, then I have my fun and start to lose them. Whether they catch up to me afterwards doesn't concern me. In the end, it's all a matter of your perception.

Last edited by PhantomX; 06-20-2015 at 03:29 PM.
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomX For This Useful Post:
FRiSson (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #21
Terran

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yup, just had a douche in a WRX try to race me recently.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Said it before and will repeat it yet again. Many of these "race me encounters" are simply people trying to get a better look. Others can simply be some jerkwad that drives like that all the time and they would have done the same thing no matter what you were in and may not even have noticed or cared what you were driving. Some guys just notice the bad drivers more when they get their shiny new car even though nothing has really changed. Then again some are challenging but we never will really know what percentage that is unless you chase them all down and ask.

Anyway I can not understand the thought process behind people that by fancy, fast looking cars (notice the word used) and then complain about people wanting to "race" them.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #23
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Others can simply be some jerkwad that drives like that all the time and they would have done the same thing no matter what you were in and may not even have noticed or cared what you were driving.
Perhaps a few, but the reactions are noticeably different between my BRZ and my beat up old Jeep. People don't challenge the Jeep the way they do the BRZ. It's all based on looks. Little do they know the Jeep is actually faster in a straight line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Anyway I can not understand the thought process behind people that by fancy, fast looking cars (notice the word used) and then complain about people wanting to "race" them.
I don't mind if someone wants to race and then minds his own business when I make it clear I don't. If they want to blast off from a red light and then congratulate themselves on "beating" a BRZ that didn't take the bait, I don't care, because they're down there at the next block and not messing with me.

What gets me feeling murderous are the idiots who just won't take no for a fucking answer or who think the way to get me to race is to swerve over into my lane within inches of my car. Those people deserve pinworms.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
PhantomX (06-20-2015), Tcoat (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #24
IBill4You
Banned

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I wish these young punks would get off my damn lawn too!
IBill4You is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IBill4You For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (06-21-2015), dubaar (06-21-2015), kthxbai (06-25-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #25
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,812 Times in 19,087 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I periodically encounter assholes who signal they want to "race" by driving aggressively around me, cutting me off, swerving in front of me, tailgating and other aggressive moves. Some have done some very dangerous things with absolutely nothing from me to encourage them other than driving a car that looks fast. The worst are the ones who do something stupid to get in front of you, then slow down to try to challenge you again when you won't take their bait.
Only happens to me during local 86 events.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #26
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Perhaps a few, but the reactions are noticeably different between my BRZ and my beat up old Jeep. People don't challenge the Jeep the way they do the BRZ. It's all based on looks. Little do they know the Jeep is actually faster in a straight line.

I don't mind if someone wants to race and then minds his own business when I make it clear I don't. If they want to blast off from a red light and then congratulate themselves on "beating" a BRZ that didn't take the bait, I don't care, because they're down there at the next block and not messing with me.

What gets me feeling murderous are the idiots who just won't take no for a fucking answer or who think the way to get me to race is to swerve over into my lane within inches of my car. Those people deserve pinworms.
Only had the one so far that was a real asshat and he almost died. Probably be worse if I lived around the bigger cities though.
When I bought the car I fully expected to get more racer attention than I have so I went into it with the knowledge people would want to go. I guess my confusion is more based on the guys that are surprised it happens than those that are just annoyed by it.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #27
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Doesn't happen much anymore - guess the word is out about our (stock, non FI modded) straight line acceleration. Heck, I don't even get the soccer moms in mini vans taunting me anymore
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #28
Sousuke

Drives: 2015 Raven Scion FR-S
Does your FR-S/86 attract idiots wanting to race?

I had some kids try to race me in their very loud Honda. At a light about to enter the freeway, they revved their engine and I thought it was my car since I could not see them and I'm still trying to learn to drive stick so they confused me and I wasn't sure if I had gone into gear correctly. I tried to switch to a higher gear and I ended up shaking my car and they still tried to race me thinking I did it on purpose. They weren't even going the same way! I was taking the south entrance and they were going north it was so pointless and I could've caused an accident.

This car attracts wanted and unwanted attention so I guess I'll just have to learn to deal with it until more people are aware of this car's specs.
Sousuke is offline   Reply With Quote