follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #29
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuser View Post
I am biased of course, but Asphalt seems like the proper choice here.
3. Maybe it's just me, but when I see white cars I think of "fleet" vehicles, e.g. company cars and rentals.
Hahaha! yup I drove a white government car for over 20 years which is why I bought Asphalt since all my previous cars were all white too.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
Defuser (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #30
pLaydEad86

Drives: Scion FRS Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Halo, just like any pearl color, is much harder to paint match. With that said, I went with whiteout (the pearl option for 2014). I was debating between it and asphalt, but since the car I traded in was flint mica (charcoal), I figured to go with white. lol

Also, I don't think pearl white photographs as well. It's more of a in-person color. haha
No offense but halo or whiteout whatever that is looked dull.
pLaydEad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #31
guy

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mine is a whiteout, and believe me the tri-coating color looks great. You don't need to wash a white car that frequently, that I think is an advantage considering the all the dust/dirt in the city. BTW, Im pushing 30, and still feels great driving around in a white car.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guy For This Useful Post:
xtral (06-11-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #32
BobbyDee

Drives: 2013 FRS 6MT
Asphalt has this metallic look, it just looks too good to me
Attached Images

BobbyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobbyDee For This Useful Post:
86geek (05-19-2015), pLaydEad86 (05-18-2015), xtral (06-11-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #33
sittinSideways

Drives: '13 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
No matter which choice you go with, you'll regret it, and wish you did the other. Then, after a matter of time, you'll learn to love your color choice and eventually be happy with it.
sittinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sittinSideways For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (05-20-2015), DarkSunrise (05-20-2015), Tcoat (05-18-2015), xtral (06-11-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 01:10 AM   #34
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,862 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pLaydEad86 View Post
No offense but halo or whiteout whatever that is looked dull.
Mine is supposed to have a matte-like finish since it's satin white pearl. Halo would be more of a gloss finish.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 AM   #35
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,862 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Also, I had a dark gray/charcoal car before my FR-S, so I have experience with both. lol. Dark gray will always photograph better, but it gets dirty (and shows) much faster. Harder to maintain too since it will show any imperfection more so than white. (I had a white car and a black car prior to this Yaris as well)

With all of that said, since it's primarily your wife that will be driving the car, she should really have the final say on the color.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
xtral (06-11-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #36
Purdue FR-S
Boiler Up!

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
What's this Halo BS?

OG Whiteout or nothin!
Purdue FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #37
5thGenOwner

Drives: '10 SS & '15 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue FR-S View Post
What's this Halo BS?

OG Whiteout or nothin!

It's the new white, you should check it out in person if you've not seen it.

Both Asphalt and Halo look amazing in person! But I think Asphalt will last the test of time, where Halo will eventually show its age.
5thGenOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #38
Purdue FR-S
Boiler Up!

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
It's the new white, you should check it out in person if you've not seen it.

Both Asphalt and Halo look amazing in person! But I think Asphalt will last the test of time, where Halo will eventually show its age.
Haha Yeah I know, I saw the two colors compared at the autoshow actually. Both are nice, I prolly couldn't tell the difference to be honest.

Just getting some nostalgia going.

To the OP, I had difficulty making the same choice. I suggest you cancel your order and go get the WRB BRZ . . . b/c every single time I see one I think "maybe $2k wasn't too much to pay for that" :P
Purdue FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:48 AM   #39
xtral

Drives: Ford Focus 09'
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuser View Post
I am biased of course, but Asphalt seems like the proper choice here.

1. Wife

2. The trim pieces blend in with Asphalt much better. Mainly the ugly piece of plastic where the back-up lights are located.

3. Maybe it's just me, but when I see white cars I think of "fleet" vehicles, e.g. company cars and rentals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I'd think that if you live in a very dusty, dirty environment the Asphalt will show dirt faster. I have Whiteout and it cleans up nicely and gradually "fades" to white then gray as it gets dirty whereas Asphalt is close enough to black it will show dirt, dust and water spots pretty quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy View Post
Mine is a whiteout, and believe me the tri-coating color looks great. You don't need to wash a white car that frequently, that I think is an advantage considering the all the dust/dirt in the city. BTW, Im pushing 30, and still feels great driving around in a white car.
Shanghai is a pretty dirt/dust city.. A white is the best appropriate choices for most cars. I guess I will go asphalt and calm down..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinSideways View Post
No matter which choice you go with, you'll regret it, and wish you did the other. Then, after a matter of time, you'll learn to love your color choice and eventually be happy with it.
I think that is exactly what I am.

Quote:
Also, I had a dark gray/charcoal car before my FR-S, so I have experience with both. lol. Dark gray will always photograph better, but it gets dirty (and shows) much faster. Harder to maintain too since it will show any imperfection more so than white. (I had a white car and a black car prior to this Yaris as well)

With all of that said, since it's primarily your wife that will be driving the car, she should really have the final say on the color.
Thanks for the detailed photos, I never owned an Asphalt vehicles, if I regret and my wife won't like this car anymore, I will probably resell it and buy a new other color again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue FR-S View Post
Haha Yeah I know, I saw the two colors compared at the autoshow actually. Both are nice, I prolly couldn't tell the difference to be honest.

Just getting some nostalgia going.

To the OP, I had difficulty making the same choice. I suggest you cancel your order and go get the WRB BRZ . . . b/c every single time I see one I think "maybe $2k wasn't too much to pay for that" :P
Shame, it's Too late, the deposit is not refundable, unless they can't give me the car until October. I always preferred the Subaru Logo a supporter of homo
Other point is there are some anti-nippon spirit in this country, and they're generally low-educated, means they only recognise the logo of TOYOTA and scratch and beat these japanese car. Hence Subaru is not well known.. And it looks like a Chinese brand so it's very safe and low profile..

TOYOTA was the manufacturer of the trucks for American Army during the war between USA/Korea+China. ( Which my grand father participated and survived)
Subaru was the manufacturer of the air craft engine during the 2nd war, part of them are kamikaze I guess.

If this TOYOTA dealer won't give me the car until October I will go BRZ WRB and buy my wife a SMART FORTWO...
xtral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xtral For This Useful Post:
Purdue FR-S (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #40
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinSideways View Post
Hahaha this is true. I bought whiteout, then regretted not going with my original choice (firestorm), but now am satisfied with whiteout.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Purdue FR-S (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #41
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes .
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #42
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

May look dull as some have stated, but park it next to other whites, it makes Lexus white look like bird poo.

I've received nothing but compliments on the: "cream colored white." as they put it.

Also, it is hard to paint match as well as Halo, but, hey, if I wanted to keep it in mint condition, i'd buy a dino sized condom and wrap it in there.

Halo, looks nice, but just doesn't do it for me. Makes me think of white with a blue hint in it. Maybe its my eyesight? Other beautiful colour I would have gone with is hot lava aka orange-red. I see many with it, but it's still a nice colour.

Black, grey...etc those dark colours fade easily ime, and seem like every other car.

if I see a dark Civic, a black Camry and a FR-S asphalt, to me its just like looking at 3 cars, not a Civic, Camry..etc.. Might as well go with argento.

Whiteout