follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 AM   #1
Lelantas

Drives: '15 BRZ ISM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car Washes in South Bay?

Where have you guys been going to get your cars washed, especially now that drought restrictions have essentially banned washing your cars in your driveways? Any good touchless washes in the South Bay/San Jose area?

And on a side note, any recommended places to get your car detailed/Opti-Coated? Not sure if I want to splurge on that stuff yet though...
Lelantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:53 AM   #2
Jolaessss

Drives: SWP FR-S
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
If you want a self-service place, I would recommend E-Z Carwash on Snell Rd. I go there quite frequently --they accept card and have the colorful soap!

If you're willing to travel a few miles, there's also Chevron's Premeir Carwash on Montague Expressway in Milpitas. They charge ~$35 for a VIP hand wash that includes interior vacuuming

Last edited by Jolaessss; 05-12-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Jolaessss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jolaessss For This Useful Post:
jcygts6 (05-15-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 03:21 AM   #3
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What are the new restrictions? From what I understand you could still wash your car as long as it's after a certain hour and with a nozzle that stops the water, as long as your water isn't running it's fine.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:38 AM   #4
FUN BRZ
Drive 2 Eat, Eat 2 Drive

Drives: FUN SUPERCHARGED 2013 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post
What are the new restrictions? From what I understand you could still wash your car as long as it's after a certain hour and with a nozzle that stops the water, as long as your water isn't running it's fine.
This is what I thought too. Cuz I just washed my car a few nights ago in my driveway. I did it at night around 8.

FUN_BRZ <--- "Insta-Fun"
FUN BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Drives: 1997 Subaru Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelantas View Post
Where have you guys been going to get your cars washed, especially now that drought restrictions have essentially banned washing your cars in your driveways? Any good touchless washes in the South Bay/San Jose area?

And on a side note, any recommended places to get your car detailed/Opti-Coated? Not sure if I want to splurge on that stuff yet though...
I haven't been very happy with the performance of Opti-Coat. I have the consumer grade version (Opti-Coat 2.0) on my car and though it works... I was really expecting more.

If you want to stick with Opti-Coat, make sure to ask the installer which version of Opti-Coat they are using. They should be using Opti-Coat Pro (or just Opti-Coat now). OPT discontinued the consumer line Opti-Coat products and renamed it to Gloss-Coat. Opti-Coat is now only available through installers only.

I would also look into the CQuartz coating line. That is a very popular coating also.

In regards to who can install a coating, a few options:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/auto-salon-works-belmont-2

http://www.yelp.com/biz/immaculate-reflections-antioch

http://www.yelp.com/biz/orinda-auto-detail-orinda

http://www.yelp.com/biz/auto-concier...te+reflections

The last one I listed, Bob/Auto Concierge is as high level as you can get. And charges accordingly.

Last thing: If I were you, I would only go to someone who is well established. For whatever reason, I feel like everyone and their mom is a "detailer." Just be careful. It is cheaper to do it right the first time than having someone hack up your car and then have it fixed.
darkonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Lelantas

Drives: '15 BRZ ISM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaessss View Post
If you want a self-service place, I would recommenrecommendwash on Snell Rd. I go there quite frequently --they accept card and have the colorful soap!
Thanks for the recommendations. The name seems to have gotten scrambled though; what's the self-service place you're talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post
Here's a quick run-down. Specifically:
Quote:
It is now prohibited for anyone in San Jose to wash a car with potable water at home, whether or not they are using a hose with a shut-off nozzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkonion View Post
I haven't been very happy with the performance of Opti-Coat. I have the consumer grade version (Opti-Coat 2.0) on my car and though it works... I was really expecting more.

If you want to stick with Opti-Coat, make sure to ask the installer which version of Opti-Coat they are using. They should be using Opti-Coat Pro (or just Opti-Coat now). OPT discontinued the consumer line Opti-Coat products and renamed it to Gloss-Coat. Opti-Coat is now only available through installers only.

I would also look into the CQuartz coating line. That is a very popular coating also.
Interesting, thanks for the detailed suggestions. I'll have to think about whether it's worth it after all.
Lelantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Kamakanani0

Drives: Scion FRS (RAVEN)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I'll let my work speak for itself. If you have any questions just PM. Oh and check out Eco quartz coating by igreenlover thats what I use.

I'm located in Alameda
Find me on yelp at Makas Detail

And instagram @MAKasdetail & @Kamakanani0keanuenue

Facebook is makas detail

Philippians 4:13
Kamakanani0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I guess it varies by county because I just looked in my area and it's still ok, just not between 11 AM and 6 PM. Personally though I don't see why they're restricting you washing your car even with a nozzle, people will go to car washes which will end up using just as much water.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uEih For This Useful Post:
Kamakanani0 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for the detailed suggestions. I'll have to think about whether it's worth it after all.
Paint coatings are absolutely worth it. I just wouldn't go with Opti-Coat. Just my personal opinion. Opti-Coat is the gold standard, but I think there are better products out there. If I were to go with a coating, I would go with CQuartz or Americoat. I had 22PLE on my last car, and that was great. But it was a first generation paint-coating. It can't compete with newer coatings as they are more glossy and more durable now.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have had Opti-Coat on my car for 3 years. Excellent product and no issues. Bird droppings, sap, etc. easily clean off the car and I have only spray waxed my car. Looks flawless every single wash. That being said, after 42,000 miles I am thinking I will need to have some paint correction and opti-coast reapplied at the 60K mark.

I also wash my car every other weekend in my driveway, with a karcher electric pressure washer. No issues in San Mateo...
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
jcygts6 (05-15-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Jolaessss

Drives: SWP FR-S
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. The name seems to have gotten scrambled though; what's the self-service place you're talking about?

LOL! I'm sorry, my phone was acting up when I was typing. It's called E-Z Carwash
Old 05-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
jcygts6

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ
I had Cquartz finest applied on my SWP BRZ by Joe at OCDetailing. He used to be the owner of Orinda detail, but branched out and works at a shop in Walnut Creek now.

He is only 1 of 2 people in Norcal who is authorized to install Cquartz Finest. Kinda on the pricey side as I paid over 1K to get it done, but he's been coating cars for years.

-J
jcygts6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcygts6 View Post
I had Cquartz finest applied on my SWP BRZ by Joe at OCDetailing. He used to be the owner of Orinda detail, but branched out and works at a shop in Walnut Creek now.

He is only 1 of 2 people in Norcal who is authorized to install Cquartz Finest. Kinda on the pricey side as I paid over 1K to get it done, but he's been coating cars for years.

-J
1 of 3 actually. Jeff@Immaculate Reflections and Man@Detail Maniac are also Finest installers.
The Following User Says Thank You to darkonion For This Useful Post:
jcygts6 (05-15-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #14
jcygts6

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ
any good self service car washes around fremont/union city area?
jcygts6 is offline   Reply With Quote