follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
SHIFTER

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ca-Fi Dashlinq4 Accessory - Integrated Dashcam

Well - clearly the Dashlinq4 is hot around here, im glad i was able to turn you guys on to it.

So it appears Ca-Fi is offering a plug and play dashcam that integrates into the Dashlinq4 now, so i had to try it out! I was in the market for a dashcam recently because of how BAD the traffic is in South Florida, but never pulled the trigger because most of them were pretty MEH.

Here is the one I'm running:
http://ca-fi.com/store/index.php?rou...product_id=395

What to do you get?
In the box is two things - the camera, with a small sticky pad for mounting - and a 3 yard long USB cable....plenty to run it from the windshield to the stereo.

Install
Install is easy as can be - mount it wherever you want and run the usb cord to a USB port on the Dashlinq4. I mounted mine behind the rear view mirror, and stuffed the cord under the headliner from the front. I had to pop out the moulding going down the pillar, but total install time was 10 minutes. Note - you will need to update your Dashlinq4 with the new firmware posted on there site to take advantage of the unit however. Refer to the other thread regarding how to do this.

Note: You should probably get a usb hub if you run this (unpowered is fine) - as you'll likely want your USB Wifi Adapter, this Dashcam, and a USB Thumbdrive plugged in at all times. The Dashlinq can power all of those items at the same time no problem.

I'm using this one with great success:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M0NURK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: AmazonBasics 4-Port USB 2.0 Ultra-Mini Hub: Electronics[/ame]

Also - a thumbdrive is needed if you want to record at this time - it does not record to internal or SD card storage right this moment. Also it does record anytime the unit is on

Usage:

This is stupid simple to use. Once you update your firmware - a new app called "Tachograph" will show up. Open it and youll see what your dashcam is pointed at. Only two buttons show up - one to select options (where you will pick which storage device to use - which only USB works right now) and a second to hit record.

Once you hit record - this thing records all the time, it will resume even after powerdown.

All files are saved as AVI files - and can be accessed via the USB app - or under the options in the app. Quality is great!

Thoughts
Considering the price and integration with the stereo - im sold! Its an awesome dashcam, and performs flawlessly. The integration is the win - as you can easily watch and rewind videos instantly in the car on the stereo, where other dashcams would require you to use a PC. Win!

The only upgrade I'd love to see is support for two cams so I can have one in the rear... but for now im happy.
SHIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SHIFTER For This Useful Post:
petr (05-20-2015), protpibe (05-08-2015), ringo16 (05-07-2015), SilverlightPony (05-23-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #2
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Honestly, for the price, if you have this head unit you should have the dash cam. Like you said, it's so simple to install then set it and forget it.

Awesome
Old 05-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tempted to add cam but need something that records when car is parked. I assume this only works when car is on. Also anyone have root on new firmware?
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:31 AM   #4
XtremeMaC

Drives: Asphalt Grey FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
wow impressed. I wonder if this can replace the goPro at anytime for my autoX uses
Old 05-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTER View Post
So it appears Ca-Fi is offering a plug and play dashcam that integrates into the Dashlinq4 now, so i had to try it out! I was in the market for a dashcam recently because of how BAD the traffic is in South Florida, but never pulled the trigger because most of them were pretty MEH.

Here is the one I'm running:
http://ca-fi.com/store/index.php?rou...product_id=395

<snip>
Cool. I've been using a Cobra CDR 820 since September; it worked well for a while, but lately it's been having issues with the power cord connection going in and out. Thinking about getting this Ca-Fi one to replace it. (Still gonna check on warranty replacement for the Cobra one; I can always put it in my truck)

How exactly did you route the cable to the HU?
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Installed this a couple weeks ago also. My only complaint is that the highlights are blown out on bright days. Can't see, let alone read, license plates. I'm thinking of getting something I can put over the lens to act as an ND filter to reduce the exposure. Maybe even a polarizing filter to go a step further. For the price and easy of setup though, I'm OK with it.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:39 AM   #7
SilverlightPony

Got my cam a few days ago. Recorded with it for the first time today.

Got a few nits to pick.

First, there ain't much in the way of options for the recording app. I'd at least like the ability to set the info overlay to MPH instead of km/H. Turning off different parts of that overlay (hide lat/long coords, or speed, etc.) would be nice as well.

Second, there's no sound on my recorded files. Is this normal?

Thirdly, the video files play back at about 1.3x speed. I started a stopwatch when the timestamp in the video was at 00s, and by the time the stopwatch was at 10 seconds, the timestamp in the video showed 13. Not sure if this is the fault of the camera itself, or the way the app encodes the saved files, but it's damned irritating.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:20 AM   #8
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post

Got a few nits to pick.

First, there ain't much in the way of options for the recording app. I'd at least like the ability to set the info overlay to MPH instead of km/H. Turning off different parts of that overlay (hide lat/long coords, or speed, etc.) would be nice as well.

Thirdly, the video files play back at about 1.3x speed. I started a stopwatch when the timestamp in the video was at 00s, and by the time the stopwatch was at 10 seconds, the timestamp in the video showed 13. Not sure if this is the fault of the camera itself, or the way the app encodes the saved files, but it's damned irritating.
What's the frame rate of the camera?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
SilverlightPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
What's the frame rate of the camera?
I dunno what the actual capture rate of the sensor is, but the files' properties say they're encoded at 25 fps. I have a hunch that the actual capture rate is more like 20 (19.97, maybe?), but the app is mis-labeling the framerate causing them to get played back faster.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:22 AM   #10
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
I dunno what the actual capture rate of the sensor is, but the files' properties say they're encoded at 25 fps. I have a hunch that the actual capture rate is more like 20 (19.97, maybe?), but the app is mis-labeling the framerate causing them to get played back faster.

Can you try to play the on another device? Some video chips don't play well with different frame rates.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #11
SilverlightPony

I'm playing it back on my computer, not on the HU.

I tried two different media player programs (VLC and KM Player); both played it back at the higher speed.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
Pwolf

Quote:

Got a few nits to pick.

According to CA-FI the software is still in beta, which I wish they had been more open about when buying the camera... that said, it is a cheaper solution then getting a dedicated system and at least it works. I have yet to actually grab any video and see how it actually plays. I will do that when I get to work and report back. Also, yes no sound.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #13
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
This is epic! I been using my gopro and tablet.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #14
Pwolf

Quote:
Finally had a chance to look at it and mine is behaving the opposite. The timestamp goes from 0 to 10 and the timestamp in the player is at 13, suggesting that the video is playing slower.

I also noticed that the timestamp in the video skips a second every now and then as well.