follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #1905
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This unit seems to mount the SD card in a different manner than most android devices, leading to odd behavior in some apps that use it. (Pretty sure this is why I can't get Poweramp to read my playlists correctly)
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #1906
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
Has anyone installed the dashcam successfully yet?

I just got mine this morning. Installation was a piece of cake in terms of hardware. The software part not so much. First of all, it's ridiculous that it wipes the onboard data/settings with a firmware update, and secondly the dashcam app does not see any available storage both with onboard or SD card. It says there isn't a SD card inserted when there is.

Any ideas?
I ordered mine so I'll see what happens when I get around to installing it.

Where did you mount yours?
Old 05-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #1907
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwolf View Post
I ordered mine so I'll see what happens when I get around to installing it.

Where did you mount yours?
Just beside the rear view mirror mount below the black windshield trim stuff. Can't see it at all.

I ran the cords in the headliner to the B-Pillar on the passenger side. Super easy to install.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #1908
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoniel View Post
Just finished my full install on a BRZ Limited! Thanks to everyone on this thread especially @SVXdc for super helpful wiring explanation in post #1645. I also successfully connected rear view camera, USB and aux ports. If anyone has any questions about any of these feel free to ask while it's fresh in my mind.

Question: I'm not that impressed with the audio quality. I know several of you have said the sound is better than stock. Could you guys post your EQ settings? I have the OEM audio+ system, maybe I need them to retune the amp?
I have had mine installed for a while but want to add backup camera. What all do I need?

Also I am going to hookup my sub amp to the regular RCA outs. I currently have a single RCA coming from the "sub out"with a splitter but this reduces the effective voltage. Need to rewire and test.
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #1909
Devante
Crescent fresh at best.

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S - Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just want you all to know that it took me four days at work to read through this entire thread. ha
Devante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Devante For This Useful Post:
DC2R (05-08-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #1910
SHIFTER

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Whoa guys - just whoa. 84 pages.

I've been busy as hell with work this year and havent had time to chime in, sorry to anyone that tried to PM me. But, i think theres a few other experts here now
SHIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHIFTER For This Useful Post:
DC2R (05-08-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #1911
SHIFTER

Quote:
Has anyone installed the dashcam successfully yet?

I just got mine this morning. Installation was a piece of cake in terms of hardware. The software part not so much. First of all, it's ridiculous that it wipes the onboard data/settings with a firmware update, and secondly the dashcam app does not see any available storage both with onboard or SD card. It says there isn't a SD card inserted when there is.

Any ideas?
yep - i was just going to make a post about it.

SD card and onboard are bugs right now - they're working on it, this app is still in beta. A USB drive works great. Im running a 64gb usb drive on mine and have it half filled after two weeks
Old 05-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #1912
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Yeah they emailed me back, only usb works right now. I'm using an 8gb stick thru a usb hub and it works just fine. I'm actually really pleased with how easy it is. You literally don't don't have to do anything
Old 05-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #1913
SHIFTER

Quote:
Yeah they emailed me back, only usb works right now. I'm using an 8gb stick thru a usb hub and it works just fine. I'm actually really pleased with how easy it is. You literally don't don't have to do anything
seriously - you don't have to do anything - it just works

im surprised how fast you can fill up a drive... my 64gb is half full after a few weeks.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #1914
SHIFTER

dont miss out - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87998

The Following User Says Thank You to SHIFTER For This Useful Post:
shadoken (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #1915
dinoniel

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
rearview backup camera installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
I have had mine installed for a while but want to add backup camera. What all do I need?

Also I am going to hookup my sub amp to the regular RCA outs. I currently have a single RCA coming from the "sub out"with a splitter but this reduces the effective voltage. Need to rewire and test.
Can't help with the sub as I am running the OEM audio plus system which is plug and play with factory. But my camera setup was with a Rydeen Miny camera. I also had the SWC harness here:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-AX-TOY28SWC-Steering-Controller-Connector/dp/B00BXF5A74/"]Amazon.com: Axxess AX-TOY28SWC Steering Wheel Controller Add-On Harness with RCA and 28-Pin Connector for Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics[/ame]

TWO OPTIONS:

1) If you have that harness (to retain the AUX port in this case) then it's really easy. You have to repin it as explained in post 1644/1645 by SVXdc here.

Essentially you repin the harness so that there is a pin at location #2. Then you can connect this wire to your red power wire and also connect both of these to the brown "Back" wire coming off the Ca-fi unit. That is how I did it and it works perfectly such that the camera only gets power when in reverse and the headunit automatically switches to the camera display.

2) If you don't want to buy the SWC harness it's ok. Which camera are you using?

1. Basically your camera probably has a yellow component video in which obviously goes into the head unit labeled "reversing image in" thats easy enough.

2. Near the component video on your camera wire is probably a red wire. This wire connects to the brown "back" wire of ca-fi.

3. Your camera on the other end probably has a ground wire, most people ground this where the stock amplifier sits in the trunk.

4. So now you provided ground and the ability for the headunit to detect you're in reverse. All thats left is to give the camera power. To do this you want to connect the red power wire (probably near the ground wire you clipped to the amp ground location) to the reverse light wire. There are several locations people tap into this. In the trunk near the reverse light itself or near the driver side kick panel are two common areas. Theres lots of threads with pictures that will explain better than me. Heres one example:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56569

Last edited by dinoniel; 05-08-2015 at 08:58 PM. Reason: fixed link
dinoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dinoniel For This Useful Post:
DC2R (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #1916
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoniel View Post
Can't help with the sub as I am running the OEM audio plus system which is plug and play with factory. But my camera setup was with a Rydeen Miny camera. I also had the SWC harness here:
Amazon.com: Axxess AX-TOY28SWC Steering Wheel Controller Add-On Harness with RCA and 28-Pin Connector for Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics

TWO OPTIONS:

1) If you have that harness (to retain the AUX port in this case) then it's really easy. You have to repin it as explained in post 1644/1645 here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...+audio&page=75

Essentially you repin the harness so that there is a pin at location #2. Then you can connect this wire to your red power wire and also connect both of these to the brown "Back" wire coming off the Ca-fi unit. That is how I did it and it works perfectly such that the camera only gets power when in reverse and the headunit automatically switches to the camera display.

2) If you don't want to buy the SWC harness it's ok. Which camera are you using?

1. Basically your camera probably has a yellow component video in which obviously goes into the head unit labeled "reversing image in" thats easy enough.

2. Near the component video on your camera wire is probably a red wire. This wire connects to the brown "back" wire of ca-fi.

3. Your camera on the other end probably has a ground wire, most people ground this where the stock amplifier sits in the trunk.

4. So now you provided ground and the ability for the headunit to detect you're in reverse. All thats left is to give the camera power. To do this you want to connect the red power wire (probably near the ground wire you clipped to the amp ground location) to the reverse light wire. There are several locations people tap into this. In the trunk near the reverse light itself or near the driver side kick panel are two common areas. Theres lots of threads with pictures that will explain better than me. Heres one example:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56569
Thank you for the excellent response. Guess all I need is the camera. I want to mount it opposite of the trunk lock for two reasons:
I don't wave to remove the lock.
I am already running auxiliary reverse lights through tag holes.

Anyone drill out trunk and install camera here? Any links to cam?
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #1917
shadoken

Drives: FRS RS 1.0
I am considering upgrading my AudioUnit and was stuck between this and the Pioneer 8000NEX.

I want the NEX because it has CarPlay , but this one is much cheaper and essentially does the same thing since it has android in it. If anyone has used both How is the experience on this compared to CarPlay? Smooth Lag-free..etc?

Also how the Maps App on this thing. I heard you can use Google Maps? But how does that work without internet connection. Does this allow you to tether to your iPhone via USB or Wifi?
shadoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:40 PM   #1918
shadoken

Drives: FRS RS 1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTER View Post
Wow this is pretty awesome. +1 for the CaFi side now. Is it possible to connect this as well as a RearDashCam and BackupCamera as well?
shadoken is offline   Reply With Quote