follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #6063
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,986 Times in 16,484 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my67falcon View Post
It's 77.3 miles each way. Not all that bad.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Oh, NOW ....... "I see"; you are commuting between Warrensburg, MO and Olathe, Kansas ........ NOT Olathia, MO.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #6064
Astral Abyss

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Greetings folks,

I've been lurking on here for about 2 years now, so I figured it was time to finally make an account.

My interest in the FR-S/BRZ twins started back in 2012 when I first began seeing information and pictures of them. It looked and sounded like the perfect car for me. The best part was that I was in the market for a new car... win/win, right? Unfortunately, I was really hesitant to buy a new model car from a joint venture like this. At the same time, I'd also been eyeing the Mustang GT with track pack and Camaro SS 1LE, as I'd never had a car with a V8 before, and those options seemed to get rid of a lot of the negatives of those two heavy cars. Curiosity got the better of me in the end. So, I ended up going with a 2014 Mustang GT track pack, custom ordered in Jan 2013. My car arrived right at the beginning of March 2013. (Yes, you didn't misread that, Ford was already taking orders for the 2014 Mustang in January of 2013...)

The sad part is, I've had so many problems with the Mustang that I might as well have bought the FR-S instead. Even with the known minor problems the twins had at the start, it would have been less than the host of problems my Mustang came with, not the least of which was a leaking radiator from the factory, screwed up clutch plate, and defective wheel hub that wore down one of my tires really fast. That's only the major stuff that's gone wrong... So anyway, enough of that. I think I've finally got everything fixed on the Mustang so I can actually start to enjoy it without getting in and wondering what will break today... 2 years later.

I came really close to pulling the trigger on an RS 1.0 last month. The big dealer here in Tucson, AZ still had an automatic on the lot that was on sale for $29,500. I was on my way in to go look at it when I realized I wasn't willing to take the huge depreciation hit on my current car, plus the loss of value of all the mods I've done already. With the current KBB value of my car sitting at around $26k and me having paid right around $36k for it (after taxes), it just pained me too much to wait for the inevitable offer of $20k from the dealer and the fight that would ensue. (I've already paid it off, so I do have options at least) I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for the RS 2.0, or whatever special edition comes out this year. You never know.

Anyway, expect the random post or comment from me occasionally as I check the forums daily... and since I can finally post
Astral Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Astral Abyss For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (05-08-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #6065
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Abyss View Post
Greetings folks,

I've been lurking on here for about 2 years now, so I figured it was time to finally make an account.

WELCOME .......

Well now, a hindsight thing ...... I bought a 2013 model year FR-S and haven't had a bit of trouble with it.

It appears to me that a lot of the reported "problems" with the FR-S are "caused" by people ...... messen with the engine .....

It has been my experience, that if you're waiting for the "perfect" car to come out ....... you're gonna have a looooong wait ......

I suggest you continue to read up on the FR-S/BRZ, take one for a spin and if it "fits", wear a pretty one home .....

humfrz
Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #6066
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subscap View Post
Hi everyone!

Just recently brought home my 2015 Halo FR-S 6MT... which also happens to be my first ever new car purchase! After owning well-used cars my whole life, I finally decided to treat myself to something that I can focus on driving vs wrenching on. Currently suffering through the cruel and unusual punishment that is the 4,000 rpm limit during the first 1,000 mile break-in with plans to celebrate with an autox at 1,001 miles!

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to push it once in a while. :P

And once I get the money, this car will be my first ever purchase also!
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (05-08-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #6067
trvth

Drives: '15 Halo Scion FRS, 1999 Saturn SC2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my67falcon View Post
I live outside Warrensburg and work in olathe. I have a 4X4 for snowy days and unless they made a miata bigger, I'm to tall for it.

Me sporting my Fulvia back in the day.

I drove a Lancia Scorpion "back in the day". It was my first autocross car.
trvth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #6068
my67falcon

Drives: 1995 Trans Am 'vert/2011 Fx2 F150
So you were either well versed in auto repair or you knew a guy :-P

I'll always have a soft spot for them.

my67falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:36 AM   #6069
Astral Abyss

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
WELCOME .......

Well now, a hindsight thing ...... I bought a 2013 model year FR-S and haven't had a bit of trouble with it.

It appears to me that a lot of the reported "problems" with the FR-S are "caused" by people ...... messen with the engine .....

It has been my experience, that if you're waiting for the "perfect" car to come out ....... you're gonna have a looooong wait ......

I suggest you continue to read up on the FR-S/BRZ, take one for a spin and if it "fits", wear a pretty one home .....

humfrz
Yep, I really wish I had gone with the FR-S originally. I guess now I have time to look around, if nothing else. I'll keep my eyes open when the 2016s start appearing on the lots. I'm really curious to see what that new blue color looks like in person.
Astral Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:58 PM   #6070
Nokken

Drives: none
Hey, just browsing and researching the platform a bit. Ive been car shopping for a while and pretty much just cant make up my mind. Ive been interested in a twin for a little while. Test drove both the ST cars and they didn't do anything for me. Trying to find a dealer near me that I can test drive an frs/brz.

Currently in a heavily modded civic. The aftermarket support for these cars is pretty attractive compared to what's been available for the civics lately.

Well ill try not to ask too many nooby questions. See you around.
Nokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:40 AM   #6071
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokken View Post
Hey, just browsing and researching the platform a bit. Ive been car shopping for a while and pretty much just cant make up my mind. Ive been interested in a twin for a little while. Test drove both the ST cars and they didn't do anything for me. Trying to find a dealer near me that I can test drive an frs/brz.

Currently in a heavily modded civic. The aftermarket support for these cars is pretty attractive compared to what's been available for the civics lately.

Well ill try not to ask too many nooby questions. See you around.
Welcome ......

Yep, you pretty much have to go drive one.

What you see, and how it drives, is what you get.

If it "fits" you ..... consider driving one home .....

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (05-13-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #6072
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welcome ......

Yep, you pretty much have to go drive one.

What you see, and how it drives, is what you get.

If it "fits" you ..... consider driving one home .....

humfrz

I agree with this guy However, you may get BRZ/FRS/Miata syndrome and want to buy it on the spot.

I was also looking at the Fiesta ST. Performance wise, seems fun. Appearance wise, deal breaker. Not too fond of hot-hatches.
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Shourewaters (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #6073
my67falcon

Drives: 1995 Trans Am 'vert/2011 Fx2 F150
I really like the looks of the ST but one of the reason that I hate the wifes MkX is the torque steer and I imaging the ST suffers well from it.

my67falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #6074
wickedfrsgrl

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
I bought my FR-S after drooling over them for a couple of years. I used to have a focus hatch. I know not the ST. I went through two clutches in my transmission and a "battery" issue. After the 2nd clutch fix I got it back from Ford and traded it in for my FR-S and I've never looked back. Love the FR-S.......even with my first ever speeding ticket under my belt. Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wickedfrsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wickedfrsgrl For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #6075
Phenix8913

Drives: It runs
Hey everyone,

I come from the evo x community and am looking to trade the evo and my irrelevant CX-5 in for a a new car. The current favorite is an FRS. Although I would love an RX-7, I can't reliably expect it to be a good DD starting off. Currently, my evo is on it's way back to stock (have or am waiting on about 85% of the parts).

This would be my first manual & RWD, so I am thinking it should be an interesting experience.
Phenix8913 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phenix8913 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #6076
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix8913 View Post
Hey everyone,

I come from the evo x community and am looking to trade the evo and my irrelevant CX-5 in for a a new car. The current favorite is an FRS. Although I would love an RX-7, I can't reliably expect it to be a good DD starting off. Currently, my evo is on it's way back to stock (have or am waiting on about 85% of the parts).

This would be my first manual & RWD, so I am thinking it should be an interesting experience.
It will be!
And don't let anybody say you will miss the power of the Evo. The power is less but the fun factor for a DD goes through the roof (and you will save a pile of money on gas).

Tags
6mt, bot. report?, frs, notreally, turbo