follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
Don_SA

Drives: Miata, Focus SE Sport, BMW 528i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2015 BRZHead Unit, standard HIDs

Newbie here, thinking of getting one of the twins when my BMW lease is up.

Did Subaru change the head unit for the 2015 model year, or even last year? I know everyone hated the original nav/entertainment system and the pictures I saw for 2015 looked slightly different.

It also looks like HIDs are standard on the BRZ, but not available on the FR-S. makes me wonder why people buy the FR-S at all?
Don_SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Wilsonk227

Drives: Super Vehicular Terrain Vehicle
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_SA View Post
Newbie here, thinking of getting one of the twins when my BMW lease is up.

Did Subaru change the head unit for the 2015 model year, or even last year? I know everyone hated the original nav/entertainment system and the pictures I saw for 2015 looked slightly different.

It also looks like HIDs are standard on the BRZ, but not available on the FR-S. makes me wonder why people buy the FR-S at all?
If I'm correct it did not change for this year.

The HIDs are standard on the BRZ. And people buy the FRS because they like the way it looks. No harm in that, to each their own.

Wilsonk227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
HID's aren't deal makers for some people. though, you could always get the BRZ headlights on an FRS with some repinning.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
BRZ HU is the same. I think it is the FRS one that has some different conections in the back or something. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1955179

Some people prefer the FRS because front looks a bit more agressive or just beacuse of the lower entry price.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Rota

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aozora.BRZ View Post
I think it is the FRS one that has some different conections in the back or something.
FR-S one is not the same in 2015. It has a different interface and the touch screen is MUCH more responsive.
Rota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The best thing about not having any audio control buttons on the wheel is you can replace the stereo, with any aftermarket double din you like, and not loose any functionality. I did that and added a reversing camera, amp and speakers to sweeten the deal. Just keep the original head unit for an easy swap back in, if you want to return to stock, the most expensive element of the install.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
The stock HU isn't bad, unless you want to use the nav. FR-S comes with HID's if it's one of their special editions (Monogram, Release Series...)

BRZ has a higher MSRP, but you can haggle on price while you can't on the FR-S (though you can haggle on the addons on the FR-S). They also make more of the FR-S.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
DGM86

Drives: 15 BRZ, 07 Tacoma TRD, 01 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
The stock HU isn't bad, unless you want to use the nav. FR-S comes with HID's if it's one of their special editions (Monogram, Release Series...)

BRZ has a higher MSRP, but you can haggle on price while you can't on the FR-S (though you can haggle on the addons on the FR-S). They also make more of the FR-S.
The stock HU isn't bad... Its terrible. I guess its really just the ergonomics... it comes with a lack of physical buttons and no steering wheel controls. You need to tap a tiny unresponsive virtual button to do anything with it. If the HU wasn't so close, being a small car, it would be unbearable. Its still incredibly annoying IMO. The Aha app is pretty shitty too

Everything else you said is spot on though
DGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:12 PM   #9
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yup, the headunit is literally the worst stereo interface I've ever used, on any car. It is also the worst sounding stock radio I've ever had. And all of my cars have been from the 80's. My dd in high school, a 98 dodge neon had a better stereo STOCK. I'm not exaggerating. I've heard the oem audio + is a good upgrade! but I'd like it if it worked with the cafi dashlink head units. I'll have to research it.

I like the tach and radio better on the frs. I think it sounded better. Maybe it has a more powerful amp or something, because it did sound better as far as I remember, but idk, other than that I'm glad I went BRZ.
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:56 AM   #10
ryoma

the stereo sounds fine for me. have you used the equalizer?
Old 05-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #11
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM86 View Post
The stock HU isn't bad... Its terrible. I guess its really just the ergonomics... it comes with a lack of physical buttons and no steering wheel controls. You need to tap a tiny unresponsive virtual button to do anything with it. If the HU wasn't so close, being a small car, it would be unbearable. Its still incredibly annoying IMO. The Aha app is pretty shitty too

Everything else you said is spot on though
I don't hop around stations that much so it's not that bad for me. You can also use voice commands to do a lot of functions as well. Could be worse, been in cars where the damn volume was on the touch screen (who the hell thought it was a good idea to use touch screens in cars in the first place?)

Aha app is pretty crap, but that's not really the fault of the headunit, it's just a crappy phone app and integration tool in general.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #12
ryoma

the only thing I don't like about the head unit is that the volume knob is too smooth. I would like it to have clicks so I know how much I am turning the volume up by. when I use my right hand to turn the knob, my hand covers the volume overlay on the screen so I don't know what volume it is at unless I raise my hand and turn the knob from below my hand, which is awkward to do.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
no reason to turn it up or down till it sounds good or comfortable, takes no looks FTW. but those little buttons switching stations or inputs is a less than optimal solution.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote