follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #15
Wilsonk227

Drives: Super Vehicular Terrain Vehicle
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM86 View Post
How often is often? Could it be a buildup of wax? Waxing is essentially just another protective layer on top of the clear coat... would make sense that you can overdo it.
i did it once a month D: about 2 months ago I did it twice in 2 weeks because it rained and I washed my car again. What happens if I over did it? D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yep! This is possible as well. The pic just isn't clear enough to tell.
did not know overwaxing could cause an issue

Wilsonk227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonk227 View Post
i did it once a month D: about 2 months ago I did it twice in 2 weeks because it rained and I washed my car again. What happens if I over did it? D:

did not know overwaxing could cause an issue
It can but from your statement there that is not over doing it so not likely. Back to the clear oat theory I guess.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #17
DGM86

Drives: 15 BRZ, 07 Tacoma TRD, 01 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It can but from your statement there that is not over doing it so not likely. Back to the clear oat theory I guess.
I am not so sure, once a month sounds like a lot to me. Depends how much you drive I suppose. However, I would assume the problem would present itself other places if this were the case. Perhaps you forgot to buff or smooth out that area?

Quote:
What happens if I over did it? D:
Nothing damaging. I would suspect during warm days that excess layers of wax would be pushed backward by wind speeds on the highway, which looks to be somewhat supported by your picture. Can't be sure, but that's what id put my money on.

Honestly, I just do not see a way it could be a clear coat problem if it wasn't a defect from the factory and the OP has stated this is a relatively new occurrence. Leads me to believe its a wax issue. Do you use a spray on wax?
DGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #18
Tcoat

Quote:
I am not so sure, once a month sounds like a lot to me. Depends how much you drive I suppose. However, I would assume the problem would present itself other places if this were the case. Perhaps you forgot to buff or smooth out that area?

Nothing damaging. I would suspect during warm days that excess layers of wax would be pushed backward by wind speeds on the highway, which looks to be somewhat supported by your picture. Can't be sure, but that's what id put my money on.

Honestly, I just do not see a way it could be a clear coat problem if it wasn't a defect from the factory and the OP has stated this is a relatively new occurrence. Leads me to believe its a wax issue. Do you use a spray on wax?
I have waxed as much as once a week! The FRS gets a light coat every two weeks through the summer.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #19
DGM86

Garage
Quote:
I have waxed as much as once a week! The FRS gets a light coat every two weeks through the summer.
What do you use for wax? What buffing methods do you use? Might be different than the OP.

On a side note; once per week?!? That's crazy. You should never wax your car more than you get laid, that's what I always say.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
What do you use for wax? What buffing methods do you use? Might be different than the OP.

On a side note; once per week?!? That's crazy. You should never wax your car more than you get laid, that's what I always say.
I want to wax my car more than twice a year!
Yes, wax, methods, environment, and so on all have a huge impact. Once a month should not give issues like he is seeing no matter what though.
DGM33 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
DGM86

Garage
Quote:
Once a month should not give issues like he is seeing no matter what though.
Eh. I could see a spray on wax with a high enough viscosity causing the problem the OP has if applied too liberally or too often in a hot environment. He does live in Southern California.

OP: have you tried to buff it out? I mean really scrub that sucker
Old 04-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #22
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I want to say that water can sit right there and leave a ring like that, but I'm not positive.

Really need macro pics of it to really tell what's going on.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #23
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Okay I suggest getting a bucket of water, put a few drops of dishwasher in it, then take a microfiber sponge and dip it, squeeze out the water and then run it thru the area to strip the wax, and then see if that anomaly still exists on the surface.

If you are waxing this much, then you are not using a good quality wax or synthetic sealant that would last. In between waxes you can just use a detailer.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #24
Wilsonk227

Quote:
i don't know how the clear coat can cause little spots though don't see what could cause the damage

Quote:

I always double check areas after waxing in case i missed it but never found this spot like this.

I use carnauba wax and apply it on an applicator.

Quote:

OP: have you tried to buff it out? I mean really scrub that sucker
I haven't really tried that yet. I tried scratching the edge of the thing and it feels like there's a hard crusty layer that I'm scratching at. Don't want to really do hardcore stuff yet lol don't want to damage anything if it is already damaged xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Okay I suggest getting a bucket of water, put a few drops of dishwasher in it, then take a microfiber sponge and dip it, squeeze out the water and then run it thru the area to strip the wax, and then see if that anomaly still exists on the surface.

If you are waxing this much, then you are not using a good quality wax or synthetic sealant that would last. In between waxes you can just use a detailer.
I went to Chemical Guys for their wax, that's what people recommended me at least so I'm not sure what good quality wax might be. I never used synthetic sealant though.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
i don't know how the clear coat can cause little spots though don't see what could cause the damage

Bad clear coat can cause big spots, little spots and all kinds of weird spots. Ask many late 90s Eclipse owners what their thoughts on bad clear coat are.

Wilsonk227 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
Wilsonk227

Quote:
Bad clear coat can cause big spots, little spots and all kinds of weird spots. Ask many late 90s Eclipse owners what their thoughts on bad clear coat are.

LOL that's what I'm hoping will not happen! If anything I might just replace the spoiler and get a duck lip anyways xD I like the look better

Old 04-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:
LOL that's what I'm hoping will not happen! If anything I might just replace the spoiler and get a duck lip anyways xD I like the look better
If it did you would be the first I have heard about. Like I said before the spoilers are not painted on the car so there may have been an issue with it. I would still take it in and see what the dealer has to say about it.
Wilsonk227 (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #28
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wonder if something was placed on top of the spoiler at one point without you knowing it.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz