follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #1891
dinoniel

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
Most mics are mono, and you're using a stereo cable. You said aux? What's at the other end of it?
Thanks for your reply. I'm using a 3.5mm jack like option #2 on the tutorial I linked to. That way I can connect a different mic if I'm not happy with my cheap ebay one. I ended up doing only red/black and ignoring the blue and it worked out ok. Pretty scary for me since I never soldered before. I inquired to Will about adding this when I ordered but he said the production line was too busy to accommodate (prob due to the sale).

For those considering this unit my overall review of the built-in internal mic is that it works fine at low speeds (comparable to brz OEM mic) but on the highway no one could hear me. My $4 ebay mic unfortunately isn't much better unless I hold the mic close to me which isn't ideal since I want to mount the external mic somewhere more discrete.

Going to start looking for a more expensive and better quality external mic. If anyone has any suggestions please chime in.
dinoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #1892
ringo16

Drives: 15 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I am interested in upgrading my headunit to the Dashlinq4.

I am confused about the GPS capabilities. I know the there is a GPS module inside the system, but does that mean that I still need internet data to run Google Maps?
Or am I going to have to download some type of GPS app from the Google Play Store that preloads the maps over wifi and uses the GPS module to pin point where my location is.
ringo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #1893
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo16 View Post

I am confused about the GPS capabilities. I know the there is a GPS module inside the system, but does that mean that I still need internet data to run Google Maps?
Or am I going to have to download some type of GPS app from the Google Play Store that preloads the maps over wifi and uses the GPS module to pin point where my location is.
You can go either route. There are some apps that come preloaded with maps and you'll never need a wifi connection (except for the initial install or for updates). Most of these aren't free but there are some out there.

Personally, I tried this method and didn't really like the free options. I now use my phone as a wifi hotspot and use Waze for nav. I used Google Maps but it crashed a lot while on the road. Almost made me go over a toll bridge :| The data usage is insignificant in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 PM   #1894
AzureShadow

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Quote:

You can either use your phone as a mobile hotspot and use it's data, or you could use something like Here maps which allows you to download maps on wifi for free (and their maps tend to be on par with google maps). The entire USA takes up about 7GB of space I think.
AzureShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzureShadow For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (05-20-2015), Pwolf (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 12:35 AM   #1895
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah, to clarify, the GPS module only gives the unit its latitude and longitude coordinates at any given time. It takes a program (in this case, an appropriate Android app) to load map files and convert those coordinates into a location on the map, as well as finding routes between two points on the map.

For this unit, if you have a mobile hotspot of any sort, I recommend Waze. It loads maps off the internet as it needs them, but it stores them locally for future use, so for areas you visit a lot, you'll only need to re-download map chunks when they've been updated for new roads and whatnot.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverlightPony For This Useful Post:
Pwolf (04-25-2015), ringo16 (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #1896
ringo16

Drives: 15 Asphalt FRS
Quote:
Yeah, to clarify, the GPS module only gives the unit its latitude and longitude coordinates at any given time. It takes a program (in this case, an appropriate Android app) to load map files and convert those coordinates into a location on the map, as well as finding routes between two points on the map.

For this unit, if you have a mobile hotspot of any sort, I recommend Waze. It loads maps off the internet as it needs them, but it stores them locally for future use, so for areas you visit a lot, you'll only need to re-download map chunks when they've been updated for new roads and whatnot.
Thanks!
ringo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #1897
Tareim

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I've recently just picked up a dashlinq 4, can anyone tell me how I can disable the warning that stops you from watching videos on the move? the last double din I had just had a wire that I just put on a ground source and it worked, though I didn't see anything like that on this one
Tareim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #1898
XtremeMaC

Drives: Asphalt Grey FR-S
I'm looking into buying this as well finally.
I have a separate question. Do these have the same functionality?
http://ca-fi.com/store/index.php?rou...product_id=321 Bluetooth Mini ODB Interface $19.90
http://ca-fi.com/store/index.php?rou...product_id=148 Bluetooth OBD II Interface $29.90

Both are OBD II capable. I don't get why anyone would prefer the bigger one if they do the same thing. I guess they don't do the same, but nothing is really written on the website. anyone have a clue?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #1899
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeMaC View Post
I'm looking into buying this as well finally.
I have a separate question. Do these have the same functionality?
http://ca-fi.com/store/index.php?rou...product_id=321 Bluetooth Mini ODB Interface $19.90
http://ca-fi.com/store/index.php?rou...product_id=148 Bluetooth OBD II Interface $29.90

Both are OBD II capable. I don't get why anyone would prefer the bigger one if they do the same thing. I guess they don't do the same, but nothing is really written on the website. anyone have a clue?
I think mini is relatively new. I don't remember seeing it back when I got my dashlinq4. Not sure why the have the older one still.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #1900
luigitalarico

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Just to clarify, (I skimmed through this thread quite a bit and it didn't jump out at me), will this head unit utilize the OEM USB port with the same functionality as the OEM head unit? For example, I use an iPod classic for music, and I love the way I can genuinely browse my iPod through the head unit. Would the functionality be the same for the Ca-Fi? This is essentially the selling point for me, and I love being able to use the dial to scroll through my 15,000+ songs, lol.

Thanks guys!
luigitalarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #1901
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigitalarico View Post
Just to clarify, (I skimmed through this thread quite a bit and it didn't jump out at me), will this head unit utilize the OEM USB port with the same functionality as the OEM head unit? For example, I use an iPod classic for music, and I love the way I can genuinely browse my iPod through the head unit. Would the functionality be the same for the Ca-Fi? This is essentially the selling point for me, and I love being able to use the dial to scroll through my 15,000+ songs, lol.

Thanks guys!
You'll need an adapter (sold separately; check toward the beginning of the thread for an Amazon link) to get the OEM USB port working with this head unit. Once you have that hooked up correctly, the HU should be able to read it just like a PC can, and any media player app that can read external storage should be able to play from it directly.

I'm not an ipod kinda person, though, so I can't say for sure.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #1902
luigitalarico

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Quote:
You'll need an adapter (sold separately; check toward the beginning of the thread for an Amazon link) to get the OEM USB port working with this head unit. Once you have that hooked up correctly, the HU should be able to read it just like a PC can, and any media player app that can read external storage should be able to play from it directly.

I'm not an ipod kinda person, though, so I can't say for sure.

Alright sweet, thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
luigitalarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #1903
brzsubarusti13

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I really want to buy this stereo but im hesitant because its been over a year since its been released and would hate for a dashlinq5 to be released soon after. Anybody know when dashlinq3 was released so we had ideal timeframe? Even though the installation might be easy as some people stated i still think the first post should be updated properly to include FAQ and possibly links to additional parts we may need or want because no one wants to go through 90 pages.
brzsubarusti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #1904
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Has anyone installed the dashcam successfully yet?

I just got mine this morning. Installation was a piece of cake in terms of hardware. The software part not so much. First of all, it's ridiculous that it wipes the onboard data/settings with a firmware update, and secondly the dashcam app does not see any available storage both with onboard or SD card. It says there isn't a SD card inserted when there is.

Any ideas?