follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #953
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
Has Diode Dynamics published anything describing how their kit should function relative to each position on the light switch? The installation video, while a great tool for installing, does not make this clear.

This is what I would like to know.

Boomerang & DRL behavior with both jumpers in the On position...

1.) Engine On, switch in position 0 (off) parking brake engaged = ?
Engine On, switch in position 0 (off) parking brake released = ?
2.) Engine On, switch in position 1 (auto) = ?
3.) Engine On, switch in position 2 (parking lights) = ?
4.) Engine On, switch in position 3 (lights on manual) = ?

Having this information would at least let me know what to expect.

Mine are as follows with jumpers in their default positions from DD

1. All Lights Off w/e-brake engaged & Boomerangs & DRL On when released
2. Boomerangs + DRL + Lights All On
3. Boomerangs + DRL On
4. Boomerangs + DRL + Lights All On
Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #954
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz View Post
Mine are as follows with jumpers in their default positions from DD

1. All Lights Off w/e-brake engaged & Boomerangs & DRL On when released
2. Boomerangs + DRL + Lights All On
3. Boomerangs + DRL On
4. Boomerangs + DRL + Lights All On
Yeah, that's the way I thought it should operate. I get absolutely no lighting when I release the parking brake (engine running) and the switch in the off position.
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #955
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I contacted a rep on Facebook and will be helping them confirm the issue. They're really backed up with orders right now apparently, which is understandable. They were dismissing the issue over the phone from poor explanations of what the actual issue is.

I'll post back with updates once we figure something out.
BRZoomTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #956
exfortuna

Drives: 14 BRZ, 93 Cherokee, 94 Ninja 250R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ron] View Post
I contacted a rep on Facebook and will be helping them confirm the issue. They're really backed up with orders right now apparently, which is understandable. They were dismissing the issue over the phone from poor explanations of what the actual issue is.

I'll post back with updates once we figure something out.
I could not have possibly been more descriptive. I even referenced the responses Diode Dynamics has given in this forum. When I mentioned the relay, the rep I communicated with dismissed that this could be an issue because they have an "insignificant" failure rate. From reading through these threads this is clearly not the case.
exfortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #957
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfortuna View Post
I could not have possibly been more descriptive. I even referenced the responses Diode Dynamics has given in this forum. When I mentioned the relay, the rep I communicated with dismissed that this could be an issue because they have an "insignificant" failure rate. From reading through these threads this is clearly not the case.
Not too sure man. In any case, uploading a pretty good video showing the issue as we speak. Once they realize the actual problem, they should be able to find out what is causing the failure, or issue warranty replacements for those of us seeing the issue.

I can see their side of things were most people are confused with how the DRLs work in general.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #958
Agent 86

Quote:
Not too sure man. In any case, uploading a pretty good video showing the issue as we speak. Once they realize the actual problem, they should be able to find out what is causing the failure, or issue warranty replacements for those of us seeing the issue.

I can see their side of things were most people are confused with how the DRLs work in general.
Is that the DD Facebook page? If not, please share as I'd like to follow. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #959
Agent 86

BTW, I have purchased a few items from DD in the past and have been a satisfied customer. This experience has not changed my opinion of their excellent products, service and support.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #960
BRZoomTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
Is that the DD Facebook page? If not, please share as I'd like to follow. Thanks for your efforts.
Its not; I messaged someone directly who posts in one of the BRZ/FRS groups. I've already sent the video and will post an update here as soon as I hear back from him.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #961
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

We are doing our best to make sure everyone is taken care of. If you notice any issues (like the ones you described), please call us: (314) 205-3033 or send us an email: contact@diodedynamics.com

We will help you troubleshoot and provide replacements if needed.

Just to clear things up, if your parking brake is engaged, your DRLs will not come on, regardless of the module.

The Always-On™ relay takes the factory signal and sends it to both the boomerangs and DRLs. If one of them is not coming on with the kit installed properly, then please give us a call.

We appreciate everyone's support and patience.

Thanks,
Nick C.

Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 03-19-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
BRZoomTX (03-18-2015), Mark@S (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #962
Mark@S

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ - DGM 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mine have been working great! Good to see you guys providing great support for everyone.
Mark@S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark@S For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 12:14 AM   #963
Blue-Sensei

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ LTD Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Finally got the replacement module, installed, seems to be working correctly now!
Blue-Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue-Sensei For This Useful Post:
BRZoomTX (03-20-2015), Diode Dynamics (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #964
kakarot1657

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (Galaxy Blue)
Ordered mine on March 16th and waiting patiently for it to ship out
Old 03-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #965
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Diode Dynamics needs to address this problem for us. I still have no reply to my email and another user is claiming they said this is normal. This is clearly not normal because replacing the relay makes the DRLs work again. Either we were all sent faulty relays or something else on our cars is creating a common issue.
Just to be clear, this is not a common issue. Nearly all customers are seeing perfect operation upon initial installation. You can see that another forum member above who initially reported this ended up having a loose connection in their ebrake.

We are checking all relays before shipment now. We are testing all modules. It is extremely unlikely that anything is arriving DOA.

All emails are replied to within 24 hours, usually much faster. You can please feel free to call anytime during business hours, if you'd like to discuss your issue immediately. It's likely that we will send a replacement to resolve the issue you're experiencing.

I understand that it's frustrating that our representatives are hesitant to ship replacements. Unfortunately, we did not anticipate so much confusion over when DRLs actually come on. Replacement does not fix that problem, so we're currently focused on ensuring each customer fully understands how the module is supposed to work.

We're now shipping with large, clear notes in the instructions, regarding when the DRLs come on.

Thanks,
Paul
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
BRZoomTX (03-20-2015), JPxM0Dz (03-19-2015), kakarot1657 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #966
Cheeseballs

Drives: Really slow
Quote:
We are all having the same problem. DRLs are not coming on with the car running and the headlight switch in the OFF position.

What is even more weird is my DRLs started working today. Driving through town, I stopped in a parking lot and just turned off my headlights to make a call real quick. There was still light in front of my car, so I got out and looked and both the DRLs and boomerangs were on with the headlight switch in the OFF position. I get home and test this again, turn the headlight switch to OFF, nothing is on again.

Diode Dynamics needs to address this problem for us. I still have no reply to my email and another user is claiming they said this is normal. This is clearly not normal because replacing the relay makes the DRLs work again. Either we were all sent faulty relays or something else on our cars is creating a common issue.

This is very clearly an issue with the Diode Dynamics relay. With the car running, nothing else changed, I can swap in the factory relay and the relay clicks with DRLs immediately coming on. Putting the Diode Dynamics relay back in, DRLs do not work. Once again nothing other than the relay is being changed. Doors are closed, headlight switch is OFF, car doesn't move an inch.

Not true. With the factory relay, e-brake down on the manual transmission and the car running, DRLs immediately come on with the headlight switch in the OFF position.

However even with AUTO during the day, DRLs do not come on like they do with the factory relay. They do not work unless the headlight switch is set to the parking lights or is in the ON position. DD states this kit does not affect factory DRL functionality, so this by their own advertising is a problem.
I sent emails and an RMA request stating the exact same problem and the steps I took installing and troubleshooting. They told me to drive the car around and see if it works and then proceeded to inexplicably close my RMA saying it was resolved without any response from me. The follow up email I sent days ago asking for explanation hasn't been responded to either. Simply unreal.

And yes, I know when the DRL's are supposed to come on. When switching out the factory fuse with the Diode Dynamics fuse turns off the DRL with the stalk in the off position, it's not user error. It's a faulty product. I tested it with the car running and e-brake down. Switch back to the factory fuse and the car running and the DRL's turn on immediately, but of course it must be user error right?

At least Paypal and American Express will have my back.

Last edited by Cheeseballs; 03-20-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Cheeseballs is offline   Reply With Quote