follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
PMPB

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Low Profile Jack?

Now that the Michelin 2-Ton Low profile jack has been discontinued at CT, I need a new idea for which jack to buy. I like changing my own tires, and I plan to do more work on this car than in the past. Any recommendations?

For the moment, my car is completely stock, but I imagine most jacks still have trouble reaching the jacking points. Please make recommendations assuming that I'll be up to 15mm lower in the future if I decide to get STi or TRD springs. Thanks!
PMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
While I decide what jack to buy, I've been using the scissor jack, then using that to lift the car enough to get my normal jack under the car. I'm lowered by about 1.5" all around. Check out princess auto, I think they have the widest selection
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,640 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I drive up to two planks in my garage, each in front of each wheel. They are stacked 2 high, busted pieces of drawers from an old Ikea dresser my wife had. Each has a rubber floor mat over them to allow me to drive up them like steps in a ramp like manner. Now with the front 1.5" higher, my garage jack rolls under the front to the support beam. The back is easy, just lift from the pumpkin.

If lowered you would need to drive up maybe 3 or 4 boards. The floor mat on top keeps it all together when driving up.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
AlexWood

Drives:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Harbor Freight has a good selection for cheep. Bought one for about $80 a few years ago and haven't had an issue since. I'm lowered about 2.5in and it fits no problem
AlexWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
what everyone else said.

use your scissor jack to get a normal jack under the car. and/or drive up a block or two of wood. if you need a new jack, love the low-pro harbor freight jack
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
PMPB

With the weak Canadian dollar, and the fact that I'm getting hit with every possible tax/duty/brokerage/feesthativeneverheardof lately, I've sworn off online shopping from US stores for a while. Hence the reason this is posted in the Canada section.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPB View Post
With the weak Canadian dollar, and the fact that I'm getting hit with every possible tax/duty/brokerage/feesthativeneverheardof lately, I've sworn off online shopping from US stores for a while. Hence the reason this is posted in the Canada section.
Or you know, ignore that 2 Canadians posted in this thread...
Old 03-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Canadian Tire now has the same jack (at least it looks like it) as the Michelin one, but under a different name.

Pretty sure this is mechanically the same:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/2-...l#.VQhameFtqHs

Alternatively, they also have this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/st...l#.VQhayeFtqHs

or this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...l#.VQhaquFtqHs
Old 03-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
PMPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
Or you know, ignore that 2 Canadians posted in this thread...
Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you. I don't have an existing hydraulic jack, so the methods mentioned seem somewhat redundant given that I'd have to buy a jack that isn't quite right, just to use a method that is more tedious that getting the right tool of the job in the first place.

Seriously, I didn't mean to be ignorant, but thank you for your input.

I've used the scissor jack on the side jacking points in the past, I found that a good amount of the OEM underbody corrosion protection stuff stuck to the jack, and that made me sad.

@wparsons. You're right, upon closer inspection, the STP super long does look mechanically identical. I'm guessing with the 1,000 custom limited edition, it'll never go on 70% sale like the original michelin I have a feeling that the other two will not reach the front jacking point.

I guess I'll just have to bite the $280 bullet.u
Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have the 2.5 ton Mastercraft jack.
No problems with it. I'm not lowered yet but worst case is I'll need to drive up onto 2x4s
Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you. I don't have an existing hydraulic jack, so the methods mentioned seem somewhat redundant given that I'd have to buy a jack that isn't quite right, just to use a method that is more tedious that getting the right tool of the job in the first place.

Seriously, I didn't mean to be ignorant, but thank you for your input.

I've used the scissor jack on the side jacking points in the past, I found that a good amount of the OEM underbody corrosion protection stuff stuck to the jack, and that made me sad.

@wparsons. You're right, upon closer inspection, the STP super long does look mechanically identical. I'm guessing with the 1,000 custom limited edition, it'll never go on 70% sale like the original michelin I have a feeling that the other two will not reach the front jacking point.

I guess I'll just have to bite the $280 bullet.u
I grabbed a moto master low pro jack today. They MAY be discontinued. But its very similar to the Michelin and STP jacks. It was 200, just used it while I put my new exhaust on and it worked perfectly for me.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
PMPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
I grabbed a moto master low pro jack today. They MAY be discontinued. But its very similar to the Michelin and STP jacks. It was 200, just used it while I put my new exhaust on and it worked perfectly for me.
I'll have to take a look at that one. Have you tried it at the front? Which jack stands do you have?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #13
Bergen23
Banned

Quote:
I'll have to take a look at that one. Have you tried it at the front? Which jack stands do you have?
Haven't tried at the front yet, but I'm quite sure it'll work. The jack stands I'm using are old beat up ones my dad has (probably from the 80's)
Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 PM   #14
Ferrari

Drives: Taking the bus
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Costco sells a low profile jack. That's where I got mine, and it fits under the BRZ with no issues. It was $120 or $130 if I remember correctly.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote