follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #29
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Im just saying, dont turn a blind eye towards the faults of the FR-S. How long will that experience last? After the hype dies down? After DD the car for a couple of months?
Ask Miata drivers, especially the NA and NB owners. Those cars are dog-slow by today's standards, but arguably more fun than any hot hatch on the road today. For some, the feeling never dies.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #30
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Haha, this is proof the 86/FR-S is better than the BRZ! BRZ can suck it! Hahahahahaha! (How's that?)

But seriously, it is interesting to hear the difference in suspension. I would really like to drive both a while to compare. They say the 86 has noticeably more roll in front and isn't quite as stable which I probably won't like. But at the same time they say it's more steady when controlling and recovering a slide with perhaps a more traditional/natural balance which I do want.

And also the 86 seems to be ever so slightly faster at the limit if you are able to balance the understeer and oversteer well enough which would be a fun challenge. While the BRZ seems to go into understeer right before the limits to keep you steady.

So because of the chassis, this appears to be a car that responds very positively to minor suspension changes. Which would make buying a good set of coilovers probably worth it. It would be fun and interesting to fine tune the suspension to exactly how you want and to be able to clearly feel those differences.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #31
IntenseDVDA

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
I would also vastly prefer a manual gt86 over an auto brz.
Right there with you.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
cossey

Drives: Reanult Megane R26
Part of the "low rent interior" comments is down the the price, the UK car is expensive compared to the European rivals especially the new BMW M135i, which whilst being a hatchback, offers a 320bhp engine in a rear wheel drive chassis with a nice interior and with equivalent spec is ~£2000 more.
cossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #33
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
Manual > Auto

Yes we know.

This has gone back and forth plenty... The cars are essentially the same.

Randy Pobst was 1 sec faster around Streets of Willow in the BRZ compared to the FRS, while in some test in Japan the 86 was faster around the track.

The only thing different is a slightly softer front spring in the 86/FRS and supposedly different valving in the shocks. I cannot imaging one being superior to the other under all conditions. Some situations, and some drivers might prefer one vs the other, while many wont even notice the difference.

If you want to tweak the cars handling, get some adjustable dampers and change the spring rates...

Where is that dead horse smilie
If you watch the frs review hes kinda playing around drifting it... Lol explains a slower lap time slower=funner rediculously fast = dead

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #34
StuttterButtter
Yes i have a stutter

Drives: 94 Acura Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Haha, this is proof the 86/FR-S is better than the BRZ! BRZ can suck it! Hahahahahaha! (How's that?)

But seriously, it is interesting to hear the difference in suspension. I would really like to drive both a while to compare. They say the 86 has noticeably more roll in front and isn't quite as stable which I probably won't like. But at the same time they say it's more steady when controlling and recovering a slide with perhaps a more traditional/natural balance which I do want.

And also the 86 seems to be ever so slightly faster at the limit if you are able to balance the understeer and oversteer well enough which would be a fun challenge. While the BRZ seems to go into understeer right before the limits to keep you steady.

So because of the chassis, this appears to be a car that responds very positively to minor suspension changes. Which would make buying a good set of coilovers probably worth it. It would be fun and interesting to fine tune the suspension to exactly how you want and to be able to clearly feel those differences.
This makes me want the RS-R coilovers Moto has even more now!
StuttterButtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #35
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
For those planning on tracking their car and putting coilovers, there is no difference between them.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:
DommerEOD (05-19-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #36
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
Quote:
.... You know I understand where you are coming from. I truly do. I am in no way trying to troll or get on the bad side of anyone.

But am I truly beating a dead horse? The FR-S is more than just an "experience." Its supposed to handle as well. Albeit with driver connection. Yet a Mini S will "murder it." Mini S are fun as crap to drive.

There are people on here expecting this thing to at least keep up with other cars. The only car I have seen it actually beat is the Miata. Which, Miatas are fun as crap to drive as well.

Im just saying, dont turn a blind eye towards the faults of the FR-S. How long will that experience last? After the hype dies down? After DD the car for a couple of months?

This is the affordable sports car with RWD. Yet the Genesis is another viable option with pretty close to the same price tag even though its heavier and SUPPOSEDLY less engaging. Remember, looks and feel are subjective.

Its always something to think about. Its just taboo to bring it up here. In the end its just opinions mixed in with a little bit of facts. Opinions seem to be what will sell this car. Fact seems to be what will make some turn away which is fine. More cars for those that want it.

This will truly be an enthusiasts car if it cant compete with other cars regardless of the "experience." Not that I am the least bit upset about it.

The whole point with the 86 IMO is that you are buying it on it's merits and not other cars's.

Sure we can compare and contrast but ultimately it's just you and the car.

And that "experience" is a big part of this car. The connectedness that other drivers and reviews espouse, because not many other cars have this.

Proper pedal position, a positive switchgear, decent steering feedback, low seating position all add up to this experience. And these aren't as subjective as you make them out to be.

Things like sound and looks are more subjective, and personally think both are great.

The downside of the car is not that it's low on power; it's that its other great qualities; like the shifter, might not be appreciated as much as they should be comparatively.

So when EVO comes along and says, the 86/BRZ isn't what's its cracked up to be, I could care less.

And about the Mini S being more fun, I don't know about that. Granted I had an auto, but it had problems. That's a big factor that NEVER plays into a car review. BMWs and cars like the Mini always get high marks, but when it comes down to it will you own it for more than 5 years?
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #37
Staticfrost
Banned

Drives: Eight Six
Garage
Wow this guy needs to be fired!!!! He complains about the auto... and still thinks the brz is crap... get a manual brz and do the same fucke test... (also I'm an 8* fan boy). But this noob journo is very annoying.

Everyone would love more HP but that might effect the great driving dynamic
Staticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #38
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines13 View Post
I'm sorry but this is one hell of a blanket statement. There are so many variables here that it is not even funny.
The WRX may beat up the FR-S in a straight line, but not on the track. I am ready to prove it if you are.

Same thing with the Mini cooper S. Actually I would say the FR-S will cream up the Cooper S in all respects.

And I am talking purely stock cars, no mods.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #39
tripjammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
The whole point with the 86 IMO is that you are buying it on it's merits and not other cars's.

Sure we can compare and contrast but ultimately it's just you and the car.

And that "experience" is a big part of this car. The connectedness that other drivers and reviews espouse, because not many other cars have this.

Proper pedal position, a positive switchgear, decent steering feedback, low seating position all add up to this experience. And these aren't as subjective as you make them out to be.

Things like sound and looks are more subjective, and personally think both are great.

The downside of the car is not that it's low on power; it's that its other great qualities; like the shifter, might not be appreciated as much as they should be comparatively.

So when EVO comes along and says, the 86/BRZ isn't what's its cracked up to be, I could care less.

And about the Mini S being more fun, I don't know about that. Granted I had an auto, but it had problems. That's a big factor that NEVER plays into a car review. BMWs and cars like the Mini always get high marks, but when it comes down to it will you own it for more than 5 years?
Mini Coopers are very unreliable! Plus they are ugly and not cool like the FR-S\BRZ\86. Plus it's still FWD...

But the Cooper S is probably one of the best FWD cars out there. So I can't hate on it.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
The WRX may beat up the FR-S in a straight line, but not on the track. I am ready to prove it if you are.

Same thing with the Mini cooper S. Actually I would say the FR-S will cream up the Cooper S in all respects.

And I am talking purely stock cars, no mods.
I do not own a WRX, but if you have a 2012 WRX to loan me...
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #41
MotoChris98

Drives: 13 Mustang Boss, 02 Miata, 07 ZX10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Ask Miata drivers, especially the NA and NB owners. Those cars are dog-slow by today's standards, but arguably more fun than any hot hatch on the road today. For some, the feeling never dies.
Exactly. In my opinion, sheer performance on paper starts to get old as you get desensitized and used to it, it's the "fun" of driving and the intangibles of the car that stick and continue to really give joy to the driver. I have more fun driving my Miata than any of my previous cars.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #42
tripjammer

Garage
Quote:
I wouldn't put the Mini out of its misery just yet.

I would...its dead...