follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2015, 03:07 AM   #85
jaime3

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
FRS is life
jaime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #86
beatgenie

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't care whether I buy a car that's 26,000 or 5,000....I'm going to take care of it both cosmetically and mechanically. This is my first new car and I did not view it as a "cheap" car.

I wash it every week and wax once a month if I can. Washing and waxing isn't done because of any strange paranoia that your friend seems to have. YES I care about the cars appearance but the process of washing and waxing itself is therapeutic for me...almost meditative, I look forward to it.

As far as rock chips, door dings, etc go...do I like them? Of course not. But they are inevitable and out of my control so I don't let it get to me.

I believe how you treat your car reflects on how you treat everything else in life, from all the little things down to even the big things such as your house. It's more of a personality thing to me I guess.
beatgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beatgenie For This Useful Post:
Defuser (03-10-2015), Tcoat (03-10-2015), zinzan (03-15-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #87
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatgenie View Post
I wash it every week and wax once a month if I can. Washing and waxing isn't done because of any strange paranoia that your friend seems to have. YES I care about the cars appearance but the process of washing and waxing itself is therapeutic for me...almost meditative, I look forward to it.
^^^^ This^^^^
I wash every week (in the summer) because I like the process of washing and the satisfaction of how great it looks when it is done.
I also find that many people will approach and chat when you are washing a car that would otherwise never even say Boo to you so there is a social aspect to it as well.
beatgenie (03-11-2015), Dadhawk (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #88
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
^^^^ This^^^^
I wash every week (in the summer) because I like the process of washing and the satisfaction of how great it looks when it is done.
I also find that many people will approach and chat when you are washing a car that would otherwise never even say Boo to you so there is a social aspect to it as well.
I wish I had the patience to do this. As soon as my arm starts getting tired from washing I just go into eff it mode and just quickly wash it which always leaves those really fine scratches.. Then I am upset about those even though I know its my own damn fault.. Idk I like washing my miata because it is so small lol and I could care less about that paint since it is fubar anyways. I think thats the real problem. I just dont have the patience to wash my car properly in order to preserve the paint. Thus I dont feel the need to wash it lol
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #89
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
I wish I had the patience to do this. As soon as my arm starts getting tired from washing I just go into eff it mode and just quickly wash it which always leaves those really fine scratches.. Then I am upset about those even though I know its my own damn fault.. Idk I like washing my miata because it is so small lol and I could care less about that paint since it is fubar anyways. I think thats the real problem. I just dont have the patience to wash my car properly in order to preserve the paint. Thus I dont feel the need to wash it lol
Not only do I wash once a week I use a spray detailing compound (not wax) each time so I go over the whole car twice!
CAMBAM_6 (03-10-2015), Choco (03-15-2015), Jrryjms07 (03-11-2015), NWFRS (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #90
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
For myself I see this car as a vehicle I plan on keeping for a really long time, So yes I try and take care of it as much as possible. I don't go after every scratch and small dent (I have a small door scuff, front bumper is chipped and scratched to hell on the bottom) but I do keep up on my weekly washes.
I do plan on getting my front bumper resprayed and some kind of protective coating but im waiting until I have another car as a daily and my frs becomes my weekend warrior (I can dream) lol
Old 03-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #91
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Garage
Quote:
Not only do I wash once a week I use a spray detailing compound (not wax) each time so I go over the whole car twice!
Yea I used to do that with my prelude because it was black. But now that I have white paint I can ignore the crap out of it! lol
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ddreder For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #92
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
I do the same thing!

Meguire's Quick Detailer? I'm trying to switch to Griot's Garage Detailer but I have enough Meguire's to last me another year yet. Do you open the doors, hood and trunk and clean out all the sills? Our water was really hard when I started doing it, the city has since softened the water but it's a habit now. :-)
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #93
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
When I first got the car I told myself I was going to be obsessive about it since it's the first new car I've ever had and the best looking one too. But I'm lazy and quickly found out that I'm just not always motivated enough to keep it spotless. I'm also pretty bad at washing, so it's swirled to all hell, but that could also be the few car washes it's been through.

I have told myself that once I buy it out of the lease (if I do, which I think is likely) I will take it to a shop and have the paint corrected, rock chips fixed, and the whole thing opticoated, so I haven't really cared how it's looked for the better part of a year. I just keep telling myself eventually it'll all get fixed.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #94
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,997 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I pretty much follow the Daily Driver approach as others on here.

I average a little over 20K miles a year so there is no way to be obsessively clean about the car (or any of the other cars in my family). I do keep it clean and will touch up any really bad spots. If I keep it long enough I'll have the paint repaired as needed. About once a year I'll have a professional I trust go over the entire car and give it a complete detail.
The nice thing about red is that as long as you don't have mud on it, it never really looks dirty, just "dull". Then you wash it and pow.
I've definitely mellowed over the years on this. The first cars I owned in my teens and early 20's got the obsessive compulsive treatment. Some of them were cars I bought for under $500 but I worked on the paint to make it look better than new. Eventually I found other hobbies.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
CAMBAM_6 (03-12-2015), Tcoat (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #95
BRZBlack

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Garage
I did all of the things you described in your first post.... for the first year. This is my DD and used in winter. Plus mine is black. Impossible to keep perfectly clean so I don't even try unless I know it will be nice out for at least a week. Mechanical reliability and performance takes a front seat now. After my fist ding in the right front fender i was all %&*(%#$#$&*&(^&^&!!!!! Now im all like eh, that sucks.
BRZBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZBlack For This Useful Post:
richardM (03-11-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #96
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
I do the same thing!

Meguire's Quick Detailer? I'm trying to switch to Griot's Garage Detailer but I have enough Meguire's to last me another year yet. Do you open the doors, hood and trunk and clean out all the sills? Our water was really hard when I started doing it, the city has since softened the water but it's a habit now. :-)
I use the Turtle Wax ICE (the polymer one not the wax one) and yes inside every opening and sill get it too.

Damn it! I do baby my car and was in denial!!!
86geek (03-14-2015), Dadhawk (03-11-2015), Ultramaroon (03-11-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #97
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I pretty much follow the Daily Driver approach as others on here.

I average a little over 20K miles a year so there is no way to be obsessively clean about the car (or any of the other cars in my family). I do keep it clean and will touch up any really bad spots. If I keep it long enough I'll have the paint repaired as needed. About once a year I'll have a professional I trust go over the entire car and give it a complete detail.
The nice thing about red is that as long as you don't have mud on it, it never really looks dirty, just "dull". Then you wash it and pow.
I've definitely mellowed over the years on this. The first cars I owned in my teens and early 20's got the obsessive compulsive treatment. Some of them were cars I bought for under $500 but I worked on the paint to make it look better than new. Eventually I found other hobbies.
The orange is the same way. The brighter the sunlight, the better too. It's only when you get up close to it that you see the filth.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #98
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatgenie View Post
I don't care whether I buy a car that's 26,000 or 5,000....I'm going to take care of it both cosmetically and mechanically. This is my first new car and I did not view it as a "cheap" car.

As far as rock chips, door dings, etc go...do I like them? Of course not. But they are inevitable and out of my control so I don't let it get to me.

I believe how you treat your car reflects on how you treat everything else in life, from all the little things down to even the big things such as your house. It's more of a personality thing to me I guess.
Well spoken, Grasshopper.

I'm the same way with an ulterior motive. I go through lots of cars, trucks and SUV's. Of the four stages of the lifecycle (acquistion, financing, maintenance, disposal), I take steps to help recover costs at every step. I won't get into the other steps but the last is important to the next buyer and the extra care invested in cosmetics almost always pays dividends.

My last sale, an FR-S, sold for well over retail, actually the highest sale price I saw locally or nationally on closed eBay listings in part due to showroom condition from staying on top of interior/exterior detailing. I do the same for the rest of the fleet and especially to the keepers in the hangar for the reasons you mentioned, therapy and satisfaction.

Strange I know since we're talking about an inanimate object, but I also consider it payback for the track and auto-x cars that keep me safe.

Of course the job is shortened and easier using Griot's products and a Porter-Cable random orbital buffer.

I'll leave it at detailing, my attention to mechanicals might be a disorder.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
beatgenie (03-11-2015)