follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Portable UPS for dashcam?

I did a search on the forum and in google but can't find any manufacturers or vendors for a portable UPS for a dash cam. I see there is a company called T-power but they don't have distributors in USA.

Does anyone know a company that makes a small UPS with cigarette lighter plugs?

TIA
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
M12Power

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the LUKAS UPS:
http://lukasstore.com/new-lukas-all-...tery-pack.html

The vendor is in South Korea, and I remember the shipping took more than 2 weeks (it was shipped out of South Korea).

They have two versions, 2,600 mA and 3,000 mA. I went with the 3,000 mA version, but I couldn't tell from the label that it's the 3,000 mA version.

I got it for my BlackVue DR650GW-2CH, because I didn't want to mess with hardwiring the Power Magic Pro (which I did get for free with the BlackVue).
M12Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M12Power For This Useful Post:
that_one_guy (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thanks @M12Power

Any complaints so far? Also, was the 2 week shipping for regular or expedited?

Have you had any issue reaching the max 11hr life? The Lukas is half the price of the tpower but it takes twice as long to reach full charge. I don't know if the faster charge of the tpower will deplete it's ability to hold a charge over time or if it has some type of better battery technology because neither claim an alkaline or lithium battery.
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:10 AM   #4
M12Power

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If I park the car in an area of high activity, the battery would be drained completely from a full charge after only a few hours, because the cameras would be recording continuously, and with a 2-channel system like I have, that only makes the matter worse. Other than that, it works as advertised.

I remember I got expedited shipping for free because I'm in the US. If you want faster shipping, there's a distributor in Vancouver, Canada called blackboxmycar.com. They will ship anywhere in the US. I actually bought my BlackVue from them. I didn't get the Lukas UPS from them, because they charged more than the vendor, and I didn't know which version they had (2,600 mA or 3,000 mA). However, I see that they carry two other brands now, including T-Power.

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/collect...m-battery-pack

Btw, blackboxmycar.com claims that the Lukas UPS uses lithium ion battery made by LG.
M12Power is offline   Reply With Quote