follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #29
kinda5150

Drives: 2013 FRS firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
this recently started happening to me as well. did it once or twice last yr then nada until a couple weeks ago. it's done it about 7-8 x now, always after i go out at lunch time or when i leave from work. it always starts up right away in the morning at home. i have about a 40 min commute, then about 3 hrs later i go to lunch--sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds to start, then all is right w/the world. if it doesn't happen at lunch, then it happens when i leave for the day. really weird. wondering if may be fuel related as i recently switched to exxon (from shell). obviously i switched back and have had one long start in the past wk. maybe the car is just really picky about the fuel, or at least when it's cold out.
kinda5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #30
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, on that one you had to set the brake, set the throttle, set the spark ..... then get out and crank it ..... always remembering NOT to wrap your thumb around the crank handle ....
When we visited the Route 66 exhibit by the LA Zoo, saw a Model T. Was surprised it had an electric starter.. story goes that the starter was developed early on after an engineer's loved one died from cranking the engine by hand. Slipped or some shit. Amazing how things work out..
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
When we visited the Route 66 exhibit by the LA Zoo, saw a Model T. Was surprised it had an electric starter.. story goes that the starter was developed early on after an engineer's loved one died from cranking the engine by hand. Slipped or some shit. Amazing how things work out..
Ya, those cranks were a bitch! (So I have heard)
Koa (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #32
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,979 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ya, those cranks were a bitch! (So I have heard)
Yep, I remember as a kid, back on the farm, (oh, here he goes again ), to start our old Oliver tractor, I had to set the crank, stand up on a 5 gal bucket, jump off onto the crank and spring off of it .... quickly ..... quickly being the key word .....

Yepper, never had a flat tire ..... never got stuck ......

OK, back to the 21st century .....

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-18-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #33
nathanR

Drives: 2013 FR-S
This has happened to me as well. Maybe 4-5 times total. It always seems to happen at work where I am parked on a slight downhill slope towards the driver side (car is angled down towards the front driver's side corner). It may be coincidence but I'm trying to narrow down what makes this location so special. This doesn't seem to happen in any other parking location.

Might just be my imagination, so I'll continue to monitor.
nathanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #34
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanR View Post
This has happened to me as well. Maybe 4-5 times total. It always seems to happen at work where I am parked on a slight downhill slope towards the driver side (car is angled down towards the front driver's side corner). It may be coincidence but I'm trying to narrow down what makes this location so special. This doesn't seem to happen in any other parking location.

Might just be my imagination, so I'll continue to monitor.
Try the prestart priming method and see if that works for you.
Just turn the key fully into the on position but not all the way to start.
Wait about 5 seconds then turn it off and then immediately to start.
This has made a huge difference for me when starting in the -25 temperatures of late. Fires right up first crank every single time.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #35
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My car had been having a rough time starting for a week or so. One day it was completely dead, and would just make a loud "click" sound when pressing the start button. I followed the procedure in the manual of holding the button for 15 seconds, which resulted in 3 quick "clicks", but it still wouldn't start. I jumped the car and ran it for ~15 minutes. The next day it was dead again, so I brought it to the dealer. They tested the battery and determined it had a faulty cell. I just wanted to contribute to this post because a dead battery may be able to be covered under warranty, and I've noticed this car has been particularly cranky when starting cold compared to other cars I've owned.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
My car had been having a rough time starting for a week or so. One day it was completely dead, and would just make a loud "click" sound when pressing the start button. I followed the procedure in the manual of holding the button for 15 seconds, which resulted in 3 quick "clicks", but it still wouldn't start. I jumped the car and ran it for ~15 minutes. The next day it was dead again, so I brought it to the dealer. They tested the battery and determined it had a faulty cell. I just wanted to contribute to this post because a dead battery may be able to be covered under warranty, and I've noticed this car has been particularly cranky when starting cold compared to other cars I've owned.
There have been a pile of battery related issues mentioned on here. Don't claim to know why but seems to be a pretty common problem. As best as I can recall they were all replaced under warranty though.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #37
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There have been a pile of battery related issues mentioned on here. Don't claim to know why but seems to be a pretty common problem. As best as I can recall they were all replaced under warranty though.

Just to throw this out there, but the new battery is visually different than the original one. New one is 100% black top and black bottom; the original had a black top and white/translucent bottom.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #38
Lelantas

Drives: '15 BRZ ISM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
Just to throw this out there, but the new battery is visually different than the original one. New one is 100% black top and black bottom; the original had a black top and white/translucent bottom.
That might just be the dealer's choice of replacement battery. My 2015 BRZ (production date of 12/14) came with the black and translucent battery.
Lelantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #39
Lorico

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Just bought this car a week ago, it has 500KM and it took 3 tries to start the car. WTF.

I waited for a 2015 model to get rid of most of the bugs but this one is still here. Should I go to the dealer?
Lorico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #40
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorico View Post
Just bought this car a week ago, it has 500KM and it took 3 tries to start the car. WTF.

I waited for a 2015 model to get rid of most of the bugs but this one is still here. Should I go to the dealer?

I would!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #41
Lorico

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
As I figured. Dealer could not replicate the issue. I have a friend who owns a 2010 lancer. The mitsubishi's are notorious for this. He says use premium with no ethanol mix. Water from the alcohol mix is the culprit so he says.

Luckily I found out that Canadian tire has no ethonal in their premium I'll keep u guys updated
Lorico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #42
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorico View Post
As I figured. Dealer could not replicate the issue. I have a friend who owns a 2010 lancer. The mitsubishi's are notorious for this. He says use premium with no ethanol mix. Water from the alcohol mix is the culprit so he says.

Luckily I found out that Canadian tire has no ethonal in their premium I'll keep u guys updated
He is so wrong he couldn't be wronger (new word)!
There is no water from the alcohol mix. In fact, you know what gas line antifreeze is? Yep alcohol. The fuel does not break down into separate components in the fuel tank.
And as the owner of a Talon (Eclipse) 3 Lancers, 2 Outlanders and an RVR over the years I can say that I never once had a hard start with any of them. Never, not even when a couple of the Lancers had over 200,000 miles on them!
I also have no idea why he is running premium in a Lancer in the first place because unless he had modded the hell out of it there is absolutely zero benefit to using premium.
Please tell your friend on my behalf that he is totally full of shit (him not you)!