follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #85
Ernie L

Drives: 2014 BRZ black premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It seems odd to me that there is no mention of the PCV valve or its reuse. Oil separator/catch can candidate ?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #86
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
They have nothing in the instructions about where to run the hose to? No port on the manifold body?

I ran it to a catch can on my Vette (after the breather filters were dribbling down the valve covers) and it wasn't a problem. It's surprising though that this complete kit would leave something like that out.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #87
Ernie L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
They have nothing in the instructions about where to run the hose to? No port on the manifold body?

I ran it to a catch can on my Vette (after the breather filters were dribbling down the valve covers) and it wasn't a problem. It's surprising though that this complete kit would leave something like that out.
yes there are directions to run the hoses. The back breather hose to the a spigot on the throttle body and the front breather hose to the spigot on the cold air inlet. I'm thinking of splicing the PVC into the breather hose it was originally on (shrug) you sure can't plug the PVC into the aluminum cold air inlet tubing as it was on the original rubber inlet tube.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 AM   #88
Uplink

Oh, just the check valve itself, not the whole plumbing run. As long as the valve is facing the proper direction it should be fine in the same line it was originally in.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #89
350matt

Drives: toyota mr2/ Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hello Ernie

isn't the PCV the valve that screws into the block at the back? and the rear breather hose then runs to the manifold?

the front breather hose comes off the block and then into the air inlet before the throttle doesn't it?

didn't Cosworth supply new breather hoses?
350matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #90
Ernie L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350matt View Post
Hello Ernie

isn't the PCV the valve that screws into the block at the back? and the rear breather hose then runs to the manifold?

the front breather hose comes off the block and then into the air inlet before the throttle doesn't it?

didn't Cosworth supply new breather hoses?
Hi Matt
Yes new breather hoses are included but poorly documented.

Now that I think about it ..yes that must be the second PCV valve . Why would you only have one PCV valve but two breathers. MY point I was not so successfully (after re reading what I wrote) trying to make is this. The front breather hose connects to the spigot on the cold air inlet (metal tube running to the air filter). What about the PCV valve that was originally fitted to the front breather tube and ran to the OEM rubber cold air inlet. There is no mention nor as far as I can tell a provision made for its reuse.. Is running a breather pipe (as they call it) with out a PCV valve straight to the cold air inlet not a problem ?

Some thing tells me you have explored this motor a bit ..yes?..that fitting in the block is not something you would normally be able to see.
As always I am grateful for your thoughts.
Ernie
Old 02-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #91
350matt

Hello Ernie

from what I've seen the front breather pipe comes from the crankcase thats got that plastic tube fitting on top of the engine and I think that has a valve in it, not at the intake end

whereas the rear breather is old school toyota part and a 'normal' PCV'

So all Cosworth have done by the sound of it is replaced the hoses with their own parts to accomodate the new manifold I'd say so the amount of PCV's hasn't changed
Old 02-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #92
Ernie L

Quote:
Hello Ernie

from what I've seen the front breather pipe comes from the crankcase thats got that plastic tube fitting on top of the engine and I think that has a valve in it, not at the intake end

whereas the rear breather is old school toyota part and a 'normal' PCV'

So all Cosworth have done by the sound of it is replaced the hoses with their own parts to accomodate the new manifold I'd say so the amount of PCV's hasn't changed
Yes..You are correct of course..I see what I thought was and old school style PCV valve is just an elbow connection. As you said both PCV valves are on the engine side of the pipes. Thanks for removing my doubts..one less thing to fret over
Old 02-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #93
350matt

Glad to have helped

I admit I have a ulterior motive though
I just want to see how this thing runs with this kit on it
Old 02-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #94
Uplink

Quote:
Glad to have helped

I admit I have a ulterior motive though
I just want to see how this thing runs with this kit on it
YOU want to see how this runs?! I'm on my second keyboard having broken the F5 key on the first one.

It's very promising that the kit can be done solo in about 2 days. Thanks for keeping us updated Ernie! Any plans to dyno the car when it's done?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #95
350matt

just one other question Ernie

was the car complelty stock before you bolted all this on?

if so its going to be quite the step isn't it?

got some stickier rubber lined up?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #96
Ernie L

Quote:
just one other question Ernie

was the car complelty stock before you bolted all this on?

if so its going to be quite the step isn't it?

got some stickier rubber lined up?
Except for a couple of bolt ons.namless axle back,Cold air intake..it was pretty much stock...I would imagine this power increase should be enough to give me the performance I had with my WRX..but with better handling !

I'm running some slightly wider and stickier bridestones with some lighter Italian wheels (OZ) ..can't speak for their longevity after this though .

I am convinced you need to have monkey fingers to work on this engine.
Regards Ernie

Last edited by Ernie L; 02-27-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #97
Ernie L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
YOU want to see how this runs?! I'm on my second keyboard having broken the F5 key on the first one.

It's very promising that the kit can be done solo in about 2 days. Thanks for keeping us updated Ernie! Any plans to dyno the car when it's done?
I think JerryIII did the installation very quickly... But I casn't say for sure..JerryIII gives new meaning to the word taciturn.
I was not able to do it in just one weekend...leaning at the waist for 5 hours in a row took out my back for a couple of days..as it is I can only go at it for a couple of hours each night after work...this is an involved installation...with sketchy fitting instructions...i.e I wasted time flipping over the banjo bolt for the hydraulic clutch. The directions said it could interfere..It's not any where near the SC (shrug) Of course I could not tell this until I had removed the banjo bolt..replaced it and bled the system of air.and installed the intake and SC....jeezez...

Last edited by Ernie L; 02-27-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #98
Ernie L

Fired it up for the first time..its on high Idle...I can hear some mechanical noise from the blower.
I would like to take it for a ride but I still need to complete bleeding the inter cooler...
so what's so difficult about that you ask...well ya just gotta love the installation instructions...I spent 3 hours trying to align the bolts that hold the cool air intake pipe...two of the bolts you have to do by feel alone...while tugging on the pipe to get it to align....you get the idea...not fun...I invented a few new cuss words...anyway...after doing that I flip the page and the very last thing to do is fill and bleed the inter cooler...oh yeah ...to do that you need to open the bleed screws at the back of the intake...but first you need to remove the air pipe you just installed...#*@^&^%%$)__)(*&*&*(^%%*((( ...I will get to that tomorrow ..and take it for a shake down cruise...

[ame]http://youtu.be/yTZ1B1xawks[/ame]
Insurme1 (02-28-2015), Jmonty (02-28-2015), killboy (02-28-2015), kungfujerry (03-01-2015), LucidMomentum (02-27-2015), Uplink (02-28-2015)