follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,640 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Revworks UEL gasket for stock overpipe

Purchased a Revworks UEL from a member here. I did not receive the aftermarket gasket Revworks provides to attach the header to the stock overpipe.

Anyone know if a Subaru donut gasket combined with a regular gasket will do the job??

If not, what should I use?

Thanks
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Purchased a Revworks UEL from a member here. I did not receive the aftermarket gasket Revworks provides to attach the header to the stock overpipe.

Anyone know if a Subaru donut gasket combined with a regular gasket will do the job??

Thanks
The donut gasket it for the midpipe connection. Depending on what catback you run, you might or might not need it. You should only need a flat 2.5" gasket for header to overpipe which is pretty universal.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Specifically, Revworks says on their website they supply an aftermarket gasket if you wish to attach to a stock overpipe vs. their overpipe. The guy who sold it to me said it was a rubber looking fat gasket so I figured maybe a Subaru Donut would do it.

Hopefully someone here knows.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
ray7792

Drives: AT 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, I don't think the donut gasket works for the header to OP. Word of warning, Revworks states that you should use 2 gaskets if coupling to the stock OP...didn't work very well for me though, constant exhaust leaks T.T even with adding silicone copper. Had to just get a cheap aftermarket OP to fix the nagging issue.

Oh, the aftermarket one they supply was just a regular gasket at least that's what I got lol It was a bit more rubbery than the OEM one I guess hm

good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to ray7792 For This Useful Post:
wbradley (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray7792 View Post
Yeah, I don't think the donut gasket works for the header to OP. Word of warning, Revworks states that you should use 2 gaskets if coupling to the stock OP...didn't work very well for me though, constant exhaust leaks T.T even with adding silicone copper. Had to just get a cheap aftermarket OP to fix the nagging issue.

Oh, the aftermarket one they supply was just a regular gasket at least that's what I got lol It was a bit more rubbery than the OEM one I guess hm

good luck
So regarding the stock overpipe, is leakage due to transitioning from a 2.5" header outlet to a slightly smaller overpipe inlet?
I just picked up OEM Subaru gaskets today and I see the header to overpipe gasket is a really thin sheet metal looking one, different from the header to engine gasket composition. Doesn't look like it can be doubled up with the lip on it and I'm wondering if there is a better gasket to avoid having to get a 2.5" overpipe. Or just tighten it really well? My header flange is definitely not warped BTW.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:12 AM   #6
OmarYasin

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks
U can use a eagle talon turbo exgaust gasket. 2.5 exhaust size on the talon, ive used them before on revwork header to op. Autozone or napa should have those in stock
OmarYasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Hmmmmmm
Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
ray7792

Quote:
So regarding the stock overpipe, is leakage due to transitioning from a 2.5" header outlet to a slightly smaller overpipe inlet?
I just picked up OEM Subaru gaskets today and I see the header to overpipe gasket is a really thin sheet metal looking one, different from the header to engine gasket composition. Doesn't look like it can be doubled up with the lip on it and I'm wondering if there is a better gasket to avoid having to get a 2.5" overpipe. Or just tighten it really well? My header flange is definitely not warped BTW.
I would think your reasoning for the leakage is correct. I tried the single gasket a few times (new gasket each time) but it sprung a slight leak fairly quickly each time. I tightened that shit with the force of a thousand suns, but...meh. Also the inner bolt is a pain in the ass to get to, perhaps if you had the right tools it would be easier to wiggle in there. At least the double gasket lasted longer before leak T.T . Neither components were warped, at least from what I was able to see.

I honesty wouldn't know if there is a beefier gasket you can use, perhaps you can try what OmarYasin mentioned.

But put on whatever you think is correct~ there have only been a few ppl I know that had the same issue I faced, could've just been my dumbass's fault xD
Old 02-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #9
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ya my rev works header has leaked since day 1. i tried a bunch of gaskets but id swear the flange was warped. ill just go turbo to fix this issue
Old 02-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
JSanders
FR-S Newb

Garage
Quote:

good luck
Out of curiosity, which OP did you go with? My header is constantly leaking even after double gasket and hulk tightening the bolts. Even went so far as to unbolt both ends of the OP and then tightened the header side first in the theory of bringing that flange flush but still leaking and kicking CELs. Not trying to break bank on a fancy OP just to correct a leak. Haha
Old 02-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #11
ray7792

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Out of curiosity, which OP did you go with? My header is constantly leaking even after double gasket and hulk tightening the bolts. Even went so far as to unbolt both ends of the OP and then tightened the header side first in the theory of bringing that flange flush but still leaking and kicking CELs. Not trying to break bank on a fancy OP just to correct a leak. Haha
http://topspeedauto.com/scion-fr-s-f...pec-over-pipe/

Think it was 95 bucks on Ebay lol
From what I've seen on this forum, people have been pretty happy with the quality of their work.
There was a Groupbuy some time ago for some other OP at a much lower cost than anything else, last I checked it was sold out for months, but maybe check it out?
The Following User Says Thank You to ray7792 For This Useful Post:
JSanders (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 AM   #12
#maverick#

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GP (SOLD), 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vibrant Gaskets are good. I used them on my cheapass j2 front pipe, the gaskets that came with it leaked in 2 weeks LOL, the vibrant ones have been on for half a year no problems so far.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #13
JSanders
FR-S Newb

Garage
Sorry for the thread jack!

Quote:
http://topspeedauto.com/scion-fr-s-f...pec-over-pipe/

Think it was 95 bucks on Ebay lol
From what I've seen on this forum, people have been pretty happy with the quality of their work.
There was a Groupbuy some time ago for some other OP at a much lower cost than anything else, last I checked it was sold out for months, but maybe check it out?
Thank you!