follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 02-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #2213
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Okay guys, looking for some advice on datalogging. I know... it has been covered in the past on this thread but actually compiling all of those random posts in the hay stack is a challenge to say the least.

So, I have a budget of about $1k (less would be better). My baseline pick right now would be Solostorm for software because I love what it can do and being able to view and compare videos between runs will be great for me. If I go with Solostorm, I was thinking about just picking up everything Solostorm recommends (http://www.petreldata.com/product/so...repro-package/) because it would be easy, but it is also expensive. Does anyone run other, less expensive, loggers with Solostorm? On top of all of this, I need to buy a wifi GoPro because my current is not wifi.

Thoughts?
if I didn't get my AimSolo DL for half off (used) then Solostorm would def be the next thing id purchase. It looks like they have a solid platform and their price is justified by their continuing development of the product.
DylanFRS (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #2214
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
After doing more research, I am wondering if their other option would be better for me (i.e. Datalogging noob):

http://www.petreldata.com/product/so...arz-bt-q818xt/

You are stuck with your in-phone accelerometers but saving quite a bit of money. I am hesitant to so all out with buying a really nice data acquisition box when I barely know anything about what I really need. I know I want to view videos between runs, get GPS overlay, and throttle and brake would be nice. (OBD2 BT dongles are everywhere these days) Obviously G would be nice but that would be mostly for comparison to my codriver so as long as it is consistent...

No idea what I would be able to do with yaw and pitch rate. Sounds sexy but that is about it for my uses.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #2215
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
yaw and pitch and brake and throttle are actually going to be one of your most valuable inputs. They will tell you how you're actually driving the car and where you can find improvement.

the actual GPS "line" will become almost useless as a metric, you'll just use it as a reference point to see what you're doing with your brake/throttle at points on the track, and how the car is reacting via lateral and longitude loads.

also steering input.. that's another biggie.
DylanFRS (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #2216
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRev View Post
Not looking to ship these but will be at Blytheville, Texas, and Toledo ProSolo events and could deliver (limited to a set per event due to FiST space). Also frequent Milwaukee and Twin Cities events. For the rims I would also meet someone halfway if they live in Milwaukee, Twin Cities, or Chicago (would be 1.5-2hr drive one way for us both).

Set of silver Kosei K1-TS 17x7 wheels $500
Set of black Enkei RPF1 17x7 wheels $600
I might be interested in one of those sets. It could be a month or so before I've got the spare cash (so don't hold out for me), but if you still have either set in the next month or two I'm in Chicago and would be willing to meet half way. I also plan on being at ProSolo in Toledo, so if anything we could arrange something for then.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #2217
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
After doing more research, I am wondering if their other option would be better for me (i.e. Datalogging noob):

http://www.petreldata.com/product/so...arz-bt-q818xt/

You are stuck with your in-phone accelerometers but saving quite a bit of money. I am hesitant to so all out with buying a really nice data acquisition box when I barely know anything about what I really need. I know I want to view videos between runs, get GPS overlay, and throttle and brake would be nice. (OBD2 BT dongles are everywhere these days) Obviously G would be nice but that would be mostly for comparison to my codriver so as long as it is consistent...

No idea what I would be able to do with yaw and pitch rate. Sounds sexy but that is about it for my uses.

Id be interested in "renting" out my solostorm unit so you could test drive and see if you like it.

Tablet, solostorm, gps...we are codriving with a guy who has a setup already so mine just sits.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vroom4 For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #2218
Laloosh

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
March 8th is the first local autox around here. Hopefully the weather holds up as I added a couple parts over the break and am eager to see if they are worth anything. Lol
2014 BRZ C-Street #11 245/40/17 RE71R's, Camber Bolts, Koni Shocks, Perrin 19m Bar, 5mm Spacer/Longer Studs, Berk Track Pipe, KNN Drop In, Fancy alignment
Laloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #2219
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
yaw and pitch and brake and throttle are actually going to be one of your most valuable inputs. They will tell you how you're actually driving the car and where you can find improvement.
I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on yaw rates and pitch rates. I could see yaw rates being useful to someone when used in conjunction with a lot of analysis to calculate slip angle. Pitch rate though? Damper tuning under braking?

Maybe I spoke out of turn on their usefulness to an amateur autocross driver in a stock class but I just don't see it.

(throttle and brake, definitely, but those are gained through the OBD2 port, not the telemetry box)
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #2220
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Run days are announced for nationals.....we run Thur/Fri, which is what I was afraid of.
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...RUn%20Days.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanRTR For This Useful Post:
Briankbot (02-16-2015), DylanFRS (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #2221
Briankbot

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRTR View Post
Run days are announced for nationals.....we run Thur/Fri, which is what I was afraid of.
Sorry if I missed it in a previous post, but what is the concern with Thur/Fri run days?
Briankbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #2222
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankbot View Post
Sorry if I missed it in a previous post, but what is the concern with Thur/Fri run days?
I can't speak for Sean, but Thurs/Fri almost automatically requires that you be out there for the full week, and getting back home in some sort of zombie state just in time for work after your not-so-restful vacation of being cooked alive while marinating your innards in beer.

For me, finishing up on Wednesday means it's not a real challenge to be back home around breakfast on Friday. (20 hours each way)

A lot of times, it's a full week no matter what, but it's nice to be able to drive home on a not-tight schedule, and have a day or two to recover. The Tues/Wed guys can kind of loaf on their way out and way back.

It's also made worse if you're planning on the Pro Finale. There's only so much testing that could possibly be necessary or useful while waiting around (at an airport, on a concrete pad, with 1,000 dudes) for 3 days. Lincoln is a decent city, but it's not that interesting.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrqlessWonder For This Useful Post:
Briankbot (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #2223
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRTR View Post
Not unexpected, but it definitely makes things much tougher for me too. I might need to start looking for a codrive.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #2224
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
On the bright side, it makes it easier if you wanna run Solo Trials. It makes me rethink doing the pro though, that is a lot of PTO to burn.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #2225
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrqlessWonder View Post
It's also made worse if you're planning on the Pro Finale. There's only so much testing that could possibly be necessary or useful while waiting around (at an airport, on a concrete pad, with 1,000 dudes) for 3 days. Lincoln is a decent city, but it's not that interesting.
Drink a lot while watching other people drive. Or better yet, head downtown and drink with a bunch of Midwestern college chicks who are leaving their repressed stage and entering their wild stage. Don't ask how I know that.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #2226
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
Drink a lot while watching other people drive. Or better yet, head downtown and drink with a bunch of Midwestern college chicks who are leaving their repressed stage and entering their wild stage. Don't ask how I know that.
That happens, too. Also, drinking while helping out friends who are driving different days. If it's your first time, you should do the full week spectacle anyway.

As for Cornhusker chicks, It's an interesting idea, but my two trips to Lincoln (always stay downtown) didn't really reveal that as an option. I mean, I'm sure they're wild and everything, but Wednesday early afternoon day-drunk doesn't really draw the crowd I'm hoping for. I like my women to have teeth, not a meth habit.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote