follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #99
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
Hello all,

Got the Nameless header along with their 2.5" overpipe/frontpipe. I'm running into a fitment issue with their overpipe. It's hitting the head and causing an exhaust leak at the top of the gasket.

Anybody else running this combo have the same issue?

is your header coated? If so, does it have a brace welded on to keep the outlet in position?

I sent both my front pipe and my header back to nameless due to this issue. I was told the front pipes often need to be clearanced for the corner of the head.

The coated headers apparently deformed slightly during the coating (and the cool down process) which requires a bracket to prevent this.

They replaced my front pipe (i had one of the first designs and had weld failures on the helmholtz and had beat the shit out of it trying to clearance it for (as it turns out, the header issue). Still waiting to get my header back from them... they received it on October 16th and as of yesterday, no one knows were it is... it was supposed to go to coating a month ago after they added the bracket.

Nameless seems to make good products but they are growing too fast for their own good, well... really for their customers own good if you ask me.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #100
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@Nameless View Post
For clarification, we haven't changed anything about our design since we first released the part more than a year ago, and we have only seen a handful of issues pop up when connecting to an OEM header. When you add in other parts, you add variables to the equation.

-Ryan @ Nameless
[EDIT, just saw the date on Ryan's post about the pipe design and realised they may have changed the design after his post]

The over / front pipe design was changed at some point. I have had two of them and they switched from the can resonator mounted at the front end to the ball resonator mounted at the tail end.

From my email thread with Jake:
"Well we are looking at doing a new replacement because the part is so old there is a new design for the piping, helmholtz location and helmholtz style. The new one would have the doughnut section on the rear of the pipe."

Header was also updated, they orignially did not include a bracket on the coated header, which you do now. From my thread with John:

"The problem you have is one that we have seen with 2 coated manifolds in the past. in the oven during the ceramic coating process the outlet moves slightly while the material is relaxing in the heat. Yours just didn't come back to where it was supposed to when the part cooled off from the baking process."

Last edited by mad_sb; 12-19-2014 at 09:21 AM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mad_sb For This Useful Post:
TheBRZsKnees (02-25-2017)
Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #101
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
All of the Cosworth headers by nameless have this support bracket.
Lawnik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawnik For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (05-25-2015)
Old 12-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #102
mad_sb

Just an update for others in this boat. Nameless finally got my header back to me on christmas eve. Not sure if it is teh same header or a newer cosworth unit i ended up getting back... The spacing on two of the primaries is totally different than the original (first production batch) header I sent back to them.

With the bracket in place, the header now fits perfectly. The front pipe flange and header flange line up parallel and with about 1/16th" gap. I did have to clearance the frontpipe for the corner of the head.

Now that the header has been fixed and the front pipe replaced everything fits as it should with no rubbing or annoying ass metal on metal noises that I delt with for over a year (due to the front pipe it turns out).

I'm happy that nameless was able to sort out the issues without additional cost to me (they covered shipping) and that everything is as it should be now...

I'm not happy that I had to send both the header and the front / over pipe back back due to fitment issues... especially when you consider that nameless bases it's reputation on quality.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #103
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Just an update for others in this boat. Nameless finally got my header back to me on christmas eve. Not sure if it is teh same header or a newer cosworth unit i ended up getting back... The spacing on two of the primaries is totally different than the original (first production batch) header I sent back to them.

With the bracket in place, the header now fits perfectly. The front pipe flange and header flange line up parallel and with about 1/16th" gap. I did have to clearance the frontpipe for the corner of the head.

Now that the header has been fixed and the front pipe replaced everything fits as it should with no rubbing or annoying ass metal on metal noises that I delt with for over a year (due to the front pipe it turns out).

I'm happy that nameless was able to sort out the issues without additional cost to me (they covered shipping) and that everything is as it should be now...

I'm not happy that I had to send both the header and the front / over pipe back back due to fitment issues... especially when you consider that nameless bases it's reputation on quality.
Just curious here, what's different on the spacing of the primaries? Does it happen to allow better access the the passenger side head studs?
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #104
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Just curious here, what's different on the spacing of the primaries? Does it happen to allow better access the the passenger side head studs?
No, sorry for the confusion, on mine there was a place where the primaries were touching, on the driver side where the pipes Y together. Also the secondaries were touching (could see the wear mark) near the top of the front loop (where it comes up into the bay then across under the intake, then turns back down).

Though now that you mentioned it, i was able to bolt it up just using a deep 14 and an extension. I remember having to use a 14mm wrench last time (i have installed and removed headers on this car about 6 times now between stock, fa20, and the nameless). This time I did not need a wrench.

I also had to remove the dipstick this time and have not had too in the past. I really think they sent me a new header rather than adding the bracket to mine and re-coating it. Either that or when they put it back in the jig they had to do a lot of heating and bending to get things where they needed to be.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:53 AM   #105
winsometang

Drives: Scion F-RS 2013 Asphalt MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinks View Post
Here a video of the noise issues I'm having after installing the Nameless header plus mid pipe.

What's the vertdic? Metal on metal contact or VVT noise from the E85 tune?

My fiitment issues are the same as everybody else that has posted on this tread. Super low clearance between the mid pipe and block. I think I'll try the move the engine around tomorrow.

Im having the exact same noise and it defineitly does not sound like vvt... plus im not running e85
winsometang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:32 AM   #106
ssyed

Drives: 2013 Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So after bending the pipe a little, apparently after one year of usage, I'm getting metallic noise back again. I am guessing its the pipe hitting something. I've contacted nameless via email 3 times, absolutely no response and its been 3 weeks. Extremely disappointed.
ssyed is offline   Reply With Quote