follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #43
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you want a nicer looking interior have you check out the series blue brz. The interior in that is really nice with the black and blue combo. Power you can make all cars to me are slow untill you mod them. It puts a smile.to my face even driving the car slow not many cars have made me.feel like this
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #44
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
If you want a nicer looking interior have you check out the series blue brz. The interior in that is really nice with the black and blue combo. Power you can make all cars to me are slow untill you mod them. It puts a smile.to my face even driving the car slow not many cars have made me.feel like this
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #45
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
never go down in power level, I learned this the hard way
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #46
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
maybe you should wait for FT-1. i dont think the 86 will ever get major power or interior update because they would not potential FT-1 buyer to cross shopping between 86 and ft1. keep in mind FT86's core principle is AE86, a light weight econo sports car.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #47
Eski

Drives: '15 Brz Series Blue
get the blue series. nice interior, more sound deadening, and add a turbo or supercharger. boom problem solved.
Eski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #48
harkbrz

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013
Mustang 2015. Best decision I ever made. Haven't missed my brz for even a second.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #49
UtahSleeper

Drives: 80 Corolla 88 Celica Alltrac 13 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkbrz View Post
Mustang 2015. Best decision I ever made. Haven't missed my brz for even a second.
I just dont think I could ever buy a sports car with that much extra fat on it. Glad they did away with the live axle though.
UtahSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UtahSleeper For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (08-15-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #50
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
To each his own but IMO the new Mustang is heavier and uglier than the previous generation.

The sloped roof and low hanging ass just scream ugly to me.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
Eski (01-29-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #51
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had a BMW Z4 M coupe for 3 years. Harsh ride, poor visibility, dull interior. It has the famous S54 engine. Handling at the track was also a little unpredictable. I looked at a 997 S (2010 I think). It was ok but left me disappointed. Price was VERY expensive. I ended up buying an Audi TT-RS. AWD, quicker than the 997 and a very nice interior. It even had better 2+2 seating than the twins as well as more storage--especially with the seats down. The problem was that I could never use the power except at the track and I didn't get to go very often. And, you had to drive it really fast to have any fun because the AWD would never allow the tail to come out. It was also depreciating pretty quickly. You can probably get a very nice one now for $45-$50k. It doesn't have the steering feel of the BRZ but it checks most of the other boxes that the OP is looking for.
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 AM   #52
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
435i M sport if you want a balance of luxury, driving dynamics, and decent seating space for four IMO. it`s not as sharp as the twins but you get so much more in other departments. if you`re not going to track race the car, it`s not worth dealing with things like wind noise, small interior, squeaky noises, lack of torque etc every single day.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #53
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
My vote is for the Lotus Evora S nice interior, light weight, supercharged, 2+2 seating, and its a drivers car.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
n8dog11914 (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #54
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade7588 View Post
Hi guys this is my first post. I have been a long time lurker on these boards off and on. Only recently have i started to do more serious research on the 86 platform.

I am a current owner of a 3.8 2013 genesis coupe with a manual transmission. I have also had a 2012 genesis coupe before that. My current car is fully loaded and I am leasing it and with my lease being up in june I need to look for my next car.

I didn't come here to post to write about how the genesis is better than the brz/frs but I will be candid in my own opinions comparing the two cars.

At this point I have rented the frs for about a solid week and drove it under many conditions so I do have some back to back experience on my favorite canyon roads and daily driving.

But first why am I here? I got into rear wheel drive for kinda what most would think is a dumb reason. I grew up watching anime and stumbled across Initial D. After completing that I was hooked on rear wheel drive. Prior too that I was all about Honda and Acura. At that time I was pining after a Honda Civic Si.

I knew my car had to be rear wheel drive but the frs/brz wasn't even out yet so i bought a 2012 genesis. It really helped me break into the enthusiast scene coming from mom and dads accord and other economy fwd sedans my family owns.

I upgraded to the 2013 a year later for the superior interior against my own 2012. At this point however I did cross shop the frs/brz. Unfortunately all the subaru dealerships wanted 3 grand over sticker for the car in any trim and I could get a fully loaded genesis for that price. The breaker though was actually the rear seats. I take a lot of friends in my car and I needed a real 2 + 2 do everything car and that was it. So I bought it fully loaded.

What follows is my honest review of the Hyundai as a owner and previous sales person of the brand: The genesis coupe really has been a bargain for the money. it offers excellent options in the way of engine selection as well as competitive features within the cars it competes with. Namely the 370z and g37 coupe. My 2013 is equipped almost as well as a fully loaded g37 and way more than a fully loaded 370z. They also offer a better warranty and excellent build quality. I don't know what any of your biases may be toward hyundai as a brand but they build absolutely phenomenal cars across the board.

If your shopping luxury coupes then the genesis is neigh impossible to beat other than the g37. And it undercuts the car by 10k. But what I am here to talk about is driving feel.

The genesis isn't without faults. It has transmission issues with the stick shift in the years 10-12. We call it the fifth gear grind. Bad syncros produce a grind in some sticks in those years. Doesn't effect function just and annoyance. Hyundai is prompt to replace those transmissions with brand new ones. In that way its know different than the twins infamous "crickets" fuel pump in that they will replace the part but it isn't been refined in any way. Its just another part. The 2013's fixed this issue with the transmissions however the transmission from a performance enthusiasm standpoint is still interior to the twins.

As a drivers car the genesis is sporting. Don't get me wrong it is a fun car to drive. Its fast and has pretty good suspension 2013 and on as well as good features. What it lacks however is "road feel" and an immersive driving experience. The genesis coupe shines the faster you drive it. Bit sweepers in the car are very rewarding. As a track car it may even be a better platform for a dedicated track junky. As a road car it is definitely without a doubt a superior grand touring car compared to the twins.

If you've made it this far your probably think me Hyundai troll. That I am drinking the cool aid so to speak that my brand has provided. However this couldn't be further from the truth.

What is the driving experience actually worth? In my opinion it is worth switching cars. I want to drive my car. I want to smile every time I go to the canyons. when I have rented the FRS before I find myself laughing like a child when I drive it (I am 26). Conversely the genesis is much more plush to drive with a premium interior which is actually a huge factor to me. But I can't shake the sheer joy of driving the twins provide. Ultimately that leaves me with the dilemma I am in now and the reason I am posting.

I want the FRS/BRZ. I like my genesis as well but I am willing to let it go and move on at this point. The catch 22 is that neither car is 100% what I want.

To get the FRS/BRZ where I want it I was waiting for the refresh. I want a more premium interior. With some better sound deadening as well. Really I would be happy paying 35k for a BRZ with an interior like my genesis. I wouldn't bat an eye. However I know that was not the point of these cars. Still I am hoping they refresh the interior and hey if the engine comes with it then awesome.

The Genesis will see a new engine selection in its next reiteration. It is looking like it will receive the Azeras 3.3L Turbo V6 whenever it does come out. Power alone is not enough to seduce me however. If I wanted that I would buy a comaro or mustang v8. I want better driving feel. A more connected and involving experience from the driver perspective. That would put me in another genesis in a new york minute.

Thats just it though. Neither of these cars have been refreshed yet so I feel I am stuck. From lurking on these boards here I gather that the 2016 FRS/BRZ probably won't be the refresh I was waiting for but in fact the 2017 model year. To add insult to injury the Genesis is looking to be the same way. Nothing new till 2017.

I have shopped all they way up too about 60k. Looking at the S5 and Bmw 228 and 235i. Both of which were excellent cars but I did not feel provided that connected feel I was looking for concerning the audi and I have never been the biggest bmw fan to begin with. So those cars are out too.

At this point the only new car that will offer what I am looking for under 60k would be the BRZ/FRS. But I don't want to add more sound deadening to make it feel quiet like I would like. Nor do I want to have to change out the entire audio system to get it up to the same quality as the premium audio in my current genesis. In a perfect world I want to buy it like I want it but that just isn't realistic.

Should I wait and see what happens in 2016 for the refresh of both cars? Especially knowing that the BRZ may make me happier than the genesis at the moment but that it too will also not be exactly what I am looking for.

To anyone conflicted on there own car I say this. If you ever thought that you might want to buy a g37, 370z, mustang, camoro, challenger in v6 or 4 cylinder turbo configurations then the genesis will handily beat them all in value and features and still be a very enjoyable usable car. Especially if you have family and kids or take friends often.

If v8 power is your goal then I would consider something else because It still can't hang with the v8 versions of the muscle cars

But if driving enjoyment and the smile on your face is at all a priority then the genesis will fall short. I have driven just about every enthusiast car from the s5 down and nothing has made me smile like the FRS/BRZ. Nothing. It is the sole reason it will be the next car in my future soon. I just don't know if I will hold onto it long due to wanting an upscale interior. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the refresh vastly enhances interior materials without inflating the price more than 1000 bucks across trim levels.

So ya maybe I will get flamed for supporting hyundai here but I don't mean to troll. Just want to show love to what will be my next new car while also sharing a very positive experience with my current one.

Do I wait for the refresh? or buy a cheap brz now and sell when the refresh happens if the interior is improved?

anyway thanks for reading. I am glad to be a member of the forum guys.
If you definitely want a FRS or BRZ and you are worried about the lack of power/torque to the point where you will be dissatisfied then at a minimum get a supercharger - in my opinion, Innovate or Jackson Racing + an oil cooler of course.

I would say those 2 super charger kits are the most headache-free kits that are the closest thing to plug and play - at least from the anecdotal feedback i have read from other users. Of course I could also be totally wrong but I think between those 2 you will be more than satisfied, especially if you go with a non-carb tune.

Also, if you are ok with an e-tune, reach out to James with HRi Tuning in Florida or Bill with Delicious Tuning in California.

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #55
slade7588

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
what engine mustang did you get?

I have gotten a chance to look at the 15 mustangs they have some pretty stellar interiors and the new look is pretty good looking.

but in the realm that that car lives in. larger fast grand touring car I feel the genesis is a better buy unless you get the v8 and at that point the genesis can't even think of touching it.

both the genesis and mustang are offered in 4 cylinder turbos and v6 engine configurations but I personally feel the genesis is a little bit more buttoned down in driving dynamics to the mustang. As well as the genesis is a touch lighter.

If you like domestic cars or are a muscle car fan, or heck maybe if your not brand biased at all you may still give the win to the mustang which I'm not trying to undercut as a bad car. but if you like the better driving machine i am going to say genesis.

for me personally the mustang isn't so much a step down. As it is a step to the side from the same place I am currently at. it would be different. but it wouldn't be a huge change from my current vehicle.
slade7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #56
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I say (I almost did this myself, kinda wish I had sometimes) that if you do not absolutely need 4 seats buy a used Porsche Cayman S.

There a quite a few of these floating around (at least in my area when I was shopping for my current vehicle) with under 20k miles and for <= $40k.
Plus I've found most of these owners (when I was looking and test driving them) are well to do gentlemen in their late 50s - 60s that lightly drive them as a toy and do not use them as DD.

It may not be a brand new car but it is pretty damn close.

Plus the Cayman S gets you the FR-S feel (even better really), super nice quiet interior, and A LOT MORE POWER.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (02-06-2015)