follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel-jdmparts View Post
I've try the latest LED bulbs... the LED bulbs will see much wider area, it is even wider than Halogen and much wider than HID.
It doesn't matter where they are made. I have tried all the Japanese ones you're probably referring to. All designs have poor focus. You want light concentrated in one spot, like the halogen projectors are designed. You don't want to add light everywhere. You would need a significant total increase in light anyway if you wanted to distribute more to other areas, which no LED bulbs provide. The optical performance of all LED bulbs in the market, in low beam applications, is much worse than factory halogen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
What distance were these pictures taken?
What filter did you use?
Do you have any pics further away and maybe no filter?
I do not have any more pictures available. These were taken with the car about 8 feet away. A filter was added to more easily show intensity, but that was the only modification. I think this is a very clear representation of the performance of LED bulbs.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
Koa (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #16
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
So if I understand correctly, LEDs like these would be fine to use as DRLs?
I have those, they are very pretty, I recommend them in general, but I wouldn't recommend using them in anything important like the FRS drl location (also your brights). don't get me wrong, they get fairly bright, but not as bright as my LED turn signals. I use mine in my fog lights for cosmetic effects.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #17
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
upgrading the stock projectors and then adding hids will be the best bet. but most people will not upgrade the stock projectors so just throwing an hid kit is better than halogen. LED will only be good if the actual diodes are placed in the same location as the filament in the halogen.

Which is impossible as the filament radiates lights in all directions while the LED has a very narrow viewing angle.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #18
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Let's be honest though, Diode Dynamics lists their XP80 turn signals as "much brighter" than stock when from straight on, they are actually dimmer

They are brighter from other angles, though, so I suppose it's still a valid statement
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #19
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Let's be honest though, Diode Dynamics lists their XP80 turn signals as "much brighter" than stock when from straight on, they are actually dimmer

They are brighter from other angles, though, so I suppose it's still a valid statement
... and that's why we're revising our descriptions right now! Quite a few honest mitakes since a lot of our current descriptions are the same info for a lot of products.

However, to be fair, the bulbs are an increase in output from a worn factory bulb. But normally that wouldn't be the case, that's just because the factory H16 bulb is so low-power, and the XP80 is super high-power.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #20
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Haha, I'm kinda-sorta just being a d1ck, lol. Their total output is much brighter than stock, and from anything other than head on they are VERY bright, but yeah they are actually slightly dimmer when you're directly in line with the reflector. Nothing you guys can do about that, though.

HOWEVER, since you're listening, I do have a suggestion :P

Can you please consider revising the bulb design such that the bulb base on the XP80 bulbs (and probably others too) is white/chrome, rather than the color of the LEDs? I'm assuming you guys did that for easy identification of what color bulb you're holding, but it's not like it's terribly difficult to plug it in and test it. That's the one thing that bugs me about them in my car. Lots of folks (myself included) would much prefer for the LED bulbs to render the lamp housing clear, rather than have a yellow reflection. Not to mention that your bulb base is a bright yellow color, which IMHO is an uglier reflection than the deep, amber color you get with the stock bulb reflection.

Just a thought!
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
BRZNutt (02-02-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 11:09 PM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,864 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Yep, LED lighting is very focused and the design of the housings is completely different than halogen or HID. The most effective designs I've seen are using virtual filaments.

If I had an FRS, I'd be looking at possibly retrofitting a set of Corolla LED projectors in...
Retrofit the 2015 Prius c LED projectors instead. Noticeably better than the Corolla LED. The Prius c ones are both LED low and high beam. Corolla is just low beam.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #22
Poodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Retrofit the 2015 Prius c LED projectors instead. Noticeably better than the Corolla LED. The Prius c ones are both LED low and high beam. Corolla is just low beam.

Usually projectors that are designed for low beam only have better output as they don't "save" the hotspot brightness for the high beam. As the FRS already has a separate high beam...
Old 01-30-2015, 02:12 AM   #23
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,864 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Usually projectors that are designed for low beam only have better output as they don't "save" the hotspot brightness for the high beam. As the FRS already has a separate high beam...
The Prius c goes against that then. To me, they have wider spread, farther throw, and better illumination than the Corolla.

Also, my FR-S has low and high in one projector...
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #24
Kev

Drives: 2014 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I have those, they are very pretty, I recommend them in general, but I wouldn't recommend using them in anything important like the FRS drl location (also your brights). don't get me wrong, they get fairly bright, but not as bright as my LED turn signals. I use mine in my fog lights for cosmetic effects.
The high beam issue doesn't really faze me since I live in an area where I don't really need high beams. Seems like they'd be fine as DRLs and turns.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #25
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
The high beam issue doesn't really faze me since I live in an area where I don't really need high beams. Seems like they'd be fine as DRLs and turns.
If you are going to use them as turn signals, do not get the Bluetooth box, it does not get to ready state fast enough. Also, I managed to blow an RF control box switching power to it to fast, now I'm talking μs fast, but figured it worth mentioning.

I guess why would you use these for turns, turns can only be red or amber as far as I know. However, foregoing high beams, they would make very nice DRLs
Old 01-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #26
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek808@outlook.com View Post
Sigh....I was looking at getting HID's but found out Hawaii law doesn't allow them unless it's installed from factory.
no cop will seriously be able to tell if you retrofitted or those were stock...
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #27
Chimera

Go to a factory, park in the parking lot and plug them in
j/k

but seriously, like Koa said
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek808@outlook.com View Post
Sigh....I was looking at getting HID's but found out Hawaii law doesn't allow them unless it's installed from factory.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #28
Poodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
The Prius c goes against that then. To me, they have wider spread, farther throw, and better illumination than the Corolla.

Also, my FR-S has low and high in one projector...

You have a monogram, which has HID headlights which makes the LED conversation moot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
no cop will seriously be able to tell if you retrofitted or those were stock...

Depends. Most people put blue HID's and don't bend the squirrel finders so it's a nice big blue glare monster coming at you. It's kinda obvious...