follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #43
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
there are a million rational reasons for not buying this car. Or any sportscar for that matter.

Not one of them will matter if it is the car for you. Would not have even occurred in the first place.

Sports cars are a matter of the heart that feed the inner child. Sounds like your inner child might be all growed-up.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
2much (01-22-2015), Tenament05 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #44
Tenament05

Drives: fast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Actually. I was using "up to" numbers.

the sticker on a brz is 22/30. so a combined average of 26 miles/ gallon.

With the california rate of 2.699/gallon. For a brz to travel 100 miles, it will cost $10.380.

For a WRX using the listed 21/28, it would cost $10.138.
Can you math?

It doesn't matter what the rate of anything is.. if we go off paper the wrx falls under the brz in terms of gas mileage. 26mpg for the brz, 24.5mpg for the wrx

EDIT: where do you come up with the 100 mile running cost for the WRX?
Tenament05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #45
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
don't mean to put you on blast Koa, but this is from the WRX manual and not the spark notes version.

!

Except STI

The engine is designed to operate using
unleaded gasoline

with an octane rating

of

91 AKI (95 RON) or higher. If 91 AKI

(95 RON) fuel is not readily available,

unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of

87 AKI (90 RON) may be temporarily

used.

For optimum engine performance and

driveability, it is recommended that you

use premium grade unleaded gasoline.

Regular unleaded gasoline with an octane

rating of 87 AKI (90 RON) or higher may

also be used. Using regular unleaded

gasoline will not be detrimental to engine

durability, nor will it affect your warranty

coverage. However, depending on your

driving habits and conditions, you may

notice a decrease in maximum engine

performance, fuel economy or slight engine

vibration or knocking. If you experience

any of these conditions while using a

lower octane rated fuel, you may want to

return to using 91 AKI (95 RON) octane

rated fuel as soon as possible. Additionally,

if your vehicle knocks heavily or

persistently, the use of 91 AKI (95 RON)

or higher grade unleaded gasoline is

required.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #46
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenament05 View Post
Can you math?

It doesn't matter what the rate of anything is.. if we go off paper the wrx falls under the brz in terms of gas mileage. 26mpg for the brz, 24.5mpg for the wrx

EDIT: where do you come up with the 100 mile running cost for the WRX?

Read the thread before posting. K Thx.

BRZ requires premium fuel.
WRX requires 87 octane.

There is a price difference between the two.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #47
Defuser
Remember

Drives: 2015 Asphalt
OK FirefighterJake, I'll tell you the progression of my preceding three cars to give you an idea of what I drove before I got this car.

In 2006 I got a brand spanking new G35 coupe (loaded). Drove it for three years, really liked the car. Expensive tires. Fairly plush interior, good amount of power, pretty fun to drive, but definitely heavy.

In 2009 I got something a bit more "practical", a new Nissan Maxima SV with tech package. Nice car, decent power, started to drive me nuts with a vibration issue I never resolved despite many trips to both the dealer and local shops.

In late 2012 I got a 2012 Lexus CT200h. Yep, a dressed-up hybrid which I decided would be "practical" due to my 100-mile-a-day commute. Realiable. Cheap tires. BORING.

I saw a FR-S one day and couldn't take my eyes off of it. I drove one. Didn't really care for the spartan interior, but absolutely LOVED how the car took turns like it was on rails, and how LOW it sits.

So I decided, I'm 42, life is too precious to drive 100 miles a day in a boring car. I won't make the mistake of buying a car from a purely practical standpoint ever again, unless I'm left with no other choice.

So I guess what I'm saying is buy a car that puts a smile on your face. Whichever car that may be! (As long as it's realiable of course lol, not suggesting you go all-in on an all-original 1992 RX-7)

Last edited by Defuser; 01-22-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: slight error in my timeline lulz
Defuser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Defuser For This Useful Post:
2much (01-22-2015), Koa (01-22-2015), Pkush (01-23-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #48
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Read the thread before posting. K Thx.

BRZ requires premium fuel.
WRX requires 87 octane.

There is a price difference between the two.
Tahdizzle you want to prove your point so badly...

Speaking as an owner of a turbo vehicle designed for 91 octane, I personally know that running less than 91 octane on a car designed for 91 octane is detrimental. That manual even states if knocking occurs, to switch over. Guess that means its temporary as your engine WILL knock and you WILL retard timing and advance.

Also, the "up to" mileage is NOT 87 octane bro. Your gas mileage WILL suffer. The subaru manual is *****footing around the issue, but in reality gas mileage and performance suffers when using 87. Just admit it already- its a shitty point. Nobody in their right minds would ever drive on 87 octane to save money. laughs all around
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #49
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OP: Sounds like you have the truck for all the essential heavy lifting. I'm sure you realize that the FR-S is a very simple car. Its mission is simple. Every time you drive it ... it reminds you what it's like to drive a driver's car. When I DD mine ... I feel like I have COMPLETE control of the car. It goes where I point it. If I jump into another car or SUV ... I feel like the car is driving me. I actually feel safer in my small FR-S than my wife's large SUV.

If your looking for comfort or practicality .... look elsewhere. If your looking for a fun drive .... get the FR-S.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braces For This Useful Post:
Defuser (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #50
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Tahdizzle you want to prove your point so badly...

Speaking as an owner of a turbo vehicle designed for 91 octane, I personally know that running less than 91 octane on a car designed for 91 octane is detrimental. That manual even states if knocking occurs, to switch over. Guess that means its temporary as your engine WILL knock and you WILL retard timing and advance.

Also, the "up to" mileage is NOT 87 octane bro. Just admit it already- its a shitty point. Nobody in their right minds would ever drive on 87 octane to save money. laughs all around
Koa. is screaming "ITS TURBO!" ROFL.

its not the 90s get over it.

The manual clearly states that 87 octane is not detrimental to you engine and will not void your warranty.

And gas mileage is all dependant on driving habits. If you wanna drive like Koa's hero Paul Walker on 87 octane, more power to you.

Just be rest assured that when they deny your warranty, it will not be because of the octane of fuel.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #51
Defuser
Remember

Jeebus, howabout you two (you know who you are) take your spat to PM's?! I'm all about some off-topic but you guys are getting a bit annoying.
bcj (01-22-2015), Braces (01-22-2015), Koa (01-22-2015), Marx (01-22-2015), Pete156 (01-22-2015), Shark_Bait88 (01-22-2015), Tgionet (01-23-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #52
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:

The manual clearly states that 87 octane is not detrimental to you engine and will not void your warranty.

And gas mileage is all dependant on driving habits. If you wanna drive like Koa's hero Paul Walker on 87 octane, more power to you.

Just be rest assured that when they deny your warranty, it will not be because of the octane of fuel.
Here's my point, plain and simple:

Very few, if any, '15 WRX owners will try to offset the vehicle's running costs by switching to 87 octane.

Thanks for the personal digs. I hate F&F. You don't know what you're talking about and that is apparent. Very apparent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Tenament05 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #53
Defuser
Remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
OP: Sounds like you have the truck for all the essential heavy lifting. I'm sure you realize that the FR-S is a very simple car. Its mission is simple. Every time you drive it ... it reminds you what it's like to drive a driver's car. When I DD mine ... I feel like I have COMPLETE control of the car. It goes where I point it. If I jump into another car or SUV ... I feel like the car is driving me. I actually feel safer in my small FR-S than my wife's large SUV.

If your looking for comfort or practicality .... look elsewhere. If your looking for a fun drive .... get the FR-S.

Very well put. When I drive my wife's CX-7 Turbo, I feel like I'm driving a cloud. HIGH and NUMB.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #54
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Here's my point, plain and simple:

Very few, if any, '15 WRX owners will fill it up with 87 octane WITH THE INTENTION OF saving money.

Thanks for the personal digs. I hate F&F. You don't know what you're talking about and that is apparent. Very apparent.

And you're assuming that all owners are buying a WRX to be Ken Block. Which is defintely not the case.

Just like there are 80 year olds driving a twin, there are people who are buying a WRX who like the car and will in fact use 87 octane, and that is perfectly fine. And yes, they are using 87 octane because 91 is more expensive.

Get over it.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #55
Tenament05

Drives: fast
Quote:

Koa has a great point while yours is that the wrx is cheaper to own because you can drive it on 87 octane?

lol no offesne but he has you beat there

Tenament05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tenament05 For This Useful Post:
Koa (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #56
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
And you're assuming that all owners are buying a WRX to be Ken Block. Which is defintely not the case.

Just like there are 80 year olds driving a twin, there are people who are buying a WRX who like the car and will in fact use 87 octane, and that is perfectly fine. And yes, they are using 87 octane because 91 is more expensive.

Get over it.
I'm not assuming anything past that it's a dumb thing to try and realistically say that one should buy the wrx over the twin and put 87 octane in it to justify the outlay costs.

YMMV. Over it.

Tags
in it, put a sock