follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #43
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,577 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
One may be legal where you are, while the other one isn't...
Understood. California and other places can be a pain when it comes to car modifications. Especially when you factor in needing CARB certifications for modifications and altering any of the catalytic converters in the exhaust system can be deemed not road legal. It always blew my mind living in California that even though it has such a huge automotive enthusiast footprint, it's such a pain to own a modified vehicle.

I mentioned the header for as a comparison though in regards to "bang for buck". It doesn't really apply to the OP since he already has forced induction. So, $1,000 for a header and tune yields a change that is easily noticeable according to everybody that does it. People say time and time again that it's probably the best modification for the money.

In comparison, wheels and tires, which will end up costing around the same, if not more (depending on brands) will make a noticeable difference as well. Is it the same as a header and tune? Eh, probably not; but I'm willing to bet it would still be worth it in the end.

I went from 17x9s with 215/45s to 18x9.5s with 265/35s and I definitely felt the car was more sluggish after doing so. I'm actually going back to 17s now.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #44
FReSh
Dirt Trackin'

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you're looking for responsiveness and quicker spooling/revving coming out of corners you'd be better off getting a light clutch/flywheel setup rather than changing the wheels. That is, assuming you don't already have a decent aftermarket clutch/flywheel.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #45
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydaral View Post
The question was not specific though, it was: "I want to know how much benefit is it really to go to a 16 lbs or so wheel" and "how much of a difference does it make", how do we quantify that?

I tried to quantify it in power, others have guessed (?) how much time it will cut from track times.

Acceleration before the turbo kicks in was mentioned, the only way to quantify that without a practical test is to determine the extra power used to turn the heavier wheels, with the lighter wheels, this power would then be used to propel the car instead.
Quantifying this for his use would involve doing some timed acceleration tests from a dig and from a roll at various speeds/RPM, and seeing the repeatable differences. The second test would be stopping distances. I think no one goes out to buy heavy wheels and light wheels just to test. They just go out and buy the light ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I can only offer my subjective feedback, but when I went from a 20lbs (18") wheel to a 15lbs (17") wheel I was able to immediately feel the difference in acceleration and ride comfort. So yeah...
That may have to do with the tire itself as well.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #46
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The size and grip of the tire has much more effect than the weight of the rim - but a heavy rim vs a light rim will feel different. Really depends how you drive and what application (autox, track, street, mudbog) to see if the difference is worth the added expense.

Note that some very lightweight rims are designed for track use - ie smooth surfaces without potholes! The wheels may work great on a track but on real streets could have a higher failure rate - either cracks or bends. And of course not all lightweight (or heavy!) wheels are created equal.

I see a bunch of people running very wide wheels = heavy. Even with lightweight wheels, a 9.5" wide rim will be much heavier than an 8" wide one. And then tires too - wider tires equals more weight.

So when deciding if light wheels are worth the expense, think about grip as well, and how much tire you actually need. And then remember a Pilot SS in 235 width might have the same grip as an S-Drive in 275 width. And remember more width doesn't automatically equal more grip.

Lots of factors. I'd say research and buy the right wheel / tire setup that is right for your application.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #47
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,233 Times in 705 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Seriously guys, go look up the Grassroots Motorsports article on this exact subject.

They have quantitative evidence, track times, dyno, etc.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #48
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I hate having the same wheels everyone has.... I am looking at TWS T66-F which are even lighter than RPF1s. But, they have two downsides. One more expensive than my current wheels, second, uglier than my current wheels. That's why I'm trying to gauge real actual quantifiable benefit of them.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I don't think RPF1s are a good choice for the twins. They are light, but they deform easier. This is not very good for hard cornering ...

In general, going as much light as possible is not always a good rule. Weight is a factor, but another factor is stifness! You have to find a golden rule between both .
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-30-2014), Sportsguy83 (12-31-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #49
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Seriously guys, go look up the Grassroots Motorsports article on this exact subject.

They have quantitative evidence, track times, dyno, etc.
People here don't seen to like that information.
OkieSnuffBox (12-30-2014)
Old 01-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #50
AmongstFrienemies

Drives: 2015 BRZ Dark Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I'm an Aerospace Engineer (at least, that's my degree) and so I shall settle this debate once and for all:

Microwave.
One cannot simply claim to be a professional in a field they have yet to become qualified in, let alone have any experience in....
AmongstFrienemies is offline   Reply With Quote