follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android MHL/HDMI integration?

Has anyone tried out any of the MHL compatible receivers? I'm looking at the Kenwood DNN991HD in particular. Would love to be able to control Spotify and Torque from the head unit. If it matters, I'm using a Note 4

From what I've read, AppRadio connection is iffy, and the MHL/HDMI connection is much more fluid.
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
AppRadio will only work for apps written for AppRadio (I don't think Torque is one of the ones Pioneer will be making available).

The MHL/HDMI connection is for video output for the most part, you don't gain control of the phone.

If your Note is rooted there is a hacked version of AppRadio called ARUnchained that works wonderfully. I had it on a Pioneer DVD unit that could do AppRadio (it works on any of the Pioneer NEX units now) and it was fantastic. A little Tasker automation and whenever I connected the MHL cable the home screen would rotate to landscape, the phone would dim to max and a different home launcher would take over. From that point on you didn't need the phone, you used the head unit touchscreen as if it was your phone. You have to be willing to read up on some forums, but I totally think it is worthwhile provided you are savvy enough to be able to root your phone (which these days is a single click endeavor).
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
unsurety (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
toast

Just read up on that head unit. The MHL input is definitely only for video in, no control.

For that price I would get the Pioneer AVIC NEX8000 and have full control of the phone (again, providing you can do root-level things on your phone).
unsurety (12-04-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Just read up on that head unit. The MHL input is definitely only for video in, no control.

For that price I would get the Pioneer AVIC NEX8000 and have full control of the phone (again, providing you can do root-level things on your phone).
So with the MHL input, would audio be wired, or wireless (Bluetooth)?
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
toast

When you use the MHL connection you are outputting the full video from your phone to the head unit with the wire along with audio signals. ARUnchained hacks the bluetooth connection and sends the touch screen commands to your phone via bluetooth.

When you don't feel like hooking up the wire, you still have full control of Pandora and Google Play Music via bluetooth (as well as all the basic stuff like answering the phone using the head unit).
unsurety (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
azian_advanced
*****istrator

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Probably not what you're looking for, but I have an Xperia Z2 currently docked to a Sony MSP-N1BT and it has been working REALLY well for me. Just thought I'd shed some light on a different in-car android alternative.
SC10N FR-S #435 of 2500
azian_advanced is offline   Reply With Quote