follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #15
ohnoitsthefuzz

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6 Speed Raven Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Honestly, I doubt there's much difference between the streetlite and racelite. Both are considerably lighter than stock.

I've read reports of some clutches clattering, although an easy fix for that is to simply raise your idle.

I also have read about warnings of running lightened components on both front and rear of the engine, something about beating up the bearings.

The flywheel makes the bigger difference anyways.
Yeah I have heard that too, and I believe that is in regards to running a lightened flywheel and crank pulley. Without the dampening at least on the crank pulley side you get increased vibration which I think can lead to increased wear premature bearing failure. I think I should be alright running both flywheel and driveshaft together.
ohnoitsthefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #16
Xinshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsthefuzz View Post
Probably end up going with this clutch. How many miles do you currently have on it?
About 3k so far. Just put the snow tires on the car yesterday (and it flurried today, good timing!) so I'm interested to see how it performs in the snow haha
Current mods: OFT Stage 2 (w/93 oct), OFH, Perrin Resonated catback, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Perrin drop-in filter, Avo silicone inlet, Mishimoto catch can, Grimmspeed MCB, Perrin crank pulley, Nameless overpipe/downpipe combo, DBA slotted rotors, Ferrodo brake pads, goodrich SS brake lines, DOT5 synthetic brake fluid.
Xinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #17
Xinshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah I have heard that too, and I believe that is in regards to running a lightened flywheel and crank pulley. Without the dampening at least on the crank pulley side you get increased vibration which I think can lead to increased wear premature bearing failure. I think I should be alright running both flywheel and driveshaft together.
You should be fine with driveshaft and clutch together. I did run the Perrin LCP, but I changed back to stock with I got the flywheel to avoid any issues. Been peaches and cream so far!
Current mods: OFT Stage 2 (w/93 oct), OFH, Perrin Resonated catback, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Perrin drop-in filter, Avo silicone inlet, Mishimoto catch can, Grimmspeed MCB, Perrin crank pulley, Nameless overpipe/downpipe combo, DBA slotted rotors, Ferrodo brake pads, goodrich SS brake lines, DOT5 synthetic brake fluid.
Xinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #18
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There's a few threads about clutches with reports of issues, about a number of brands, including both ACT and Excedy.

Complaints are the same, some rattling, and some hanging up, making 1st hard to engage.

I know one person personally who is running the Excedy and having issues. Hanging up pretty bad, with I think just a couple thousand miles on it, and he's tried adjusting and it's not that. I talked with him just the other day about it.

I would read up everything you can about both brands. Also check reports from other platforms (WRX, S2000, etc.) you'll get an idea about the brands and their records.

I don't know which is better, but I'm happy with the ACT so far.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #19
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,814 Times in 19,087 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Shameless plug - OP, before you do anything else to the stock clutch, http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2016411

Fucking magical.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
ohnoitsthefuzz (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #20
ohnoitsthefuzz

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6 Speed Raven Black
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Shameless plug - OP, before you do anything else to the stock clutch, http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2016411

Fucking magical.
Thanks for the link. Can't believe I missed this one. Sorry in advance for a possible dumb question (I'm on my 16th hour at work). Considering that with the slave cylinder change a smaller range of motion is needed for the master to travel...would any issues arise with a different clutch/PP? I will look into doing this but I still don't want to put used clutch back in with a brand new flywheel.
ohnoitsthefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #21
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,814 Times in 19,087 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Can't believe I missed this one. Sorry in advance for a possible dumb question (I'm on my 16th hour at work). Considering that with the slave cylinder change a smaller range of motion is needed for the master to travel...would any issues arise with a different clutch/PP? I will look into doing this but I still don't want to put used clutch back in with a brand new flywheel.
Not at all. I woke up planning my apology for overlooking higher HP aftermarket setups. It does increase pedal pressure because it lowers leverage.

Very much worth considering! Do it last if you still find yourself struggling with a long engagement arc.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
ohnoitsthefuzz (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #22
degrees

Drives: 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have an ACT ProLite fly and HDSS clutch in mine with the smaller slave and haven't found any issues DD'ing my car since last weekend's installation of the slave. The clutch/fly are about 1.5 years old. Other than minor gear lash noise from the lack of vibration dampening in the fly, I can't find anything to complain about. My rear end has a 4.67 final drive as well.

I would not recommend a lightweight crank pulley in conjunction with a lightweight fly. That's asking for bearing damage. Keep the crank pulley stock.
37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 37 For This Useful Post:
ohnoitsthefuzz (11-14-2014), Ultramaroon (11-14-2014)