follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #29
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlights View Post
ive been doing my research too as im in pretty much the same boat, and PTuning's kit stands out to me because they are making around 290whp on 6.5psi of boost. I haven't seen other kits that can achieve that power within the low amount of boost.

Every kit makes about the same power at the same boost on the same turbos. The only real differences are spool/response and more importantly the tuning going along with it. It's the same engine and the intake, piping, and IC have a negligible effect on overall power.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #30
diodelphi

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Crawford turbo jdm vf36 sti is not cheap , around 2500k .
Vf36 used in wrx 2002 -2005 and it's fast.
Their price is high and i find no dyno plot but remember crawford is the only tuner that is over 20 year on subaru engines tuning.
I had no experience with their turbo but i regard their experience on subaru engines.
Crawford says we could make 300whp on stock engine with their turbo kit.
With 10psi boost on e85 it give 320whp with boost controller.
Price is alittle higher than other turbos.
Remember they make twin scroll turbos with more torque over power band.
The only thing i do not know is their ecu tuning .
Maybe so good may be not good i do not know but i think we could tune on dyno , no problem.
I really like to shop their kits.
diodelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #31
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Plenty of people hit 320 on pump gas and just under 500on e85 reliably... Craw fords kit is horrible, this isn't an ej motor, it is a whole different animal... There is a reason you don't have people all over the forums with any actual experience praising them. It's always fanboys quoting crawfords "years of experience with Subarus." Name for me again a Subaru before the BRZ that had direct injection.... What about 12.5:1 compression.... Two injectors per cylinder... Angled rods... Real wheel drive?!?!? Ohh wait none if that matters, it has a Subaru badge so Crawford must be the bestestest... /sarcasm
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:11 AM   #32
diodelphi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBRZ View Post
Plenty of people hit 320 on pump gas and just under 500on e85 reliably... Craw fords kit is horrible, this isn't an ej motor, it is a whole different animal... There is a reason you don't have people all over the forums with any actual experience praising them. It's always fanboys quoting crawfords "years of experience with Subarus." Name for me again a Subaru before the BRZ that had direct injection.... What about 12.5:1 compression.... Two injectors per cylinder... Angled rods... Real wheel drive?!?!? Ohh wait none if that matters, it has a Subaru badge so Crawford must be the bestestest... /sarcasm
Again again i say i had no experience with their kit but we can not judge people on surface.
I think even with e85 or race gas it is more logical at first we reduce compression ratio then turbocharge engine.
Crawford was first tuner did it .
Brz engine as i know is 80% subaru 20% toyota.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:23 AM   #33
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
That 20% is the most important part... The d4s .. The game changer
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:18 AM   #34
diodelphi

I really think we could judge if we test their kit.
You think it's crap i think maybe good kit but both of us may think wrong.
Hope to find a real review
Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #35
jdnguyen

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10 and 2010 Camry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've done some research myself on this and have directly talk to Quirt Crawford. The major difference between Crawford's kit and the rest would be that it was developed to go with their built short block. The entire kit is really around the $15k mark with the built short block. This also includes every supporting mod you need ready to go. Including a custom built clutch, beefier axles, full exhaust, tune, and updates. Also, there is no core exchange on the short block, so you could go back to stock. As far as power numbers, it does "only" make around 450whp to the wheels on e85 but it builds power quick. At 4500 RPM you hit 400+ whp and make it all the way to redline which you can rev up to nearly 9K also you hit peak torque at 4500 rpm at about 450lbs. My friend has a kit from full blown and made 400whp but it was not nearly as quick and only mad 299lbs ft of torque. Peak boost at 28psi comes on about 3500 rpm. It's a great turbo for the application and makes great power quick and holds it. Perfect for the track, when I say track I mean road course not drag strip lol.
jdnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #36
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBRZ View Post
That means nothing, i'm pretty sure the mods ban 6 people everyday before breakfast just cause
Ironic.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #37
cdrazic93
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnguyen View Post
I've done some research myself on this and have directly talk to Quirt Crawford. The major difference between Crawford's kit and the rest would be that it was developed to go with their built short block. The entire kit is really around the $15k mark with the built short block. This also includes every supporting mod you need ready to go. Including a custom built clutch, beefier axles, full exhaust, tune, and updates. Also, there is no core exchange on the short block, so you could go back to stock. As far as power numbers, it does "only" make around 450whp to the wheels on e85 but it builds power quick. At 4500 RPM you hit 400+ whp and make it all the way to redline which you can rev up to nearly 9K also you hit peak torque at 4500 rpm at about 450lbs. My friend has a kit from full blown and made 400whp but it was not nearly as quick and only mad 299lbs ft of torque. Peak boost at 28psi comes on about 3500 rpm. It's a great turbo for the application and makes great power quick and holds it. Perfect for the track, when I say track I mean road course not drag strip lol.
With a built block you can make a VF turbo hit that psi very quickly. It's not uncommon for that kind of spool characteristics from a shortblock with a lower Cr.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 11-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #38
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Does your buddy with the Full Blown kit have a $10,000 motor build as well? Does your buddy with the Full Blown kit run 28 psi? The Full Blown kit is capable of making way over 400 whp without the additional Crawford cost. What you don't reason is the Crawford kit uses a little baby Subaru turbo and runs a ton of boost which is what gives you that momentary high peak torque value and then it starts trailing off hard as RPM increases.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #39
jdnguyen

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10 and 2010 Camry
I think you already know the answer to that question. He had spent a total of $8k with supporting mods and after a tune. I think if you added a built short block to that you're going to be well over 10k said and done. Full blown is another great company to work with. I've never said they weren't. Just thought I would share some info from what I've received from Crawford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #40
cdrazic93
Junior

And were explaining the benifits of other kits outweigh these benefits from crawford.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #41
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
You know the Crawford turbo kit falls on it's face at around 5500-6000rpm right? It doesn't hold the power to redline as you say, the turbo is too small for that. Also I have never seen him quote 450 "wheel" horsepower, and I've asked him several time and he won't answer me. This setup will be extremely hard to drive on a road course due to it's sudden torque delivery down low in the rev band causing wheel spin corner exit, where as any other properly sized kit will make boost and torque more progressively. His kit is made to make the car feel faster than it actually is on the street but any of the other kits besides the fa20club(which would be blown up on the side of the road) would run away from it.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstik-sportech For This Useful Post:
Frs300 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #42
TkTk

Drives: 2014 TRD GT86 CUP, 2014 991 GT3
Quote:

It will never reach the numbers you have stated as they use very small turbo, stock fuel pump and modified stock injectors (drilled). on top of that you will have to deal with poor fitment, missing parts, and delay. If I had to do it all over again I would choose FBM without hesitation.
TkTk is offline   Reply With Quote