follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Droid

Drives: 04 BMW 525i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Decided on a series blue..suggestions needed

As this will be my first car that I will fully own myself, I have decided to truly make it mine and complete a few modifications on it.

First off, it will be a white series blue (Any OTD pricing for series blue would be appreciated). Im thinking of continuing with a black/white contrasting look therefore I think I'm going with:

20% tint (suggestions appreciated for tint % as I live in MD) Smoked valenti taillights along with the matching smoked reverse light.

On top of that I was looking for other mod suggestions..first of which I wanted a back-up camera that is compatible with the stock HU.

Lastly, I was considering blacking out the headlights along with buying lowering springs.

If anyone has any input on any of these ideas whether it be: where to buy, how to install, alternatives to my suggestions, and any ADDITIONAL mods that you all would do. Mainly cosmetic as I do not want to void the manufacture's warranty so soon.

Thank you for all the help in advance!
Droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,032 Times in 2,341 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I never cared about it before owning a BRZ, but LED dome and puddle lights work great with the Series.Blue interior. Cheap off of Amazon and incredibly easy to install. Just be sure not to put the puddle light assemblies back until the bulbs are in the right way and illuminate.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid View Post
20% tint (suggestions appreciated for tint % as I live in MD) Smoked valenti taillights along with the matching smoked reverse light.
Maryland's limit is 35% all around. 20% tint will get you tickets.

http://tintlaws.com/maryland-window-tint-law.php

If you drive in neighboring states (which a lot of MD people do), keep in mind that VA's limit is 50%, DC's is 70%, PA's is 70% and DE's is 70%. Cops usually will not give tint tickets for out of state vehicles, but they do often use it as an excuse to stop and mess with drivers. If a cop sees your hot car and wants probable cause to pull you over, MD's 35% tint would grab his attention. I would keep a copy of the MD tint law in your car, along with the invoice for the tint job showing that you comply.

I would suggest ceramic tint, as it has the best heat rejection without interfering with your electronics.

Quote:
Lastly, I was considering blacking out the headlights...
Are you talking about blacking the lenses or the reflectors? Blacking the lenses is ricey as hell and looks like shit. I don't understand why anybody would want to degrade the performance of their headlights with that garbage.

Blackened reflectors can look all right if you do it right and leave the lenses clear. A lot of cars are coming stock with the black reflectors to get that high contrast look.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Maryland's limit is 35% all around. 20% tint will get you tickets.

http://tintlaws.com/maryland-window-tint-law.php

If you drive in neighboring states (which a lot of MD people do), keep in mind that VA's limit is 50%, DC's is 70%, PA's is 70% and DE's is 70%. Cops usually will not give tint tickets for out of state vehicles, but they do often use it as an excuse to stop and mess with drivers. If a cop sees your hot car and wants probable cause to pull you over, MD's 35% tint would grab his attention. I would keep a copy of the MD tint law in your car, along with the invoice for the tint job showing that you comply.

I would suggest ceramic tint, as it has the best heat rejection without interfering with your electronics.

Are you talking about blacking the lenses or the reflectors? Blacking the lenses is ricey as hell and looks like shit. I don't understand why anybody would want to degrade the performance of their headlights with that garbage.

Blackened reflectors can look all right if you do it right and leave the lenses clear.
I was hoping to risk it, but upon further research it seems as if your advice is what I would adhere to.

I did NOT mean blacking the lenses, I hate the ricer look as well. I was trying to blacken the reflectors, apologies for using improper terminology.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
I never cared about it before owning a BRZ, but LED dome and puddle lights work great with the Series.Blue interior. Cheap off of Amazon and incredibly easy to install. Just be sure not to put the puddle light assemblies back until the bulbs are in the right way and illuminate.
Sorry for making two posts - forgot to multi-quote. This does look like a pretty nice mod, I will definitely look into it. This is the type of stuff I'm looking for - thanks!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I did NOT mean blacking the lenses, I hate the ricer look as well. I was trying to blacken the reflectors, apologies for using improper terminology.
Good. The blacked out reflectors really can look good if done right.

I would suggest that you get the car and drive it for a while before spending a lot of money on too many mods. My few mods have come about because I was driving the car and said, "Man, I wish the car had..."

For example, I found the stock knee rest uncomfortable and was looking for some sort of padding to put there when I realized I could buy padded replacements. I bought a Scion armrest (still waiting to be installed) because my arm position wasn't that comfortable. I have clear side markers (with amber lamps) because the look just grew on me over time. Same with my Tom's tails.

On the other hand, I've resisted lowering, widening and making it louder. You might want to drive it a while before lowering it to make sure it's not low enough already, especially in an area like yours that gets snow. There's something to be said for keeping the car practical, especially if it's your only transportation.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Good. The blacked out reflectors really can look good if done right.

I would suggest that you get the car and drive it for a while before spending a lot of money on too many mods. My few mods have come about because I was driving the car and said, "Man, I wish the car had..."

For example, I found the stock knee rest uncomfortable and was looking for some sort of padding to put there when I realized I could buy padded replacements. I bought a Scion armrest (still waiting to be installed) because my arm position wasn't that comfortable. I have clear side markers (with amber lamps) because the look just grew on me over time. Same with my Tom's tails.

On the other hand, I've resisted lowering, widening and making it louder. You might want to drive it a while before lowering it to make sure it's not low enough already, especially in an area like yours that gets snow. There's something to be said for keeping the car practical, especially if it's your only transportation.
Very valid points and I think I will do that for all of the mod's aside from the taillights and the reverse light - I think the valenti's and tom's both look better than the stock as I think the stock makes it have a ricer look with the chrome (just me, though). Aside from that, the tint, and potentially the rearview camera, I think you are correct in saying to wait it out and see what I "feel." Thanks man!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
qitorr

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I second the interior LEDs. I got mine from @DiodeDynamics and they are a little more expensive than the cheap ones on ebay but they are quality stuff, come with a year warranty if one fails early. It was probably the most noticeable early modification for me and it really makes the blue interior shine.

Another thought would be to get a knockoff "diffuser" for very little. I think a vendor here has them for $60 or $65 shipped. In my view it completes the look of the rear end and with the 2015s the stock tips are no longer the anemic ones on the previous years.
qitorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
On top of that I was looking for other mod suggestions..first of which I wanted a back-up camera that is compatible with the stock HU.
I installed a Rydeen Duo on my 2015 without any problems.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
qitorr

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Oh, one other thing. I would look into getting a set of WeatherTech mats. 3D Maxpider also makes some all weather mats that look sleeker but I have their version in the back (hauling two kids in the back) and prefer the WeatherTech.
qitorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #11
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
I installed a Rydeen Duo on my 2015 without any problems.
Finally picked one up did you? Cool
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
Droid

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Now I'm considering a limited vs a series.blue and using the extra money for mods..
The Following User Says Thank You to Droid For This Useful Post:
x1UP (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #13
AlexBinJackson

Drives: 2015 Brz Blue Series Pearl White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Decided on a series blue..suggestions needed

Droid

Think I paid around 31900 otd for my blue series, and weather tech mats are the best and worth the money
AlexBinJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexBinJackson For This Useful Post:
calidus (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #14
calidus

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Seconding weather tech mats and I would clear bra it.
calidus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calidus For This Useful Post:
AlexBinJackson (11-10-2014)