follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
JoeMartin

Drives: 2013 Black Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Air bag question

So I bought a rebuilt FRS a few weeks back. Been enjoying it very much, wonderful car to drive.
However... My airbag light had been on since I got the car in.

Took it to a shop and had the airbag codes pulled:
B1801 -- Open in D Squib Circuit
B1811 -- Open in D Squib (Dual Stage - 2nd Step) Circuit
B1901 -- Open in P/T Squib (right) Circuit
B1906 -- Open in P/T Squib (left) Circuit

Finally had some time today to tear the car apart and investigate...

Side curtain air bags were not plugged in.
Have not checked seats yet.

Pulled the steering wheel bag... And it was just a stuffed bag in to a cover. No clock spring or detonator.

Air bags had been deployed as it was a front end wreck that totaled it previously.

My questions:
Do I need a new Airbag ECU?
Is replacing the steering wheel bag as simple as just plug and play with a new one?
Do I need to do anything to "program" the new ECU if one is necessary?

I have a TIS cable and disc coming in from China, should be here... Probably next week.
JoeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
They replaced three separate things when my airbag deployed. So I would say yes.
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #3
djmm

Drives: toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I sure hope the previous owner was honest enough to let you know that the Airbag has been deployed and currently not operational. That's a matter of life or death there.
djmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
If unsure what you need to do take it in and have a pro deal with the bags. They can (and do) take off limbs and kill people if not handled properly.
If the car was Safety Checked (or whatever the U.S. equivalent is) then hit up whoever did that as there is no way it should pass without functioning airbags!
Old 11-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
JoeMartin

Drives: 2013 Black Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If unsure what you need to do take it in and have a pro deal with the bags. They can (and do) take off limbs and kill people if not handled properly.
If the car was Safety Checked (or whatever the U.S. equivalent is) then hit up whoever did that as there is no way it should pass without functioning airbags!
I have contacted the seller, a rebuilding dealership place down in Miami.
He is working on getting me new bags and ECM for it, and then will be paying to have it installed at a local dealer.

Apparently down here in Florida whenever it comes to a rebuilt car they don't actually check to make sure the air bags have been replaced, even though they were deployed.
I bought it knowing the bags had been deployed and that it was rebuilt... I was just mislead regarding their replacement.
My side air bags are still fully functioning looking and in tact, but the steering wheel has no detonator on it any more and is just a bag stuffed in to the cover.
If I had fully known the air bags had not been completely replaced, I would not have purchased the car, but that's another story.
JoeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMartin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMartin View Post
I have contacted the seller, a rebuilding dealership place down in Miami.
He is working on getting me new bags and ECM for it, and then will be paying to have it installed at a local dealer.

Apparently down here in Florida whenever it comes to a rebuilt car they don't actually check to make sure the air bags have been replaced, even though they were deployed.
I bought it knowing the bags had been deployed and that it was rebuilt... I was just mislead regarding their replacement.
My side air bags are still fully functioning looking and in tact, but the steering wheel has no detonator on it any more and is just a bag stuffed in to the cover.
If I had fully known the air bags had not been completely replaced, I would not have purchased the car, but that's another story.
As long as they cover the costs no big deal. At least you didn't find out they didn't work the hard way!
Ultramaroon (11-04-2014)