follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
ovm_catalyst
Jax86Club

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OVM_Catalyst's 2015 WRB BRZ Premium MT - #BAT86; Enough to Cry Over

[Warning: Wall of text incoming, but continue if you'd like to hear how I decided on going Premium, and how a father made a grown ass kid cry]

I drove a 1995 Toyota 4Runner throughout highschool, and a 1997 Acura CL 2.2 throughout college. I've followed this car pretty much since it entered the market; hooned 'em in any racing game I played, dropped by the dealership to stare at them every other month for a better part of 2 years... It's safe to say I had quite a lust for the twins.

When I started college, my parents bribed me to do my best and that a car was the prize at the bottom of the cereal box

Fast forward, I graduate from a 4 year university with my bachelors, and my parents pull the classic switcharoo, "You're graduating! We're very proud of you! Now get a job if you want that car!" Can't say I didn't see it coming, haha. My older brother thought it was pretty BS, since my parents buttered me up throughout my college career, and I would be the only child in the family to graduate college... but i digress.

I land a job in my field of study, and the saving began! I was fortunate enough to have my college tuition funded by a couple of scholarships and a prepaid program (future parents, parents - great investment if you're on the fence... lol), so I didn't have any loans to pay off, so I was fully okay with financing.

Fast forward again: after a graduation party, a few paychecks, and a newfound discovery that my late grandmother left me a few thousand as a gift for my (then, future) college graduation... I armed myself with excel spreadsheets of lowball/realistic/fuck-that pricing for each BRZ model. I was pushed by my brother to go Series.Blue, or at least limited, but I wanted to keep my monthly payments low. I secured a 2.29% APR 72 month loan from my credit union that I bank with, so I already knew what i wanted to do as far as monthlies.

Ultimately I decided on the 2015 WRB Premium MT.

I was really torn but I looked at what I was going to be missing (AC, heated seats, push to start, fogs)

AC: sure the instrumentation panel doesn't look high tech, but it's whatever. It's a small car, if you want it cold, it'll get cold fast

Seats: I'm from florida, don't need the heated seats. And if I'm cold in the winter, car will get hot from the heater real quick if I want it to. Lol. Also I really liked the cloth. My brother has a 2011 WRX and he's envious of my seats lol

Keyless entry/Push to start: probably the hardest thing to add on, aftermarket wise. This was probably the biggest deal for me. Push to start was a cool thing I wanted. But I drove around my brother's WRX and I just so satisfied from the simple turning of a key to crank the car.
Keyless entry: shit would give me an anxiety attack because I'm the type to pull the handle before I walk away from a car to check if it's locked.

Fogs: I could install myself for cheap. Lol

Now, here's where I'll get a little personal: my father and I have a very particular relationship. School and work kept us very busy and really only get to bond on the weekends. Growing up as an Asian-American, i strove to ensure that I didn't disappoint my stoic father. My dad is a very simple man, and more importantly he's a retired military, don't-bullshit-me kind of guy. He scoffed at the idea of me spending anything more than $22,000 on a car, and he insisted to accompany me on any trip I make to the dealership.

I didn't want him to know how much I was really going to spend, so I trekked to the dealership on my own a couple of times.

Then the day finally came... my 1997 Acura CL 2.2 with 278,000 miles finally bit the dust on my way home from work. Busted radiator. I called my brother to tell him that I'd need his help in getting some water to top off my radiator, and to meet me at the dealership.

I hammer down a number that I was satisfied with and I'm ready to do the deal. I went around closing time, so unfortunately I'd have to wait until the next day to finish paperwork, but my brother got there just in time to see me make the "this is the final price" handshake.

My brother gives me a man-hug, and proceeds to drop a little bit of a bomb on me: "Yeah, Dad was kind of sad that you didn't tell him you were coming here. He wanted to be a part of it." My heart sank. A moment that was supposed to be full of smiles and rapid depreciation of value was soiled by the thought that I really upset my Dad. I only thought of this moment as a purely retail experience, but I failed to realize that to my Dad that this was the moment that his youngest son is buying his first brand new car.

I leave the dealership with my brother to go to the grocery store and I'm fighting back tears - I'm genuinely distraught after realizing the magnitude of the situation. We get my dinosaur running again and I speed home.

I found my Dad fresh out of the shower with some whitey-tighties and an undershirt on and give him a huge hug while i burst into tears. I gave no fucks and cry my heart out, apologizing for not telling him that I was buying the car. He really sees that I'm upset and embraces my hug and tells me that everything is all good, and that he's proud of me, and most importantly... wheres the car? lol

At first I was upset that I didn't get to drive off the lot today, but saw it as a blessing that I had to wait, so now I could invite my parents to come along as I finish up the paperwork.

The next day comes, the whole family comes down to the dealership, papers are signed, smiles all around... I'm now the proud owner of a 2015 World Rally Blue BRZ Premium MT!

----------
PHEW! Now that that's out of the way, here she is!

I named my car Lola, a common nickname for Grandmother, to pay homage to my late grandma who left me a little bit of money to go towards a new car. BAT86, as well, to incorporate both of my grandparents' initials into the name of the car.

Current Mods:
  • Open Flash Tablet Stage 1 93 Oct Tune
  • JDM Clear Side Markers from rallysportdirect
  • iJDMtoy white LED side marker bulbs
  • [ame="http://www.amazon.com/3D-MAXpider-Custom-All-Weather-Select/dp/B00IBOKTTO"]3D MAXpider weatherproof floor mats[/ame]
  • 18% Tint
  • Invidia N1 Catback
  • Smoked Valenti Tail Lights
  • Window Rain Guards

Short List:
  • Rays Gramlights 57DR 17x9 +35 on order from RavSpec
  • Tein Flex Z coilovers, whenever those get released stateside. lol

If you made it all the way to the bottom, I salute you! And uh, I'm sorry this shit was long. lol

Last edited by ovm_catalyst; 05-22-2015 at 11:56 AM.
ovm_catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ovm_catalyst For This Useful Post:
636 (10-16-2014), aaguilar3 (10-23-2014), Pinoywhiz (10-23-2014), Re~Mix (05-06-2015), shiumai (05-06-2015), Texas BRZ (10-16-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
JM9ISM

Drives: 2014 BRZ WRB LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Nice story!!!
JM9ISM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #3
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Many congrats to you and your family... I'm very closely knit with my household as well, so I can understand.

Btw, may I please request additional images of your BRZ? Mine should be arriving in a few weeks so I'm fueled up with the excitement.

Also, I admire that you waited so long for the right time to make the decision on acquiring your BRZ... What do you like most about it?

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 10-16-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Grammar edit
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
ovm_catalyst
Jax86Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas BRZ View Post
Many congrats to you and your family... I'm very closely knit with my household as well, so I can understand.

Btw, may I please request additional images of your BRZ? Mine should be arriving in a few weeks so I'm fueled up with the excitement.

Also, I admire that you waited so long for the right time to make the decision on acquiring your BRZ... What do you like most about it?
I get out of work early today, so I'll be sure to snap some detailed photos for you!

To be honest, I didn't even give the FR-S a chance because I'm a brand whore. Don't get me wrong, I don't disrespect any other twin owners, but as far as stuff that I buy - I usually abide by brand loyalty (Nike, Oakley, select Apple products etc).

I really love the feeling of driving this car, it feels like im driving a go-kart! I can resonate with most YouTube reviews, except for the power complaints. Coming from cars with no power (an SUV and an ancient Acura, well VTEC, but whatever) ANY power was power to me. The torque dip is real, but I haven't found an occasion where it's let me down, yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to ovm_catalyst For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovm_catalyst View Post
I get out of work early today, so I'll be sure to snap some detailed photos for you!

To be honest, I didn't even give the FR-S a chance because I'm a brand whore. Don't get me wrong, I don't disrespect any other twin owners, but as far as stuff that I buy - I usually abide by brand loyalty (Nike, Oakley, select Apple products etc).

I really love the feeling of driving this car, it feels like im driving a go-kart! I can resonate with most YouTube reviews, except for the power complaints. Coming from cars with no power (an SUV and an ancient Acura, well VTEC, but whatever) ANY power was power to me. The torque dip is real, but I haven't found an occasion where it's let me down, yet.
Thank you. Makes sense, and I'd honestly have to agree, power is solid within this car.

Texas BRZ
Old 10-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Great story
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
FSpeed

Drives: 14' WhiteOut FR-S
Cool story bro.

No but really that was a pleasure to read. Welcome to the club.
FSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Gusto
Valley 86 SoCal !

Drives: whiteout frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Nice story man, makes me realize my dad and I have alot to work on......
Gusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
ovm_catalyst
Jax86Club

Quote:
Thank you. Makes sense, and I'd honestly have to agree, power is solid within this car.
Updated the top post with the pics! Sorry it took me a while, but i wanted to do the pictures some justice. Took the pictures with my DSLR, but there's a bit of compression in there since i did the editing on my phone, uploaded to facebook, then downloaded from there to upload to imgur from my chromebook... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by covance View Post
Great story
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSpeed View Post
Cool story bro.
No but really that was a pleasure to read. Welcome to the club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
Nice story man, makes me realize my dad and I have alot to work on......
Thank you!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ovm_catalyst For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Updated the top post with the pics! Sorry it took me a while, but i wanted to do the pictures some justice. Took the pictures with my DSLR, but there's a bit of compression in there since i did the editing on my phone, uploaded to facebook, then downloaded from there to upload to imgur from my chromebook... lol
Nice images... Thank you so much!

Btw, I haven't dug around for this piece of info much, but are those LED's around the headlight bulbs standard (not the lower placed horizontal DRL's)? If so, when did Subaru add those to the BRZ?

Texas BRZ
Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
ovm_catalyst
Jax86Club

Quote:
Nice images... Thank you so much!

Btw, I haven't dug around for this piece of info much, but are those LED's around the headlight bulbs standard (not the lower placed horizontal DRL's)?
Yep, those are standard for the BRZ. It's the "parking" light. When the E-Brake is down and the stalk is in the parking position, those lights + the DRL will be on.

Edit: I don't know if they were always standard, but i can confirm 100% they're on all the 2015 models... lol
Old 10-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Yep, those are standard for the BRZ. It's the "parking" light. When the E-Brake is down and the stalk is in the parking position, those lights + the DRL will be on.

Edit: I don't know if they were always standard, but i can confirm 100% they're on all the 2015 models... lol
Very cool. Mine should be here sometime in December, and I'll be lucky if it's anytime in November.

Thank you again for the pictures... I'll look at them from time to time until my big day, lol.

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 10-22-2014 at 08:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
ovm_catalyst (10-22-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
aaguilar3

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Very cool story!
aaguilar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaguilar3 For This Useful Post:
ovm_catalyst (01-02-2015)
Old 10-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #14
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Now that's a feels story...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acree For This Useful Post:
ovm_catalyst (01-02-2015), SkAsphalt (10-24-2014)