follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #43
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Come up here I am pretty sure the dealer is giving one away free with every Lexus purchase!
Their own fault as they have done next to nothing to promote them and the only people that have a clue they exist are "car folks".
When I finally got a salesperson to talk to me about mine (normally you look at a car in the showroom for 1/2 an hour you can't get rid of them) their first response was "You really are interested?".
Strangely enough though, I was reading around and a lot of car magazines that had people knowledgeable in actual sales numbers looked it up and most of the "no one is buying them" was complete horse sh*t made up / misinterpreted by people. They exceeded sales projections substantially in almost every single sales period, Toyota just made a lot of those suckers. That being said, if you are in the Midwest in a non metro area, I can see the 86 platform being hilariously unappealing to a normal person who needs their car to hold things that aren't tiny, tiny babies in the back, or perhaps a moderately large sandwich.

I own a 2015 and love it.

Take the plunge OP!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #44
projekkt

Drives: 15 wrb brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
This. Why buy new and lose a few grand right off the bat. The dealer where I got mine had a 2013 with less than 3k miles. They were asking like $23k for it, I'm sure it could have been had for close to $23k OTD. They had another with like 19k miles for like $19k.

I could not justify ever buying a new car unless I was drowning in cash and even then would only buy new if I HAD to have the latest model with very specific options that I would be unable to buy used.
Because sometimes the math works out that way. It all depends on used car demand availability and new car pricing and incentives.

Toyotas in general are notorious for this. A lot of people are raised on the notion that you should buy a used car because you dont take the "few grand" hit for driving it off the lot. So my parents purchased a brand new toyota venza for over 4k off the sticker and 0%.

Tried to buy one thats a year old? 2k off. 10k miles
Tried to buy one thats 2 years old? 3k off. 20k miles
Tried to buy one thats 3 years old? 4k off. 30k miles

So in the end, you can pick the new car for the same price as the 3 year old one with ~0 miles and a lower interest rate. Even if you pay a grand or two more. Is it worth it for the mileage?

This does not apply to all cars ESPECIALLY luxury cars. Those drop like a tank.

The twins are okay. There was a surge of availability in the used market but I expect that to die down as the initial wave of people who bought it to go fast is passing and the general population buys it just buys it for what it is. I expect this car to have similar resale value as the wrx over time. Especially as it drops lower into where people are willing to pay to play as a track car. Every location is different though. I drove my old car to buffalo to sell since it had lowish miles 80k for 8 years which is apparently unheard of in buffalo. Cost me $250 total including a flight back. How much more did I get? 1.5k.

TLDR. sometimes it makes sense to buy new. especially if you're considering a car thats 3 years old and not a luxury car.

edit: also tack on warranty, new car smell, and potentially included maintenance.
projekkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
Strangely enough though, I was reading around and a lot of car magazines that had people knowledgeable in actual sales numbers looked it up and most of the "no one is buying them" was complete horse sh*t made up / misinterpreted by people. They exceeded sales projections substantially in almost every single sales period, Toyota just made a lot of those suckers. That being said, if you are in the Midwest in a non metro area, I can see the 86 platform being hilariously unappealing to a normal person who needs their car to hold things that aren't tiny, tiny babies in the back, or perhaps a moderately large sandwich.

I own a 2015 and love it.

Take the plunge OP!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I agree with you 100% and have had that argument with MANY people! A quick look at the sales numbers show that even with the introduction of used cars to the market the new sales are still growing slightly. Of course the sales had a massive start and then slowed down after all the people that had been waiting for 2 years go the first ones. Some people like to use that initial surge as the baseline to argue "look how much sales have dropped" but it is really an artificially inflated number and not uncommon for a newly introduced vehicle.

I was referring strictly to my home town dealership that can't seem to sell them no matter what. The biggest issue is that they really have not pushed them so many people here have no clue they even exist.
Even the Canadian TV commercial for them (which I saw for the first time ever just a month ago) is wimpy and watered down. Pretty much just shows a Firestorm driving down the road in a straight line and bouncing up and down so much that if I didn't know better would it make me think twice before buying!

I am fine with the limited number sold just makes mine all that more special! If they ever start to hit Mustang/Camaro sales numbers I can guarantee I will be looking for something "different" again. Can't swing a cat without hitting a 'Stang around my place.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #46
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
wow! I wasn't expecting replies on this after it slowed down for a while..

I have been in the market for a used 2013 BRZ now since it is much more affordable and there actually is some room to negotiate. Every scion dealer I went to pushed the pure pricing and refused to negotiate.

It will now come down to 2013 BRZ vs. 2014 New Genny coupe or FRS if I can actually find one at the budgeted price... I doubt it though since it seems the twins are heavily marked up in FL.
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #47
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
wow! I wasn't expecting replies on this after it slowed down for a while..

I have been in the market for a used 2013 BRZ now since it is much more affordable and there actually is some room to negotiate. Every scion dealer I went to pushed the pure pricing and refused to negotiate.

It will now come down to 2013 BRZ vs. 2014 New Genny coupe or FRS if I can actually find one at the budgeted price... I doubt it though since it seems the twins are heavily marked up in FL.
Are the Genesis coupes cheaper than the FRS down there?
I know you could get a stripped down base version for cheaper than an FRS up here but what would be the point?
Can't find a good deal on a 14?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #48
spicyricecake

Quote:
Are the Genesis coupes cheaper than the FRS down there?
I know you could get a stripped down base version for cheaper than an FRS up here but what would be the point?
Can't find a good deal on a 14?

The hyundai dealership is much easier to negotiate with, and these cars are marked up pretty high as it is.

The true car price of the two are very similar, but 2.0t base comes with AT already, while for the FR-S it is a $1200 option.

I've gotten the Genny down to 25,500 and I'm sure there will be more mark down once my father can actually wave some buying power in their face (honestly college kids have a hard time negotiating with salesman... even though I'm told I'm pretty good at haggling.

So the genny can probably be bought within, if not under, budget

while the FR-S will force me to shell out at least another 2k for the car.

I'm not sure why Florida dealers mark up on this car so much... maybe it's the weather and no fear of the winter?

last time I went to a toyota dealer I was told 28800 sticker price for an AT FR-S with 0 dollars in trade-in, and no room to negotiate because of the "pure pricing" policy of scion.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
The hyundai dealership is much easier to negotiate with, and these cars are marked up pretty high as it is.

The true car price of the two are very similar, but 2.0t base comes with AT already, while for the FR-S it is a $1200 option.

I've gotten the Genny down to 25,500 and I'm sure there will be more mark down once my father can actually wave some buying power in their face (honestly college kids have a hard time negotiating with salesman... even though I'm told I'm pretty good at haggling.

So the genny can probably be bought within, if not under, budget

while the FR-S will force me to shell out at least another 2k for the car.

I'm not sure why Florida dealers mark up on this car so much... maybe it's the weather and no fear of the winter?

last time I went to a toyota dealer I was told 28800 sticker price for an AT FR-S with 0 dollars in trade-in, and no room to negotiate because of the "pure pricing" policy of scion.
WOW that is almost the Canadian price! They mark them because they CAN I guess. Just look at the members on here that are from Florida!
HMMMM might be an interesting poll if not done already!
Old 10-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #50
spicyricecake

Quote:
WOW that is almost the Canadian price! They mark them because they CAN I guess. Just look at the members on here that are from Florida!
HMMMM might be an interesting poll if not done already!
That would be extremely handy!

I'm willing to drive to GA to get a lower price, but it's not much better
Old 10-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #51
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
1. Learn stick
2. Buy certified pre-owned
3. ???
4. Profit.
Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #52
dreamingat30fps

Drives: 14 FRS Asphalt Monogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by projekkt View Post
Because sometimes the math works out that way. It all depends on used car demand availability and new car pricing and incentives.

Toyotas in general are notorious for this. A lot of people are raised on the notion that you should buy a used car because you dont take the "few grand" hit for driving it off the lot. So my parents purchased a brand new toyota venza for over 4k off the sticker and 0%.

Tried to buy one thats a year old? 2k off. 10k miles
Tried to buy one thats 2 years old? 3k off. 20k miles
Tried to buy one thats 3 years old? 4k off. 30k miles

So in the end, you can pick the new car for the same price as the 3 year old one with ~0 miles and a lower interest rate. Even if you pay a grand or two more. Is it worth it for the mileage?

This does not apply to all cars ESPECIALLY luxury cars. Those drop like a tank.

The twins are okay. There was a surge of availability in the used market but I expect that to die down as the initial wave of people who bought it to go fast is passing and the general population buys it just buys it for what it is. I expect this car to have similar resale value as the wrx over time. Especially as it drops lower into where people are willing to pay to play as a track car. Every location is different though. I drove my old car to buffalo to sell since it had lowish miles 80k for 8 years which is apparently unheard of in buffalo. Cost me $250 total including a flight back. How much more did I get? 1.5k.

TLDR. sometimes it makes sense to buy new. especially if you're considering a car thats 3 years old and not a luxury car.

edit: also tack on warranty, new car smell, and potentially included maintenance.
Honestly this is my first Japanese car so not sure about this market, however I paid $23.5k OTD on my 2014 Monogram with just under 10k miles on it. Not sure what I could of gotten a new one for, however I did find the window sticker stashed aways in the manuals and it was like $29k new so I don't think I could of gotten that big a discount on it but who knows.

I do agree some cars hold their value very well. Actually my sister has been looking for a Jeep and unless she got something with 100k miles on it the used ones are still pretty pricey.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #53
kinda5150

Drives: 2013 FRS firestorm
dude, try checking out cargurus.com. central fl toyota has a bunch of 2015 automatics (so it says) starting at 23,695. those could be misprints though. still, use the site, email the dealer to see if they will come off the price, and be willing to travel.
kinda5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #54
Obja

Drives: Raven FRS/c5 Corvette
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
geneSHIT
Obja is offline   Reply With Quote