follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #43
PandaBRZ

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Air fuel ratio.

Read my writing about the BRZ on my website.
PandaBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #44
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBRZ View Post
Air fuel ratio.
Implications bro, not the unabbreviated words.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #45
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,254 Times in 678 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I'm really surprised the AFR increases by a full point with a K&N filter. Do we know if the OEM filter used as the baseline was a new/clean one or could it have been dirty?
I love regular maintenance that gives me an excuse to modify and improve the performance of my car. When it comes time to replace my air filter I may get a different style of filter.
That said, I'm concerned about this AFR chart. I get about a dozen or so track days in per year, and am concerned about running lean. Do any of you track guys have evidence to show this is safe in that environment?
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #46
PandaBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Implications bro, not the unabbreviated words.
Ah my bad. From my basic understanding of AFRs, the graph looks to me to imply that panel filters have an AFR curve that's more stoichiometric, or an ideal AFR. This means the engine is running at its peak without being too rich or lean and is making a bit more power because of the drop in filter.

I could be reading the chart all wrong so please, someone correct me.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #47
PandaBRZ

Garage
Also some interesting research from Grimmspeed for their own intake.

"The silicone elbow doesn't appear to have much of an effect on performance (1-2whp with the stock filter and less with the K&N)."

Old 10-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #48
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
People need to realize that when people are adding inlets/ducts that it is also to improve throttle response. On my s2000 I had the spoon duct and even though it didnt add anything on a dyno you could feel the difference in throttle response when your at cruising speed and on the freeway. Once you go faster the ducts then do much better.

You cant imitate freeway speeds with just a dyno fan blowing air into your hood. Thats what people dont understand when it comes to ducts. You arent going to get any enormous gains like you would with CAI. But you do increase throttle response and keep the stock air box and those are actual gains unlike other intakes that just lean out the AFR's. Once you get a tune those intakes dont add shit since the stock oem air box is so well designed already. Your just going to make it harder for the tuner to tune your car by modifying your intake. If anything do that last and get your CBE and headers first.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #49
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
Not worth it from a power perspective.
Why would you say that? 1-2 whp for 100-150 bucks that will only get better when you get more mods done to your exhaust and headers. The inlet allows more air/volume so it will produce results especially when you start doing other mods.

Perrin for example saw a 3-4 whp bump by adding there inlet to their CAI after modifying their cat back exhausts/front/over pipe
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #50
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
People need to realize that when people are adding inlets/ducts that it is also to improve throttle response. On my s2000 I had the spoon duct and even though it didnt add anything on a dyno you could feel the difference in throttle response when your at cruising speed and on the freeway. Once you go faster the ducts then do much better.

You cant imitate freeway speeds with just a dyno fan blowing air into your hood. Thats what people dont understand when it comes to ducts. You arent going to get any enormous gains like you would with CAI. But you do increase throttle response and keep the stock air box and those are actual gains unlike other intakes that just lean out the AFR's. Once you get a tune those intakes dont add shit since the stock oem air box is so well designed already. Your just going to make it harder for the tuner to tune your car by modifying your intake. If anything do that last and get your CBE and headers first.
You have to understand the position of the air inlet on these cars in front of the radiator is in a high pressure area already. Air basically "stacks up" in front of the radiator at speed. Having the inlet facing sideways or facing forwards doesn't really make a difference. The grill opening, radiator, and headlight assemblies create a big high pressure "box". I think Grimmspeed's pressure testing confirmed this. Also at it's smallest point the stock snorkel is as big as the throttle body, so it's not really a restriction. Again, both Grimmspeed & Cosworth confirmed this through testing.
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #51
cmdboy_347

Drives: '13 FR-S, '12 CBR1000RR, 10 Cayenne
I have the Perrin drop in and i barely noticed any differences in performance except for the engine noise.
cmdboy_347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #52
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:

There is so much wrong in this post, don't even know where to begin.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #53
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Why would you say that? 1-2 whp for 100-150 bucks that will only get better when you get more mods done to your exhaust and headers. The inlet allows more air/volume so it will produce results especially when you start doing other mods.

Perrin for example saw a 3-4 whp bump by adding there inlet to their CAI after modifying their cat back exhausts/front/over pipe
No one, will EVER notice 1-2WHP. Would you spend $150 on something you wouldnt notice?
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #54
rs999

Drives: VW MK6 GTI | 13 Mustang GT
The tube is really only good for removing the sound tube from the passenger side.

Really doubtful you'd experience any performance improvements from this mod.
tennisfreak (10-10-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #55
Supertek Industries

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs999 View Post
The tube is really only good for removing the sound tube from the passenger side.

Really doubtful you'd experience any performance improvements from this mod.
We saw +6whp gains when paired with our filter.
Supertek Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #56
lucid215

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertek Industries View Post
We saw +6whp gains when paired with our filter.

can you show some kind of proof of this? not trying to bash, im more curious and tempted on getting this. was it tuned as well to get that or just a replaced and untuned?
lucid215 is offline   Reply With Quote