follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
THEmailman

Drives: Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Track Days at NCCAR

Hey everyone, I posted this in the regional sub-forums but figured I would try and get the more dedicated track enthusiasts here.

I am not sure how familiar people are but there is a track in Roanoke Rapids, NC (along I-95, fairly close to VA) called the North Carolina Center for Automotive Research, NCCAR for short. They have member days but since the program just started it is really an open track day until they get more members. I went last weekend and for $250 for one day, you get open track time from 9am until 5pm (1 hour lunch break with food provided). There were only 4 other cars there and the track is 2 miles long so there is plenty of time for you to get A LOT of open time in.

The track itself is not even 10 years old and has a lot of grip, even in the rain. It doesn't have a dedicated pit lane but they make up for it well. I would almost call the track a larger autocross, as by the time you get done with one turn, you're essentially already at the next. The track is all about weight balance and throttle control and when you put it all together is really a fun time!

The operations manager is a friendly guy and is looking to expand the track day program and I would love to see some more 86's there! Ultimately I would love to get an 86 only day together every now and again but for now I wanted to let everyone who might be interested know that there are two open dates left this year, one on October 25th and the other on November 2nd. If anyone has any questions or is interested let me know; either PM or post here.

Website here: http://nccar.us/facilities/road-course/
Goodridge SS brake lines//ProjectMu 999's//Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid//GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace//Jackson Racing Oil Cooler//Whiteline camber bolts//Raceseng CamCas plates//Kosei K4R 17x8//BFGoodrich Rivals 225/45

THEmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEmailman View Post
I would almost call the track a larger autocross, as by the time you get done with one turn, you're essentially already at the next. The track is all about weight balance and throttle control and when you put it all together is really a fun time!
Sounds similar to the road course at Loudon (New Hampshire Motor Speedway).
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
THEmailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Sounds similar to the road course at Loudon (New Hampshire Motor Speedway).
That was the first track I ever drove on, it was a blast and I would love to go back again. Doesn't quite have the banking or elevation of NHMS but yes, very similar in that the turns come one after another.
Goodridge SS brake lines//ProjectMu 999's//Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid//GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace//Jackson Racing Oil Cooler//Whiteline camber bolts//Raceseng CamCas plates//Kosei K4R 17x8//BFGoodrich Rivals 225/45

Old 09-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yea, Sam is an awesome guy. I was going to set up a 86 track day before I moved to FL. He'll go as low as $600 for a private test day, so getting 4 cars as a team would make it very affordable.
RaceCar:2013 Scion FR-S #986 NASA PTD || Tow:2011 Dodge Durango R/T
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phastafrican For This Useful Post:
THEmailman (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phastafrican View Post
Yea, Sam is an awesome guy. I was going to set up a 86 track day before I moved to FL. He'll go as low as $600 for a private test day, so getting 4 cars as a team would make it very affordable.
nice, I'm down if someone wants to set one up on a weekday the week of Oct 27
Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
THEmailman

I don't think I'll be able to get time off during that week but if others on here want to, Sam True is the guy to contact and he is easy to work with. His contact info is on the website.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
THEWAKLER
USMC

Drives: DGM BRZ LMT
I'd definitely be intersted in attending something up there. Will have to check the schedule and see what dates work.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
THEmailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWAKLER View Post
I'd definitely be intersted in attending something up there. Will have to check the schedule and see what dates work.
Let me know. We will have to wait until the winter-time to get a group together, at the earliest, but if you can attend the open days and check it out, that would be awesome! Or talk with ZionsWrath up above and see if you can get a small private event together.