follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-18-2014, 02:21 AM   #7239
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myioz86 View Post
Well i am from oz and i dont like the way gums has run his cables over the top of the motor . i want to run down the left side of the car to controller hiding the wires as i go , then from the controller under the air box to the ESC unit. as far as i can tell doing it this way all i need to extend is the pedal switch. just need to know how long wires are on american vertion. this way i dont have to wait for rob to mod on to suit oz cars.

Thanks John

I understand you want to assess the fitment of a Nth American version for Aussie.

For the Aussie version, I discussed wire runs with Rob in January. I also provided measurements and pictures of runs in the engine bay. The shortest run was best for the ESC. Rob wanted to keep the controller on the right side of the car because this last final wiring of the unit was the most crucial to keep short. Also, the wire from battery to controller shortest run is where Gums has it. I remember Rob saying that if the run is longer, the wire needs to be much thicker.

If you want different, you may need to specially request Rob.

I think Gums will check his message and reply. I think the final lengths on his car was different to the measurements I provided.
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keen as For This Useful Post:
Gums (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #7240
myioz86

Drives: gt-86 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Very good "Keen as" thanks for the info. i wonder how may aus units are on order. has any one herd when the next lot of ESC will be released. "This wait is killing me"
myioz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #7241
gtfapollo

Drives: Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myioz86 View Post
Very good "Keen as" thanks for the info. i wonder how may aus units are on order. has any one herd when the next lot of ESC will be released. "This wait is killing me"
I believe it's at the stage where it will be 'soon'. That's it that's all. @fenton always lets us know information as soon as he gets it. He will never withhold it. @Robftss pops on every now and then with interesting news. I know for many it's frustrating dealing with the wait - the product is fantastic, but just sit tight and the information will always come. No point in reporting on no new news. Progress is only as fast as progress goes and the more people asking won't change that. Yes there is a delay, yes it is still essentially a work in progress as revisions and continual improvements are still being made. We are a fortunate bunch to be taking part of this 'experiment' and development of electric forced induction. There is limited quantities being produced and the reasons for this have been explained. @Robftss is strict on his quality control and is dedicated to perfecting this product to 'idiot proof' stage. You can't do this in any quick manner. I am actually quite surprised at the pace in which this product is being developed at to be honest. Give it time. It will come. The longer the wait, the better it will be.
gtfapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtfapollo For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-18-2014), fenton (08-18-2014), Gums (08-18-2014), Sojhinn (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #7242
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
Rob wanted to keep the controller on the right side of the car because this last final wiring of the unit was the most crucial to keep short.
I have to admit, I have entertained ideas of a shorter run to the controller.
This ^ pretty much puts these ideas to bed without a major redesign, which wouldn't be worth the trouble.
@Robftss in the RHD kits current configuration, what percentage loss would you estimate the longer cables (batteries to controller) give over the LHD kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfapollo View Post
I believe it's at the stage where it will be 'soon'. That's it that's all. @fenton always lets us know information as soon as he gets it. He will never withhold it. @Robftss pops on every now and then with interesting news. I know for many it's frustrating dealing with the wait - the product is fantastic, but just sit tight and the information will always come. No point in reporting on no new news. Progress is only as fast as progress goes and the more people asking won't change that. Yes there is a delay, yes it is still essentially a work in progress as revisions and continual improvements are still being made. We are a fortunate bunch to be taking part of this 'experiment' and development of electric forced induction. There is limited quantities being produced and the reasons for this have been explained. @Robftss is strict on his quality control and is dedicated to perfecting this product to 'idiot proof' stage. You can't do this in any quick manner. I am actually quite surprised at the pace in which this product is being developed at to be honest. Give it time. It will come. The longer the wait, the better it will be.
Very true and well said.
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #7243
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
OK I'm ready to take a break from my experimentation with alcohol. I've gone through 100 gallons and it's about time to give the system a good gasoline rinsing. Plus I might as well take advantage of the current relatively low gas prices.

So, how important is it to drain the tank of e85 before I give it gas and change the tune? Seems like it wouldn't be as critical as going the other way (from gas to alcohol).

Another thing I was wondering about is, what would be the effect of mixing e85 and 89 0ctane? Or e85 and California's crappy 91 octane? The last time I was at the e85 pump I noticed the sticker on the pump that said "octane rating no less than 116". Seems like you could come up with the right proportions to turn cheap 89 octane into 93 and save a lot of money.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #7244
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
OK I'm ready to take a break from my experimentation with alcohol. I've gone through 100 gallons and it's about time to give the system a good gasoline rinsing. Plus I might as well take advantage of the current relatively low gas prices.

So, how important is it to drain the tank of e85 before I give it gas and change the tune? Seems like it wouldn't be as critical as going the other way (from gas to alcohol).

Another thing I was wondering about is, what would be the effect of mixing e85 and 89 0ctane? Or e85 and California's crappy 91 octane? The last time I was at the e85 pump I noticed the sticker on the pump that said "octane rating no less than 116". Seems like you could come up with the right proportions to turn cheap 89 octane into 93 and save a lot of money.
Unless you run a flex fuel kit on your car it will not like running a mix of e85 and 91 or 89. Your octane rating will be good but the Oxygen percentage will be way off causing your car to have terrible fuel trims.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-19-2014), WNDSRFR (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #7245
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Run it as close to true empty as you can. Like @fenton says, running ethanol blend above e10 will really mess with your trims. Get all the e85 out as possible before you fill up. Most cars have 2-2.5 gals left when the low fuel warning light comes on. I use a conservative 20mpg on e85, so will start the trip odometer when the light comes on, drive 40 miles and fill up. That gives me roughly a 10 mile buffer before running out. Or you can skip all that and just put a small jerry can full of gas in your trunk.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
WNDSRFR (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #7246
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Personally I wouldn't mix fuels unless I had a flex fuel kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
WNDSRFR (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #7247
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Also here is a brief update to summarize my feelings towards this product since I have had it "properly" installed. ...... Here goes ....... ........ Orgasmic
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (08-19-2014), Sojhinn (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #7248
silent runner

Drives: 93'Camry, 82'Corolla, 76' Celica
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The fuel mix/tune stuff is very interesting, but it sounds pretty complex as to reaching for the best with the system in the hands of you guys running the FRS/BRZ platform. Don't get me wrong, you guys are probing and testing, and I'm totally enjoying the process!

I've been playing with a little better alignment of my system, and relocating my batteries for a little shorter main power feed, from the dump pack. I had a little late night run last night and got some results myself! I was just on a test drive, but came across a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe, with the V-6 and 6spd. combo. I sucker punched him a little by taking off gently to 15mph or so and hitting it, (he must have been anticipating, because he hit it about 1/2 second later) but my old family car held him right back there until a pretty good speed, where I was turning off anyway. From what I've read, these Accord V-6, 6spd cars, put up some good numbers.

It's funny, I've gotten used to extra power, but I've adjusted to that expectation, and it all seems rather normal now, even casual. Thats the paradox of extra power for many people, including myself. A quicker rush from the gas pedal is rewarding at first, then it's normal, then it can be just a teaser to want more. I need to chill a bit, and just enjoy driving for awhile. Any more power, and I'm just going to start breaking things.
silent runner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silent runner For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #7249
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent runner View Post
The fuel mix/tune stuff is very interesting, but it sounds pretty complex as to reaching for the best with the system in the hands of you guys running the FRS/BRZ platform. Don't get me wrong, you guys are probing and testing, and I'm totally enjoying the process!

I've been playing with a little better alignment of my system, and relocating my batteries for a little shorter main power feed, from the dump pack. I had a little late night run last night and got some results myself! I was just on a test drive, but came across a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe, with the V-6 and 6spd. combo. I sucker punched him a little by taking off gently to 15mph or so and hitting it, (he must have been anticipating, because he hit it about 1/2 second later) but my old family car held him right back there until a pretty good speed, where I was turning off anyway. From what I've read, these Accord V-6, 6spd cars, put up some good numbers.

It's funny, I've gotten used to extra power, but I've adjusted to that expectation, and it all seems rather normal now, even casual. Thats the paradox of extra power for many people, including myself. A quicker rush from the gas pedal is rewarding at first, then it's normal, then it can be just a teaser to want more. I need to chill a bit, and just enjoy driving for awhile. Any more power, and I'm just going to start breaking things.

If you want to bring back the rush, turn the ESC off for about 10 minutes and take some WOT pulls. Then flip it back on. It'll help you remember how much better the car is with it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #7250
fenton

Oh boy.... It was a little cooler today and WOW what a difference with this new setup. Earlier it was usually 30 to 33c and today it was 18....I've got to say I am damn impressed.... With this new setup the pull you feel at 4000 rpm with the tq250 is what you feel at 7000 rpm with the 300. Really hoping I can get to a dyno soon and hoping @Shiv@Openflash will be able to do a remote tune for us to get some new baseline numbers
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-19-2014), enwave (08-20-2014), Gums (08-20-2014), jflogerzi (08-19-2014), raven1231 (08-19-2014), Sojhinn (08-19-2014), WRB5titch (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #7251
07jazzrs5gt86

Drives: Firestorm 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Oh boy.... It was a little cooler today and WOW what a difference with this new setup. Earlier it was usually 30 to 33c and today it was 18....I've got to say I am damn impressed.... With this new setup the pull you feel at 4000 rpm with the tq250 is what you feel at 7000 rpm with the 300. Really hoping I can get to a dyno soon and hoping @Shiv@Openflash will be able to do a remote tune for us to get some new baseline numbers
Are there's a list for this new 300 yet?
You can definitely add me to the list while i still waiting for the 250tq though
07jazzrs5gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #7252
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07jazzrs5gt86 View Post
Are there's a list for this new 300 yet?
You can definitely add me to the list while i still waiting for the 250tq though
No list yet no. Rob said 6 months at least.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive