follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #71
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Is the RPM supposed to bounce arond every 10 seconds or so with the AC on? Seems like I've been bouncing from 500rpm to 1000 rpm and back to a normal 700rpm very frequently at idle... Tuned with OFT, dunno if that makes a difference.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #72
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Is the RPM supposed to bounce arond every 10 seconds or so with the AC on? Seems like I've been bouncing from 500rpm to 1000 rpm and back to a normal 700rpm very frequently at idle... Tuned with OFT, dunno if that makes a difference.
That's just the a/c clutch kicking in. That it at least normal.
P86RAVES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P86RAVES For This Useful Post:
l0aded (05-09-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #73
enginrd

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fixed stall/rattle/bucking with AC on, braking/coasting below 30mph

I have a newish BRZ, production date Nov 2013. In neutral, with A/C on, while lightly braking, around 20-25mph, the engine RPM's would dip to about 550 for a second or two, then go back up.

If this sounds like your problem, please look up TSB 11-136-14, dated 3/26/14. "Reprogramming File Availability for Idle Stability and Extended Engine Cranking"

I went to a dealership twice about this, but only knew about the TSB the second time. Long story short, the service manager said he would apply the fix even though he thought it was not appropriate for my vehicle. Lo and behold, it fixed the problem (so far). Also, it is too early to say, but I think my Avg MPG calculation is less inflated now.

Edit 3 weeks later:
The reprogramming did not fix the problem completely. It still happens, though its less frequent.

Last edited by enginrd; 09-09-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Update
enginrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #74
Fender0122

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #75
HotLavaChick

Drives: '15 Hot Lava FRS
my brand new 2015 frs a/t is doing this when i park and idle .. it started after first 100 miles
HotLavaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #76
arvidj

Drives: '93 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLavaChick View Post
my brand new 2015 frs a/t is doing this when i park and idle .. it started after first 100 miles
My 2015 FRS a/t also does this in park and neutral.

I took it into the dealer in October and after two days they said "it was normal" because (a) they had no clue how to fix it and (b) they had another 2015 that did the same thing.

I have had many, many cars in the last 50 years and none of them exhibited this type of idle. I tried to explain to them that I did not think this was "normal". The fact that they had another 2015 that exhibited this behavior does not make it normal. That argument is like writing "2 + 2 = 5" on the black board and then calling it "normal". It is not normal. It is simply "consistently wrong".

They did say that if I could get enough names together they would take it to Scion and ask to have it resolved. Like having two cars that are messed up is not enough to get them to do the right thing.

Anyone else think we should try to create a list of names and serial numbers and see if it goes anywhere?

Arvid
arvidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #77
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvidj View Post

I took it into the dealer in October and after two days they said "it was normal" because (a) they had no clue how to fix it and (b) they had another 2015 that did the same thing.

I have had many, many cars in the last 50 years and none of them exhibited this type of idle. I tried to explain to them that I did not think this was "normal". The fact that they had another 2015 that exhibited this behavior does not make it normal. That argument is like writing "2 + 2 = 5" on the black board and then calling it "normal". It is not normal. It is simply "consistently wrong".

They did say that if I could get enough names together they would take it to Scion and ask to have it resolved. Like having two cars that are messed up is not enough to get them to do the right thing.

Anyone else think we should try to create a list of names and serial numbers and see if it goes anywhere?

Arvid
Jesus guys, it's the damn accessories kicking in. How hard is this to understand? Stop being paranoid!
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #78
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
After owning many cars the idle on this car is just plain odd. What mine does , from day one (have 2013), is drop the idle below 500 during hard stops. But never during slow stops. I have never seen that before on other cars.

What RPM in park/idle are you noticing that does not seem right?
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
VeezyF (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #79
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Jesus guys, it's the damn accessories kicking in. How hard is this to understand? Stop being paranoid!
Thank you for being one of the only other lucid people here. I read threads all day about this bullshit. my Camry did it too. It's your ac and all the other dumb shit your car needs on that has to draw power and can only run for a bit at idle rpm before your car kicks it up to keep it alive.

Have you guys driven literally any other car? I have never been in an affordable (<=25k ) car that didn't do this in idle with accessories on.

Quote:

Arvid

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatalelement For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-31-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #80
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,812 Times in 19,087 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
Thank you for being one of the only other lucid people here. I read threads all day about this bullshit. my Camry did it too. It's your ac and all the other dumb shit your car needs on that has to draw power and can only run for a bit at idle rpm before your car kicks it up to keep it alive.

Have you guys driven literally any other car? I have never been in an affordable (<=25k ) car that didn't do this in idle with accessories on.
SkyNet hacked in through my bluetooth!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:14 AM   #81
HotLavaChick

Drives: '15 Hot Lava FRS
so why is there so many articles about ECU and replacement for 2013-2014 --- i have a brand new 2015 and it started doing it
HotLavaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #82
arvidj

Drives: '93 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
I am assuming that the thought that I am intelligent enough or over the past 50 years of owning and working on cars have accumulated enough knowledge to know what "an accessory kicking in" might look like is beyond your abilities.

If my assumption about your abilities is incorrect then please explain to all of us why this phenomenon only appears if the vehicle is in park or neutral? Is there some special accessory that only kicks in when in park or neutral and when in drive or reverse does not kick in and therefore the idle is rock solid?

Please feel free to elaborate on your description of this special accessory.

Here is a visual aid to assist in you explanation ... [ame="http://youtu.be/nKIvR7jHHY4"]http://youtu.be/nKIvR7jHHY4[/ame]

Be sure to explain why the idle will be at 750 RPM, then slowly drop to 500 RPM, then quickly accelerate to slightly less than 1000 RPM and then slowly drop back to 750 RPM. This 10 - 15 second cycle will repeat over and over until you shut the car off.

A 500 RPM variance is one hell of an accessory kicking on and off, and it does not do it abruptly like an air conditioner compressor clutch but rather "oozes" from each RPM to the next.

Note that when the air conditioning compressor clutch engages and disengages there is a noticeable click, a minor change in RPM and it happens no matter what position the gear selector is in, and will happen even if the air conditioner is turned off if the heater controls are in any of the windshield defogging positions. I became familiar with this phenomenon in my first air conditioned car ... a new 1973 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Quote:
Given that I have owned cars for over 50 years I believe I can answer 'Have you guys driven literally any other car?" in the affirmative. Given that I have never had a car that exhibited this type of idle I find the FR-S behavior strange. Examples of cars that I have recently driven that do not exhibit this behavior includes the new Camry I used while they had the FR-S in for diagnosis, the wife's Yaris, either of my MR-2's, our Toyota truck, the neighbors Toyota truck, the other neighbors Dodge Ram, the son-in-laws Ford truck, ... but that is only in the last 6 month.

Anxiously awaiting your explanation ...

Last edited by arvidj; 12-31-2014 at 09:15 AM.
arvidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #83
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,982 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Be sure to explain why the idle will be at 750 RPM, then slowly drop to 500 RPM, then quickly accelerate to slightly less than 1000 RPM and then slowly drop back to 750 RPM. This 10 - 15 second cycle will repeat over and over until you shut the car off.

A 500 RPM variance is one hell of an accessory kicking on and off, and it does not do it abruptly like an air conditioner compressor clutch but rather "oozes" from each RPM to the next.

Note that when the air conditioning compressor clutch engages and disengages there is a noticeable click, a minor change in RPM and it happens no matter what position the gear selector is in, and will happen even if the air conditioner is turned off if the heater controls are in any of the windshield defogging positions. I became familiar with this phenomenon in my first air conditioned car ... a new 1973 Pontiac Grand Prix.

You guys in usa/canada have had quite a few ECU calid updates to supposedly fix the idle issue for auto/manuals, we got a couple of updates in Oz as well not as many as you guys though, does not appear to be as much of an issue in Oz

ZA1J700D original
900D idle / VVT cam fix
A00D idle / VVT cam fix 2
A01D transient retard DI seal fix
B00D idle fix
B01D more idle fix for A/C 2 last rom id for My 2014 and earlier cars
D00D latest calid for auto my2015

looks like they still have not got it sorted completely yet

most tuners bump up idle from factory standard 650 to 750 rpm which help a lot.

fair few people on this forum are tuned so the issue is diminished for them

t
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #84
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Anxiously awaiting your explanation ...
Steve hit it on the head. It's not a big deal in other words. Your 50 years of automotive experience is nullified by the vast changes in car ECU architecture and implementation. Do you realize that it's above and beyond just simple mechanisms and that our idle is controlled by a complex ECU? Have you ever worked with and tuned Renesas style ECUs? Are you worried there's some mystery leak or misalignment, or your engine is simply 'different'?

Have you tried tuning? Did you get the TSB flash updates- which, by the way, were served because of people stalling and bucking under certain conditions, not just NORMAL RPM fluctuation. Are you truly worried there's something 'wrong' with your vehicle to the point of being that butthurt about it?

I said accessories, but I should have worded it as thus: "DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT"
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-31-2014)