follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 08-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #24095
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,093 Times in 2,234 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
What are some of the high end stuff you really like?
so not on the radar.
much dis-interest.
wow
Sorry. Winning.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #24096
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
so not on the radar.
much dis-interest.
wow
Sorry. Winning.
Reminds me that good old Charlie Sheen claimed a hooker stole a Patek chrono from him during his winning phase.

Such watch...

Because titanium.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #24097
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
@serialk11r

Seriously thinking of starting a watch company next year.

What are some of the high end stuff you really like?
High end? I mean, I'm hardly swimming in cash so I don't really look at high end stuff, but I like JLCs in general and tourbillon bling lol. I might have to get that 818.900 Seagull tourbillon for myself as a graduation present or something, yay irresponsible purchases. Speaking of irresponsible purchases, a Porsche 996 would be an incredibly irresponsible purchase for a fresh college grad with a low income, but damn every time I see one on the road I want one so bad.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #24098
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
High end? I mean, I'm hardly swimming in cash so I don't really look at high end stuff, but I like JLCs in general and tourbillon bling lol. I might have to get that 818.900 Seagull tourbillon for myself as a graduation present or something, yay irresponsible purchases. Speaking of irresponsible purchases, a Porsche 996 would be an incredibly irresponsible purchase for a fresh college grad with a low income, but damn every time I see one on the road I want one so bad.
I can source 100% Swiss, thin (<4.5mm) auto tourbillon movements for ~10k CAD. Minimum 10.

Perpetual calendar, micro rotor automatic for ~5.2k CAD. Minimum 25.

Just wanted some style opinions on the fancy stuff that catch your eye.

Probably going to do something around an ETA 2893-2 (GMT) Movement as a case, dial and strap prototype, then try to crowd source for a batch of movements. At 100+ orders they will customize the shape of the plates and bridges for a unique appearing movement.

Perpetual calendar is tough style-wise. The layout is pointers for the day, month, date at 3, 9, 12. Leap year window at 12. Then moon phase and small seconds at 6. Trying to think how to style a dial that's kinda cluttered. The big order quantity let you choose windows for day/month/date if you want, or a centre retrograde date hand...

Because titanium.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #24099
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Just wanted some style opinions on the fancy stuff that catch your eye.

Probably going to do something around an ETA 2893-2 (GMT) Movement as a case, dial and strap prototype, then try to crowd source for a batch of movements. At 100+ orders they will customize the shape of the plates and bridges for a unique appearing movement.

Perpetual calendar is tough style-wise. The layout is pointers for the day, month, date at 3, 9, 12. Leap year window at 12. Then moon phase and small seconds at 6. Trying to think how to style a dial that's kinda cluttered. The big order quantity let you choose windows for day/month/date if you want, or a centre retrograde date hand...
I mean, my taste is probably very far from the taste of people who actually buy these things lol. I like simple clean watches with a classic design, if it's got bling it needs to be bling that shows off the mechanical bits, not a shitload of dials and functions, but I would almost bet money that rich people tend to like the weird shit.

Oh yea, I am pretty sure my cheapo Seagull (the 130 dollar one) 50m water resistance rating is BS. I know it doesn't leak when I accidentally shower with it on or whatever, but I hopped on a plane to the Midwest and the ultra humid air there somehow got into the watch and now some of the stainless steel bits aren't shiny anymore. I noticed condensation on the crystal in cold air conditioned rooms. I think the seal leaked under the pressure difference between the plane cabin at altitude, cuz I've seen mini shampoo bottles and stuff leak on the plane so I guess plane cabins are slightly below sea level pressure? It still works just fine but I hate how it is not as shiny anymore when you look closely at it :/
Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #24100
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
I mean, my taste is probably very far from the taste of people who actually buy these things lol. I like simple clean watches with a classic design, if it's got bling it needs to be bling that shows off the mechanical bits, not a shitload of dials and functions, but I would almost bet money that rich people tend to like the weird shit.

Oh yea, I am pretty sure my cheapo Seagull (the 130 dollar one) 50m water resistance rating is BS. I know it doesn't leak when I accidentally shower with it on or whatever, but I hopped on a plane to the Midwest and the ultra humid air there somehow got into the watch and now some of the stainless steel bits aren't shiny anymore. I noticed condensation on the crystal in cold air conditioned rooms. I think the seal leaked under the pressure difference between the plane cabin at altitude, cuz I've seen mini shampoo bottles and stuff leak on the plane so I guess plane cabins are slightly below sea level pressure? It still works just fine but I hate how it is not as shiny anymore when you look closely at it :/
The case or the movement parts aren't shiney anymore?

The company I'm looking at does movements for some fancy companies, Richard Mille and Harry Winston for example:

These guys have a custom cut skeleton each with the micro-rotor. There is a generic skeleton and standard version of this movement for ~2.5k CAD. Also 25 unit minimum. But I don't have a generic skeleton PIC yet. This is configurable in 2 hand, 3 hand small seconds, and a date with the non skeleton.

Because titanium.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #24101
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
That's a pretty cool watch. I'd love to have a nice skeleton.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #24102
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
That's a pretty cool watch. I'd love to have a nice skeleton.
You can get cheap Chinese skeletons for about $130.

http://www.good-stuffs.com/Sea-Gull-...atic_p_46.html

The two I posted are ultra Swiss skeletons.

http://www.chrono24.com/ca/richardmi...arch/index.htm

http://www.chrono24.com/ca/harrywins...arch/index.htm

Because titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (08-04-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #24103
serialk11r

Garage
It's inside the watch, the outside is fine. The actual gears and balance wheel and stuff are fine, but some of the structural bits have some coating of haze on them :/

It's okay, upon close inspection you could see the not-too-smooth finish on the parts when it was brand new but still, kind of a bummer. Sending it back to the factory might be cost effective but whatever.

That first micro-rotor skeleton with the partially blue frame looks dope btw.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #24104
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
It's inside the watch, the outside is fine. The actual gears and balance wheel and stuff are fine, but some of the structural bits have some coating of haze on them :/

It's okay, upon close inspection you could see the not-too-smooth finish on the parts when it was brand new but still, kind of a bummer. Sending it back to the factory might be cost effective but whatever.

That first micro-rotor skeleton with the partially blue frame looks dope btw.
Inside watches aren't stainless. It's either nickel plated brass or German nickel silver. It can tarnish/oxidise. Probably what happened with moisture. I think the old American watches used stainless Invar in them. I have a 1950s Lord Elgin whose plates and bridges look new still...

That blue Richard Mille is $46k US! Frame is titanium, probably anodised blue.

Because titanium.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #24105
LadyFRZ
Car N00b

Drives: 97 Miata
Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
well....Turns out my university is just a tad bit late.

I graduated with my bachelor's in May, and I get a letter (dated in July), saying I made dean's list for the spring 2014 semester.
Hey, it's the thought that counts. WOOHOO,DEAN'S LIST.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #24106
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Can anyone on here explain how Google search works? How results can be 'adjusted'?

I'm on another forum involved in a manufacturer controversy and I'm curious as to why the most active thread doesn't show up on Google search, until we get into the 'more from this site' option. And even there it shows the thread as 4 days old with only 3 authors, despite being a current shitstorm with 9 pages and 248 posts by many contributors. It shows up low enough to not make page one despite being the largest, most recent and most active.

Can you game Google by sending bots to other more favourable sites? Or do you just outright buy blocks from them?

Because titanium.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #24107
Vincent
Banned

Drives: My body.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Random thoughts, huh? Boom stahkle. Is that random enough? Man, I have not posted here in a while.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #24108
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can anyone on here explain how Google search works? How results can be 'adjusted'?

I'm on another forum involved in a manufacturer controversy and I'm curious as to why the most active thread doesn't show up on Google search, until we get into the 'more from this site' option. And even there it shows the thread as 4 days old with only 3 authors, despite being a current shitstorm with 9 pages and 248 posts by many contributors. It shows up low enough to not make page one despite being the largest, most recent and most active.

Can you game Google by sending bots to other more favourable sites? Or do you just outright buy blocks from them?
For my non-responsible uneducated guess: did Google search based on their huge *cached* data rather than the live data? I would imagine they have robots caching web information into their *data center* sorted for their search to work rather than searching *live* data on the net. Therefore, the data in Google may not be updated based on current information. However, in a few days or so, it may catch up on the data.

Having said that, I think there are ways for Google to filter or re-sort the order of search result based on whatever policy they put in place...
The Following User Says Thank You to Want.FR-S For This Useful Post:
Dimman (08-04-2014)
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?